• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave Jeeper
    232 I6
    • Sep 08, 2019

Howell AMC360 TBI- Need Live Scan Software

I installed a Howell 50 state TBI system in my 1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer with high altitude emissions (5300 feet above sea level). The system is not running great and I have replaced all vacuum lines, tried capping off all accessories to locate vacuum leaks, new vacuum charcoal canister, new EGR, new HEI distributor/ignition, new plugs/wires.

The last items installed were charcoal canister 3 weeks ago and high altitude Egr with 64 washer one week ago. I think that shortly after installing the canister, but not sure of exactly when this started: I started getting a code 44 (lean mixture) but was blowing carbon out the tailpipe and the O2 sensor was fouled with carbon.

I spoke to Troy at Howell and he told me to check fuel pressure and that I would need a scanner to collect live data.

I would like some advice on scanning software. I am about to replace my cell phone (android) so I would rather get a windows based program for my laptop (I have Windows 10 and Windows 7 laptops) and an ALDL to USB cable to scan sensor data to try to figure out what is wrong with my Howell system. Hoping to spend as little as possible as I will use this once or twice to get the vehicle working and won't use it again. I am not planning on reprogramming the chips, just trying to diagnose.

I am sure that there is lots of advice on how to troubleshoot or fix my system, but mostly trying to figure out how to read and record the sensor data right now. I have used a cable and Forscan software on my Windows 10 laptop for my 2012 Ford Expedition and it works great for that vehicle.

Thanks in advance.
  • babywag
    out of order
    • Jun 08, 2005

tunerpro for windows
    can also use winaldl or tunercat with windows
    aldldroid for android devices

if ecm sees lean it'll dump a bunch of fuel to richen mixture.

if you unplug the o2 sensor how does it run?
    if the fuel pressure and fuel mapping are in the ballpark it should run ok w/o o2 sensor feedback.
    any exhaust leak will also create a false lean reading and the ecm won't be able to accurately control it.
    any vacuum leaks will obviously lean it out as well.

I would also disconnect the canister and egr to eliminate them as a source.
    just because they are new does NOT mean they are functioning properly.
    Tony
    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Dave Jeeper
      232 I6
      • Sep 08, 2019

Great info, thanks. I just pulled the O2 sensor and I measured resistance, I think that it is bad. I am going to buy another now. Will update as I get more info on how it runs.

Comment

• babywag
        out of order
        • Jun 08, 2005

nope...not the way to test one.
        they produce voltage when HOT based on oxygen detection.
        measuring resistance tells you nothing on it's operation.

Just blindly throwing parts at it won't fix it. Need data to determine if things are operating properly.
        With the poor quality of aftermarket parts these days replacing things can also land you in a situation where you introduce a bad brand new part that you may be assuming is working correctly when it is in fact bad.
        Tony

Comment

• Dave Jeeper
          232 I6
          • Sep 08, 2019

I installed a new O2 sensor and it is now running better and not throwing codes. Disconnecting the 10 day old EGR has no effect on performance.

I found the Red Devil River ALDL USB 12 pin cable online. Is this the best cable to connect to my Howell ECU? I want to monitor the values from each of the sensors with my laptop or pad.

Comment

• babywag
            out of order
            • Jun 08, 2005

Any ALDL cable will work.
            You can also roll your own for ~$5.
            Tony

Comment

Working...
            X