• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WINGO
    327 Rambler
    • May 06, 2000

3" REAR LIFT BLOCKS - ROUGH COUNTRY

I am considering installing the Rough Country 3" lift from J.C. Whitney. It's $ 186.99 out the door plus shipping. This price includes new front springs and a rear block.

My springs are in good shape and have new set of Rancho 5000 in the front and Gabriel Air Shocks in the rear.

What are the negative aspects in using a 3" block in the rear?

The price seems right foe the lift?

------------------
    WINGO
    Vineland, NJ
    USA
    1984 GW 360
    <b>WINGO</b><br />Vineland, NJ<br />USA<br /> 1984 GW 360 <br />Front Axle: \'79 W/T, SOA<br />Rear Axle: \'80 W/T, Riverbeast Kit<br />Body: 3 \" Body Lift<br />Transfer case: \'82 CJ, Twin Stick Dana 300<br />Wheels: Stock Rims w/ 31\" X 10.5\" Kelly MT<p>A good reason to buy Todd\'s kit!<br />http://imaget.webphotos.iwon.com/100...PM0.601864.jpg
  • Treadted2
    258 I6
    • Sep 25, 2000

Hey, I just got the RC 3" lift with all four springs. I am very pleased with it so far. I would say that the disadvantage to not getting the rear spring also is articulation limitations, and your ride may be mis balanced. When you go over bumps and such on the road your rear is going to flex more than the front will. Your rear aprings may be in good shape, but they will be MUCH more flexy than the new front ones. I would consider the full system, which I am sure you have.

Ted
    84\' Grand Wagoneer \"Dove\"<BR>-AMC 360<BR>-Stock axles(AMC20(R) & Dana44(F)), tranny(?) & transfer case(NP229)<BR>-MSD TFI upgrade and ignition control<BR>-Throttle Body fuel injection conversion<BR>-K&N Air filter<BR>-Rough Country 3\" lift<BR>-Heckelthorne Hydro shocks<BR>-Yokohama Prodigy AT 31X10.5 tires<BR>-American Racing 15X8 Chrome Nugget wheels<BR>-blue fuzzy dice!!

Comment

• WINGO
      327 Rambler
      • May 06, 2000

TreadTed2:

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for your setup?

------------------
      WINGO
      Vineland, NJ
      USA
      1984 GW 360
      <b>WINGO</b><br />Vineland, NJ<br />USA<br /> 1984 GW 360 <br />Front Axle: \'79 W/T, SOA<br />Rear Axle: \'80 W/T, Riverbeast Kit<br />Body: 3 \" Body Lift<br />Transfer case: \'82 CJ, Twin Stick Dana 300<br />Wheels: Stock Rims w/ 31\" X 10.5\" Kelly MT<p>A good reason to buy Todd\'s kit!<br />http://imaget.webphotos.iwon.com/100...PM0.601864.jpg

Comment

• Treadted2
        258 I6
        • Sep 25, 2000

Well, with shipping I think it totalled around $618. I got it for $520 at rockymountainsusp.com

shipping was about $90 because the springs are VERY heavy

Hope this helps.

If you wanna see what it looks like on a WG go here http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...nce=0&res=high

and here

This is Manhatten's rig.

hope this helps

Ted

------------------
        84' Grand Wagoneer
        -AMC 360
        -Stock axles, tranny & transfer case
        -MSD TFI upgrade
        -K&N Air filter
        -Rough Country 3" lift
        -Heckelthorne Hydro shocks
        -Yokohama Prodigy AT 31X10.5 tires
        -American Racing 15X8 Chrome Nugget wheels
        -blue fuzzy dice!!
        84\' Grand Wagoneer \"Dove\"<BR>-AMC 360<BR>-Stock axles(AMC20(R) & Dana44(F)), tranny(?) & transfer case(NP229)<BR>-MSD TFI upgrade and ignition control<BR>-Throttle Body fuel injection conversion<BR>-K&N Air filter<BR>-Rough Country 3\" lift<BR>-Heckelthorne Hydro shocks<BR>-Yokohama Prodigy AT 31X10.5 tires<BR>-American Racing 15X8 Chrome Nugget wheels<BR>-blue fuzzy dice!!

Comment

• christopher
          232 I6
          • Jul 20, 2000

I installed the 3 inch with blocks your talking about. I must say that I would go with the 4 spring deal if I did it over again. my problem came with my rear end sat lower than the front whan finished. see the blocks that come with the kit are only 2 inches. and unless you have new springs in the back already they are sagging. so I then had to get the add a leafs from jc whitney. now it sits great and rides great but the rear track bar mounts are so off because of the angle the blocks are. then again after looking at how much of a pain in the ass getting the left rear spring off would be its a trade off. if you go with the blocks in the rear get the add a leafs right away. this is by far the cheapest way to go and I haven't had any problems off road, I don't rock crawl though.

Comment

• Adamstrator

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WINGO:

What are the negative aspects in using a 3" block in the rear?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ill tell you one thing wrong, that the blocks are 2", they where when I got my RC kit anyways. I orderd the block version first but with the 2" block and saggy springs... well, the nose stuck up in the air. I have since bought the rear springs and am pleased with them, I would say it is worth the money to get the rear springs.

------------------
            Adam Zeimet
            IFSJA Webmaster
            83 Wagoneer LTD.

Comment

• scotty
              • Jun 12, 2000

the biggest trouble with a rear block is axlewrap.the advantage is being able to use a flat,soft factory spring,since it will generally give you more travel than a stiffer,arched lift spring.im still using all 4 of my stock springs,and i got even more travle out of them by installing longer shocks and removing all the clamps.i dont use the sway bar or trac bars(removal of these was one of the first "trail mods"). i have got tons of wheel travel and articulation,but a very soft spongy rife on the street,even with 4 brand new shocks,tho in all fairness,they are the 'Zones brand of shocks,which i guess may have so ething to do with it.anyway.it depends on how you use it.if its mainly for off road,you may be happy with a block.if you drive it daily the guys are right-youll prolly get a better ride from the 4 spring deal.how much are the rear spings seperately? you could always try it first with the blocks,swap in the rear later if youre not happy with the ride. mine rides great on the trails,but i dont have much top speed and i gotta slow waaaaay down for corners!

scotty
              85 grand wagoneer
              258/t18/d20/10 bolt/14 bolt
              38" TSL SXs
              chopped,bobbed and caged

http://nightcrawlers4wd.20megsfree.com/index.html\

http://mytrailrigs4x4.20megsfree.com/photo.html\

Comment

• Manhattan
                304 AMC
                • Jul 30, 2000

The block lift is for new springs - twisted irony huh... you were avoiding buying new rear springs.

I lifted my GW 5.5 inches with 3" springs... it had sagged 2.5 inches.

Had I done the rear blocks it would've looked like a mid '90s ForeRunner - the motor boat!
                Mark

Comment

• lanierboy
                  258 I6
                  • Apr 25, 2000

Manhatton,

What size of tires are those in the picture of your rig in the link in treadteds post? They sure do look shiny in the off road pose

------------------
                  1987 GW "Christine"
                  AMC360 / NP229 / TF727
                  Holley Projection 2bbl
                  TFI Ignition upgrade
                  1987 GW <b>\"Christine\"</b><br />AMC360 / NP229 / TF727<br />Holley Projection 2bbl<br />TFI Ignition upgrade<br />MSD Ignition<br />Skyjacker 4\" Spring lift<br />GoodYear Workhorse 31/10.5<br /><a href=\"http://members.home.net/lanierboy/\" target=\"_blank\">My Web</a>

Comment

• Manhattan
                    304 AMC
                    • Jul 30, 2000

They're 31 x 10.50s

Hey I like Armor All! I really do use it when the GW is in "street mode". That picture was taken just after scrubbing the blue $#!* of the white letters... They were begging for Armor All.

Is this better... http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...nce=0&res=high

[This message has been edited by Manhattan (edited October 30, 2000).]
                    Mark

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Manhattan:
                      They're 31 x 10.50s <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice Shot! Imagine how it would articulate with the swaybar disconnected.

Manhattan: all your links to Photopoint are to the images themselves; can you provide the link to the main page, so that we can browse all the images? Once you're looking at a JPG alone, Photopoint provides no way for you to navigate upward.

------------------
                      Bob Barry<UL TYPE=SQUARE>* '78 Cherokee 4-door
                      * '88 Grand Wagoneer[/list]http://studentweb.providence.edu/~rbarry/wheels/

Comment

• Manhattan
                        304 AMC
                        • Jul 30, 2000

Here you go...
                        Mark

Comment

Working...
                        X