• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JMRedwine
    232 I6
    • Oct 29, 2010

Newbie!

Good afternoon Gentlemen.

I am a total newbie to the FSJ world, bought my first one this weekend.
    1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, rebuilt AMC 360, only aftermarket is a 3.5" suspension lift and some 31" Yokohama off road tires. This thing is glorious! I was a TJ guy for a long time and loved everything about it. Had to leave the Jeep world for a while, and now I finally get to come back. I feel like I came home. I decided to go a little classier this go around, and get the Woody. So far I love it!

So a few newbie questions:

Oil-I can't seem to find it but what kind of oil does this thing take and how much? I'm guessing it holds 5q? How about transmission fluid? how much/what kind?

Next: Here's the biggie; the 4wd is currently inop. I have been told it's the 4wd solenoid and vacuum actuator. Can anyone tell me what steps I need to take to test these out, and maybe link me to some diagrams so i know what the heck I'm looking at? I'm not even sure where that solenoid is?

Thanks guys, I look forward to getting in over my head in the world of Jeep again! Sorry for my 0 knowledge base, I'm sure I'll be cruising these forums a lot trying to learn what I can! Teach me your ways FSJ dudes.

John Mark
    1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer. Bone stock.

1999 Toyota LandCruiser. Lifted 2" BFG A/T KO
  • argyll1984
    232 I6
    • Oct 22, 2010

Welcome! I'm pretty new to FSJ's myself, I got my 79 J-10 a couple of weeks ago. I'm also a former Wrangler owner. I used to have a YJ and I just sold my CJ-7. There are a lot of very knowledgable, friendly people on here so you should be able to get most of your questions answered. First things first, what kind of tranny and t-case do you have?
    Last edited by argyll1984; 11-01-2010, 12:54 PM.
    1979 J-10: 360 V8/T-18A/D20/D44/D44
    2000 XJ: 4.0 I6/AW4/NP231/D30/D35C

http://s1107.photobucket.com/albums/...t=fa1d077e.jpg

Comment

• RAMBLINFSJ
      350 Buick
      • Oct 31, 2006

Welcome Redwine! The t-case is vacuum operated when switching from 2wd to 4wd. Then there's a shifter in the floor for High, Neutral, and Low but I'm sure you have figured that out already. There is a vacuum motor mounted on the driver side of the t-case. If you can crawl under the Jeep and watch the rod on the vacuum motor while someone else moves the switch on the dash back and forth to see if the motor is working. It doesn't move much. If it doesn't move then it's time to chase some vacuum lines. Of course, check the hoses to the motor while you are under the Jeep. Also check the vacuum ball on the firewall. Sometimes the hose will come loose there and you will lose your 4wd. I bought a super nice Wagon for cheap from a guy who thought he was having some major drivetrain problems and it turned out that the vacuum hose from the intake to the vacuum ball had fallen off.
      The dipstick is on the driver side of the engine near the brake master cylinder. Oil goes in the big tube at the front of the intake. A good quality 10w30 is all need.
      1984 Wagoneer
      1977 Cherokee Chief (401)
      1982 J-20
      1965 AMC Rambler American 220

Comment

• RAMBLINFSJ
        350 Buick
        • Oct 31, 2006

Originally posted by argyll1984
        First things first, what kind of tranny and t-case do you have?
        An '86 Model is the only year Jeep put the 228 t-case in the Wagoneers then switched back to the 229 with the viscous coupler in '87. It will also have the TorqueFlite 727 Automatic transmission.
        1984 Wagoneer
        1982 J-20

Comment

• will e
          Always Broke
          • Nov 16, 2001

Welcome to the Forum. Yeah, the good news is it is probably a vacuum line that is leaking. Becareful being under the rig while it is running. if you don't see the lever moving, you can unplug the vacuum line from it and check to see if there is vacuum.

Not sure exactly how the rest of the vacuum is used on your rig but I suppose it is possible that a different vaccum line is disconnected (like maybe the one that moves the vents from heat to defrost, causing the TC line to not get any vacuum.
          82 Cherokee WT ? SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Comment

• will e
            Always Broke
            • Nov 16, 2001

To avoid going under the car while it is running (always makes me nervous) you can get a little hand held pump at your local autoparts store for like, 20 bucks. Usually they have a gauge on them too so you can see if the vacuum is holding... Then you can trouble shoot where the leak is.
            82 Cherokee WT ? SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Comment

All hail the noob!
              The '86 could have an NP228 or NP229 if its a late '86. When you flip the switch you should hear a Psst. If you have a leak in your heat vent system it will leak the 4WD.
              some of the guys use a stiffer oil than 10w30 if the oil pressure is low (usually in warmer climes)
              I am not sure how much. My 87 took 6 quarts. Both my former TJ's took 6 qts. I thought all V8 Jeeps were 6 qts, but if I put 6 in my 401 it reads about a qt high.
              Mark B. Jones

Originally posted by GrandWag&Prix
              Actually, now that I think about it, that could be either awesome or really terrible.

'79 Cherokee Chief "Junaluska"

Comment

• billyj7175
                304 AMC
                • Sep 10, 2001

Welcome from Southern Illinois...and congrats on the new Jeep!
                83 J-10 Jeep "Oscar"
                360/727/229
                4" Rusty's w/33X12.50 BFG AT's

I'll apologize ahead of time...my inner voice has Tourette's...

Comment

• JMRedwine
                  232 I6
                  • Oct 29, 2010

Thanks for all the help guys! Ok oil and transmission fluid got an overdue changing. Good to go there. Thanks!

Now pardon my ignorance...but what does this vacuum actuator look like? I stared at my T-case for about 30 minutes debating what it might be earlier! haha.

Comment

• Smiff
                    232 I6
                    • Apr 17, 2010

Welcome, and here is your noob initiation. Consider it like a swirlie...

Brian
                    86 GW, stock 360/trans "Frank"
                    Edelbrock carb on Offy intake
                    Some kind of spring lift (BJs 6 maybe)
                    Desert faded paint/body work courtesy AZ trails

USAF: Dropping Bombs and Hauling Grunts Since 1947

Comment

• JMRedwine
                      232 I6
                      • Oct 29, 2010

Well here's a pic of the Jeep from earlier today! I'd take pictures of what I suspect to be the vacuum actuator and what not...but it's currently dead in a Wal-mart parking lot! See my SOS post for details...

Comment

• BoringBen
                        232 I6
                        • Oct 07, 2009

Welcome to the forum of all forums, and to the gracious living that is FSJ life. Looks like she's giving you a big hug already...

I'm a "progressing" noob myself and have found this place invaluable. The guys here are great, have answered many a dumb question from me, and the information available on these pages has done me worlds of good.

A good resource for tech stuff is oljeep.com. Take a good look around. You can find parts and pieces all over the country for our rigs, bjsoffroad.com is popular here, teamgrandwagoneer.com has lots of stuff (tends to be a little pricey), I've been able to find LOTS of stuff on rockauto.

There's a poll out here now asking what everyone uses for motor oil, 10w40 has a slight lead over 10w30. But like someone else said, climate might play into that decision.

Good luck, and hide your wallet!

Comment

• meo954
                          232 I6
                          • Oct 12, 2010

Welcome, I too am new to the FSJ habit. This is a great website and forum, members are extremely helpful. I spent several hours reading past posts and virtually every item in the Tech Library. It has helped me diagnose and repair many items I knew were wrong with my GW and the ones I am just finding out about.

Another great resource is the Haynes Repair Manual for the Jeep Wagoneer & Pick-up 1972-1991. BJ's also has tech support by phone and email.

I have had my truck for 1 1/2months. Drove it for a week before my son decided that he would do a complete rebuild on the engine. Hope to have it back in by next weekend.
                          Woodley - 88 GW
                          BJ's 2" Lift
                          360 w/Edlebrock 4BBL, Man,
                          Cam, Headers, HEI

Comment

• RAMBLINFSJ
                            350 Buick
                            • Oct 31, 2006

Here's what the actuator looks like off the truck.
                            We are the Largest Full Size Jeep Parts Seller in the World, Specialize in Grand Wagoneer & Full Size Cherokee! We ship Worldwide!
                            1984 Wagoneer
                            1982 J-20

Comment

• 24tesla
                              327 Rambler
                              • Jan 24, 2005

Is that locking hubs I see on the front wheels? I may be wrong, my eyes are not the best, but it either looks liek a bow tie, or a locking hub almost to me.... Help me out guys.... If it is, then not stock for an 86. so no telling what has been put in there. Some very knowlegable folks around the NC area, that may be able to meet up and help ID if you are runnign the stock t-case, or if another has been swapped. I wil be replacing mine with the 208 and Manual hubs here in the near future.
                              Kevin

86 GW, 360/727, Edelbrock 1406 w/ performer alum. intake. AGR Super PS Pump, HEI ignition upgrade. Other than that, stock for NOW!

http://gfsj.org
                              My Web Page

Comment

Working...
                              X