International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Build Threads

Old 07-28-2021, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heep-J4000
Looking good!

And all jeeps are marking their spot with oil , so I would say no problems!

A old carpet is very useful for when you're truck is leaking oil!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiserjeeps
If it is not leaking, it is empty right? Looks like you are staying pretty busy.
looking great and almost burnout ready.
Very true! I have had little bits of time over the years where it will go about a month or so with no leaks. Then a new one will pop up just to keep me on my toes. Me and leaks are like Joe Montana and Jerry Rice, Peanut butter and chocolate, CA smog checks and full size Jeeps; we just go well together, I guess. I was able to get that leak taken care of (was just the rear output of the xfer case) but have a new one at my trans cooler fan switch. yay!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLSAKS
glad your project is doing good,...photos are not showing for me....dangit.

but I know it is cool.

take care rang.

dave
Thanks Dave! The website I use for pictures had a bad certificate for a while and EVERY picture I ever posted stopped showing. I was too mad to mess with it at the time so I just ignored it. They should all be up now, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagoneer Taylor
Looking great! Wish I was making the progress you were.

But I will be soon
PSH! You make more progress than I do! It's just not on the Wedding Wagon! It's all on Ramcharger 2.0. I'm excited to see the wedding Wagon start to come together, soon!
A LOT has been going on lately. So I am going to write a few bullet points. None of these really matter:
1) My daughter is moving to Vancouver WA
2) I bought an RV
3) My Mazda puked
4) The wife's pathfinder puked
5) A bunch of bidness travel

With all that in mind, I have been daily'ing my Cherk for the last 5 or so weeks. I have probably put about 1500 miles on it, and it has been good! My fender flare is unfinished, I have a SWEET set of rocklaurence's lower spring plates waiting to go on(https://rocklaurencevintageautoparts...-sway-bar-stud), I still need to swap windshields, and I want to get my cruise control and A/C going. I have both my Mazda and Pathfinder back on the road and when i get home from moving my daughter I should have some time to wrench on my turd some more.

And a token picture: I got this cool little tach from bkilby and made a mount for it that seems pretty inconspicuous. I will paint the mount when I paint the dash so it hides a little more.
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 07-28-2021, 01:32 PM
232 I6

Nice, I've been trying to figure out a way to mount a tach in mine.
Old 07-28-2021, 02:52 PM
258 I6

Well I'm glad at least you are driving yours. With all that going on, when are you moving to Idaho???

"Well I've been down so God damn long! and it looks like up to me..." Furry Lewis (but Doors version)
Old 07-28-2021, 05:54 PM

Rag, the tac is perfect. Mine is a Large 1980's Sun Tac mounted under the dash! I have a nice replacement but Ive decided that Im going to install it in my custom center console--which will likely never get built
Old 07-28-2021, 11:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkedmonkey
Nice, I've been trying to figure out a way to mount a tach in mine.
I used an extra bracket that came with a set of mini blinds and a cheap gauge cup from Amazon! Hahaha!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehwy
Well I'm glad at least you are driving yours. With all that going on, when are you moving to Idaho???
Was driving it... more below.
The last renters moved into our house on June 15, 2021, meaning, they move out June 15, 2022. Which means we will move in, right after that! WOOOoooo hoooo! Less than 11 months to go!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocklaurence
Rag, the tac is perfect. Mine is a Large 1980's Sun Tac mounted under the dash! I have a nice replacement but Ive decided that Im going to install it in my custom center console--which will likely never get built
For sure! When bkilby offered it, I was STOKED! It's little and totally out of the way but fits just right.
At 11:45 today I posted this
Quote:
Originally Posted by rang-a-stang
...I have probably put about 1500 miles on it, and it has been good!...
At 6:00 today:

Son was heading up a hill and the wheel studs gave out. I have wheel spacers and have replaced the studs before. I probably got bad studs AND I pulled them through the flange rather than press them in.

I did not triage the damage but the drum is toast, brake pieces are missing, and other carnage. I literally JUST gave away my spare axle and it had EVERYTHING I will need to fix this.
The sticker worked this time; twice, people honked at my son as he sat there waiting for me to show up.

Tow truck driver had mad skillz!

Carnage on the back side of the wheel

3 studs broken, 3 studs pulled through their nuts

Its going to sit for a few weeks. I need to get my daughter moved. I need to get some other stuff done. Not sure what I am going to do yet. I may get good studs and keep the spacers... or not.

Theme of my Jeep: It could have been so much worse. I'm saying that again tonight. That's what I get for saying my truck has been good.
Old 07-29-2021, 10:52 AM
258 I6

Mad skills for sure for the tow driver.

Love the sticker. Unfortunately it has too much truth.

I have drums off my 79...

"Well I've been down so God damn long! and it looks like up to me..." Furry Lewis (but Doors version)
Old 07-29-2021, 05:18 PM
327 Rambler

Rang. Maybe it's time for some 15x8 chrome factory wheels?
Old 07-30-2021, 12:28 PM
232 I6

Man, you've had some bad luck for a while now. Hope no one got hurt in traffic. Did it just come loose or did it fall off? Might be time to ditch those spacers?

77 SJ 401
72 Commando 304
07 Toyota Sienna
76 HD FLH
Old 08-01-2021, 03:32 PM
258 I6

Wow that could have ended much worse!

Luckily nobody got hurt and your Jeep stayed up right.

Hope you get it soon back in one piece and driving it into the next adventure.

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=180974

99' Dodge ram 2500 4x4 crew cab 5.9 Cummins ,backup work truck for now
73' Jeep J4000 (named Heep or Desert Dragon) amc 360 V8 converted to LPG with T15/D20 (was my daily work truck for thirteen years and is going to have major overhaul
80' Jeep cj5 350 V8 Chevy/ms420/D300 (a slow ongoing never finished project)

Trucks/car's from the past:
85' Volkswagen caddy mk1 1.6 diesel.
83 Toyota land cruiser BJ42 3.4 diesel.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:13 AM
258 I6

Rang you are a big jinx!
Old 08-04-2021, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Quote:

Mad skills for sure for the tow driver.

Love the sticker. Unfortunately it has too much truth.

I have drums off my 79...
For sure. (sticker)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78 WIDETRAC
I wonder where I could get a set. hmmm....
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonphil
Man, you've had some bad luck for a while now. Hope no one got hurt in traffic. Did it just come loose or did it fall off? Might be time to ditch those spacers?
I don't think its bad luck, I think 80% of my problems are bad worksmanship and/or poor attention to detail on my part.
When I rolled up to the truck, wheel/tire was stuck in the wheel well. I put my jack under the axle to lift it and pulled the tire out to inspect the carnage. The drum is in my trunk and has some pieces of lug stud in it. I think it was already slightly compromised and he hit a pot hole that finished it off; there was a pot hole about 6' behind where I found him. The road he was on was pretty steep and he had no E-Brake and putting it in Park would not work either so he was sitting there with his foot on the brake pedal to keep it from rolling down the hill. First thing I did when I got there was strap my turd to the back of the wife's car to hold it in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heep-J4000
Wow that could have ended much worse!

Luckily nobody got hurt and your Jeep stayed up right.

Hope you get it soon back in one piece and driving it into the next adventure.
YES!! I need another sticker, next to my Solsaks "Honk..." sticker that says "...it could have been much worse"
Quote:
Originally Posted by wincher
Rang you are a big jinx!
Well said, sir! Well said.
All repair parts are in route. 2 new drums showed up last night. I hope to have this back on the road very soon after I get back from PacNorWest (next week).
Old 08-04-2021, 02:51 PM

Holy-BahJesus! I would never suspect a failure like that. Could it be that you Over-tightened them with an Impact gun?
Old 08-05-2021, 12:24 AM
232 I6

You are way to modest
That last view has to be Camarillo, citrus trees in the back ground?

77 SJ 401
72 Commando 304
07 Toyota Sienna
76 HD FLH
Old 08-05-2021, 07:11 PM
350 Buick

Yikes, Yikes, YIKES !

1977 "401" 'Da Chief
1979 Chero: "Madness" [Sold]
1985 CJ : Renegade -locked and loaded
2005 Unlimited Rubicon - Built
2001 XJ : Driver - 2016 JK 2 door

'Da Chief here: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...ighlight=chief

Round 2- LT Swap: 'Da Chief:
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=188457

"Madness" build here:
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=89280
Old 08-12-2021, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocklaurence
Holy-BahJesus! I would never suspect a failure like that. Could it be that you Over-tightened them with an Impact gun?
Yeah, it very well could be. Add that to the third possible culprit. So one or more of these:
1) poor quality parts (not sure where I got them), 2) Poorly installed (pulled them through rather than press them in), and now maybe 3) incorrectly installed and over torqued.
Quote:
You are way to modest
That last view has to be Camarillo, citrus trees in the back ground?
I wish it was modesty but it's a critical look at myself. It is what it is. I would rather acknowledge my shortcomings than pretend to be a master mechanic. You can't fix what you don't know is broken.
It is Camarillo: Home sweet Home for 10 more months!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cu4whln
Yikes, Yikes, YIKES !
Concur!
Got my rig mostly squared away. Here is more carnage. This is how my drum ended up. All broken lugs accounted for. It's really odd to me how these two are torn. I figured they would all be sheared off in the same direction but these look more like the axle twisted out of it's lug studs. Weird.

I'm not sure what these are called but they are the little hats that hold the springs that hold the shoe.

Mrs. Asphaltrockdweller hooked me up with a complete brake (including the cable).

I was going to just swap one for one but then I thought it would be easier to just swap the broken or missing parts because in order to remove the parking brake cable, you have to drop the gas tank skid plate. I spent about an hour getting it all put back together. Along with new Dorman 610186 lug studs (pressed in this time).

Threw on my new Centric drum (freshly painted with BBQ paint) AND....

YES! The backing plate is bent! yay! "Easier" in rang-a-stang terms means doing it at least twice, spending at least twice as much $$, and ending up less reliable.
Tore it all apart again, wire brushed the other backing plate from Ashpaltrockdweller, and threw it all back together again.

I decided to keep my wheel spacer for now (more on that in a later post). I also bought new Dorman acorn nuts 611014. I cracked out my torque wrench and torqued them to 75 foot pounds, then put my wheel/Tire back on, again torqued to 75 foot pounds.

Tonight I plan to replace the passenger lug studs with new Dorman studs, put my new drum on that side, and retorque everything to 75 foot pounds. I also bought a set of sweet Hella driving lights on craigslist to replace the ones on my front bumper and hope to install those tonight.
Old 08-13-2021, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Got the passeger rear brake done. No drama, no pics (looks exactly like the other side) now everything is torqued correctly and new Dorman lug studs.

When I installed my grill (after painting it), I was missing the two outer upper brackets. I bought a set from 80limited and got those installed.

It aligned the grill PERFECT! Look at this gap!

A little while ago, I asked if there was some sort of rubber trim that goes here. There was. SOLSAKs hooked me up with some rubber U-channel that fit perfectly. I trimmed it up and installed it on both sides, also.

Moved on to my new lights. They went in the place of the old no-name, crappy ones I had. I don't "need" these but they fill 2 holes on my bumper, were only $20 on craigslist, and they look pretty badass IMHO.

Why are the covers on? Because I dropped one and broke the lens when I was making the pig tails for them. $32 for a new lens. I guess I paid $52 for them.

In other news:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78 WIDETRAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by rang-a-stang
...I wonder where I could get a set. hmmm....
I got these jewels from 78 WIDETRAC. They are AMAZINGGGG and the wheels that my center caps came off of.

So. I have a choice to make and this is why I still have my spacers on. I have been watching craigslist and FB Marketplace for 285/75/16s for about a year with no luck. Now I am watching for 33x12.50R15s. Whichever set I get first, goes on my truck. If I get 33's, I will probably have these rims vinyl wrapped in gloss black. The finish on them is almost perfect and I don't want to paint or mess with it but I really like the gloss black/flat center cap look with my yellow/black truck.

Last edited by rang-a-stang : 08-25-2021 at 11:09 AM.
Old 08-13-2021, 01:25 PM
232 I6

You'll be rollin' down the road, seeing down the road better and looking badass while doing it.
Those are a very nice set of wheels (envious), I did not know that they could vinyl wrap wheels too.

77 SJ 401
72 Commando 304
07 Toyota Sienna
76 HD FLH
Old 08-14-2021, 02:05 PM
258 I6

A little while ago, I asked if there was some sort of rubber trim that goes here. There was. SOLSAKs hooked me up with some rubber U-channel that fit perfectly.

I need that too! You bought it from him or from where?

Old 08-15-2021, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Quote:
You'll be rollin' down the road, seeing down the road better and looking badass while doing it.
Those are a very nice set of wheels (envious), I did not know that they could vinyl wrap wheels too.
Yep! I have a buddy with an R8 that had his wheels wrapped. Not sure how much it costs though. If it is relatively cheap, I'll do it.
Quote:
I need that too! You bought it from him or from where?
I have some left over. PM Sent.
Here's where I asked.
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=189425
Old 08-16-2021, 10:19 AM
Señor Jackhead

I have had the left rear tire on my GW pass me on two occasions. The first time to whole shaft came out so it was kind of a tripod flipping down the road.
Unhappy times those were. Dang, those chrome wagon wheels look dandy! I like the hella out of those lights. Good to see you have the Cherk back on 4 feet!

88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com