• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coley
    327 Rambler
    • Apr 13, 2000

Kick Panel Water Leak

I've got a pretty bad leak at the bottom of the driver's side kick panel. Water seems to "appear" there as if by magic.

1. No water coming in at the seams on the airbox

2. No water coming in at the fresh air vent (that I can see).

I was looking for pics of that area, and I came across this one on Miked's site (69 Wag), and noticed a hole that the kick panel covers.

Scroll down to the fifth pic. http://www.tworock.com/mjd/jeep.html

I've read the tech help, and the only things I can guess is that it's a leak in the air vent behind the kick panel, or it's a leak at that "hole" shown in the picture (if it's in an 84 Wag).

I'm stumped. Help, before I show my ignorance any further!

Thanks, all
    Daddy\'s Ice Cream Truck (4 yr old daugter named it)<br />84 GW<br />360 727 NP229<p>\"..Dooley had two daughters and a 40 gallon still..\"

Well, that cowl channel that the air-vent opens to is the place that water is SUPPOSED to run when it goes into the grille in front of the windshield. So, when it rains, water runs in that panel by design (and stays there, if the drain is clogged).

Here's something to watch out for; the lower surface of that cowl air-box is not well assembled on most fsj's, and the workers were pretty sloppy with the body-sealer. This plus debris builds up little dams in there, which develop rust-holes up under the dash. When the water trickles in through those holes, it runs down in the corner where the side-panel and the toe-board meet, and is almost invisible even when you're looking right at it. Either that, or it's running down behind the firewall insulation.

------------------
    Bob Barry<UL TYPE=SQUARE>* '78 Cherokee 4-door
    * '88 Grand Wagoneer[/list]http://studentweb.providence.edu/~rbarry/wheels/

Comment

• Veepster
      350 Buick
      • May 14, 2000

I had the same for quite a while and finally figured it out......mine was coming from the windshield!....betwen the glass and the rubber piece, and then it snuck its way all the way to the kickpanel...I picked up some windshield sealing silicone(basically really runny silicone) and sealed the area and my problem has vanished...

------------------
      Peace.............BartG

the Green Flash!
      360ci
      Custom 4v TBI
      Edelbrock Performer Manifold
      TH400, QT with low
      4" skyjacker suspension lift, 3" body lift Rancho 9000's
      33x12.50 BFG KO's 8" American Racing Baja Rims
      Thorley headers, 3" exhaust, Dyno Max
      Infiniti power leather seats
      Custom billet shift knob by Millerluck
      50%Luxury Car, 50%Tractor
      Peace.............BartG<br /><br />The Green Flash!<br /><br />360ci Custom 4v TBI<br />TH400, Parttime QT with low, TFI Upgrade<br />Edelbrock Performer Manifold,<br />4\" skyjacker susp & 3\" body lift<br />Rancho 9000\'s 33x12.50 BFG KO\'s <br />8\" American Racing Baja Rims<br />Thorley headers, 3\" exh, Dyno Max<br />Infiniti power leather seats<br />Billet shift knob by Millerluck<br />50%Luxury Car 50%Tractor<br /><a href=\"http://www.teamgodspeed.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.teamgodspeed.com</a>

Comment

• Iron Horse
        350 Buick
        • Jan 20, 2001

My 88 GW has the exact same leak, so you're not alone. I've been waiting for some decent warm weather here in N.W. Michigan to try and track it down. Do I need to remove that cowl grill in order to check/seal inside the cowl? My carpet and kick panel gets soaked anytime it rains or I wash (wash?) the wag.

------------------
        Andy

Iron Horse: 1988 GW 360/TF727/NP229/D44's F/R, 31x10.5 BFG AT's stuffed in stock wheel wells, and no WOOD.
        soon to have:
        BDS 4" lift, 3" body lift, 33"-35" BFG MT's, complete repaint and body work

[This message has been edited by Iron Horse (edited June 07, 2001).]
        Andy<br /><br />Iron Horse: 1987 GW 360/TF727/NP229/D44\'s F/R,TFI upgrade, 35x12.5 MTR\'s, Rhino grill, no wood, & Rusty\'s 6\" lift.<br />~Soon to have:<br />More goodies than I have money for.

Comment

• gbarrett
          258 I6
          • Jun 23, 2000

I've been fixing a few leaks myself. It's been raining cats & dogs here in SW Florida. I traced one leak to the weatherstrip around the door. The water found a path there the ends of the strip meet then running to the lowest point in the floor - the front floorpan. Also, I had water coming in around the radio antenna lead. The antenna had been replaced and the cable was smaller than the original. The water ran along it like a gutter. I used some RTV and it sealed it right up.

Good luck,

Greg
          84 GW<br />Driveline is Ford 351/C6 combo.<br />New paint, carpet, stereo. Rhino grille, etc.<br /><br /><a href=\"http://home.earthlink.net/~getoverit/index.html\" target=\"_blank\">My Site</a>

Comment

• Coley
            327 Rambler
            • Apr 13, 2000

Thanks, everyone for the helpful info.

Time to get to work.

------------------
            Daddy's Ice Cream Truck (3 yr old daugter named it)
            360 727 NP229
            Totally stock
            "You're obsessed with that thing!"
            Daddy\'s Ice Cream Truck (4 yr old daugter named it)<br />84 GW<br />360 727 NP229<p>\"..Dooley had two daughters and a 40 gallon still..\"

Comment

• Coley
              327 Rambler
              • Apr 13, 2000

UPDATE

I took the cowl grill off today and checked all I could see, which ain't much. Didn't see any rust leaves, holes, or places that needed to be caulked.

I snaked a hose all the way down the "air channel?) on the drivers' side (the leaky side) and opened the hose 1/3 a turn. Drained fine, no water in the cab.

I pulled the hose up and set in the middle of the airbox.
              Drained fine, no water in the cab.

I set the hose to douse the driver's side portion of the windshield, no leak.

I did get it to leak a little when I put the hose in the airbox and pointed it towards the driver.

Never at any point did I see any water coming in under the dash. It only "appears" at the bottom of the kick plate.

The UPS man came by at this point and chatted with me. He has an 84 and 88 wag. 88 has the same leak.

I then put the hose on the other side of the kick panel, and let water flow on the rocker panel.
              No leak.

I moved the hose up until I was at the top corner and pressed the hose up against the "air channel", and got some water flow under the kick panel. Still not sure if that's the culprit though, or if it is, how to seal it.

Was gonna take the kick panel off. Too much for afternoon job, looks to be a massive PITA. Will have to wait or find another way to identify the source of the leak.

I loathe water leaks.

------------------
              360 727 NP229
              Totally stock

Comment

• Mike H
                230 Tornado
                • Jun 26, 2000

Don't know if this will help anyone but here's what I found out.
                When my '86 leaks, it pours right out of the kick panel air-vent opening. Doesn't matter if the vent is open or not.
                I can see leaves and crud thru the vent cover.
                If I put the hose in the cowl and let the water run, it takes about 10 seconds for water to start coming thru the vent.

In my case,it looks like it's time to pull the emergency brake assembly and get dirty.
                Probably should pull the a/c on the other side, as I'm sure it's just a matter of time before that side starts.

I'll let you know how this turns out.

Comment

• Coley
                  327 Rambler
                  • Apr 13, 2000

MikeH,
                  My fresh air vent is free of debris as far as I can tell. Shouldn't you be able to snake a shop-vac hose down the fresh air cowl there and suck out the trash?

Maybe mine's a leak around the air vent seal. I would kill for a cross section of that whole area to see how it's actually put together.

------------------
                  360 727 NP229
                  Totally stock

Comment

• Mike H
                    230 Tornado
                    • Jun 26, 2000

Coley,
                    I haven't tried that yet, but I'm guessing that all the debris turns to brick once it dries out.
                    Or, maybe this is a good excuse to get a better shop vac.

Comment

• gbarrett
                      258 I6
                      • Jun 23, 2000

This will sound a bit funny but it's how I found mine. Park your Jeep on an incline with the front lower than the back. Run water down the gutter on the side that's leaking. Look inside the truck. I found a puddle when I did that. The water begins its journey through the separation between the roof gutter and the windshield gutter. It then finds a very, very, VERY small opening in the door weatherstripping. Mine is a two-fold problem, but it is repairable.

Hope it helps.

Greg

------------------
                      84 GW
                      Driveline is
                      Stock 360/727 combo.
                      New paint, carpet, stereo. Rhino grille, etc.
                      84 GW<br />Driveline is Ford 351/C6 combo.<br />New paint, carpet, stereo. Rhino grille, etc.<br /><br /><a href=\"http://home.earthlink.net/~getoverit/index.html\" target=\"_blank\">My Site</a>

Comment

• Coley
                        327 Rambler
                        • Apr 13, 2000

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gbarrett:
                        This will sound a bit funny but it's how I found mine. Park your Jeep on an incline with the front lower than the back. Run water down the gutter on the side that's leaking. Look inside the truck. I found a puddle when I did that. The water begins its journey through the separation between the roof gutter and the windshield gutter. It then finds a very, very, VERY small opening in the door weatherstripping. Mine is a two-fold problem, but it is repairable.

Hope it helps.

Greg

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe one problem I have is my driver door is ab. 1/3" too low, rendering the door weatherstripping that seals the fender area somewhat ineffective. I did seal a leak between the rain gutter and windshield channel awhile back. The water would pour right down on the moveable vent window.
                        Now it runs all the way down to the bottom of the windshield and into the fender area.

That may be the culprit, as I can't tell where the water is running after that point

------------------
                        360 727 NP229
                        Totally stock

Comment

• ironroad29
                          360 AMC
                          • Nov 12, 2000

i found that my roof rack was loose and leaking and running down the little channel inside that the headliner rest on and running down the a pillar to the kick panel.

------------------
                          "If a jeep can't take you there, maybe you should think twice about going"
                          Looking for a j truck in VA.
                          1977 impala coupe lt1 swap in progress
                          2004 crown vic LX sport
                          1997 2 door Tahoe sport
                          preparing for a bleak future...

Comment

• Coley
                            327 Rambler
                            • Apr 13, 2000

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ironroad29:
                            i found that my roof rack was loose and leaking and running down the little channel inside that the headliner rest on and running down the a pillar to the kick panel.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ironroad,
                            Was the water visible if you were looking at the kick panel, i.e. did it flow down the outside of the panel, or did it flow "inside the fender somewhere" and exit at the bottom of the kick panel?

------------------
                            360 727 NP229
                            Totally stock

Comment

• Dude
                              232 I6
                              • Apr 24, 2001

I too have the "invisible" leak around both kick panels. Have already removed the birds nest of pine needles and leaves in the vent and recommend all to do the same as this greatly reduced how much water I shipped in a storm. Have sealed the windshield and now my passengers' feet no longer get a free wash. I am now look at metal joints and how well they are sealed and at replacing the weatherstrip on all four doors. To this end, can anyone recommend a place to get the door weatherstrip from?

------------------
                              Dude
                              88SuperGW
                              Hedman Headers
                              Howell TBI
                              Edelbrock Performer Intake & Cam
                              Massaged Heads
                              Jacobs Ign w/ TFI
                              Flowmaster 80's
                              727 Shift Kit
                              2.5" Rancho lift
                              31.5's