• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mattparliament
    327 Rambler
    • May 13, 2004

For guys that can program AFR's

What AFR targets have worked best for you? I continue to try and dial in my EZ-EFI for the proper balance between power and drivability. I can do setting for cruise, idle, and wide open. I currently run:

Idle: 13.5
    Cruise: 13.8
    WOT: 12.5 (never gets used)

These setting work pretty well for me and my 401. I tried Cruise at 14.0 and she ran but lost some power noticeable when going uphill.

What works well for everybody? I hope this can be useful in the future for others to reference.
    Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
    1976 Cherokee 401 Quadratrac
    4" Rusty's Spring lift 31" tires
    All MSD ignition system
    EZ EFI status: Running Smooth!
    1999 Dakota Seats
    2000Tahoe Console
    Powertrax No-slip lunchbox rear locker
    Amp meter delete
    Two Wire 94Amp Alternator upgrade
  • babywag
    out of order
    • Jun 08, 2005

Every engine runs a bit different so what works well for one won't always work well for a different setup.

You also need to know if your EFI is using a correction factor for fuel differences.
    E10 the ideal AFR is ~14.1 not 14.7

Also do you want a 'lil more power or fuel economy.

Really no benefit on a richer AFR @idle. Run it as lean there as you can.
    Tweaking idle AFR can net big gains in CITY MPG.
    By tweaking I was able to creep into double digits for CITY MPG which is like a ~30% gain vs. a richer idle.
    Idling is where a lot of fuel is used/wasted if using lower AFRs.

Timing plays a big factor in what you can get away with cruising.
    Huge drawback of non timing controlled systems.
    Timing control allows for leaner cruising AFR settings because obviously the computer can adjust both timing and fuel.

I dislike the systems that don't allow tuning of entire fuel and timing maps.
    All the "self tuning/learning" systems that only allow a few settings aren't ideal.
    I understand why the companies do it, but imho it's a poor method for "tuning".
    Tony
    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• bigwalton
      232 I6
      • May 25, 2006

Originally posted by mattparliament
      What AFR targets have worked best for you? I continue to try and dial in my EZ-EFI for the proper balance between power and drivability. I can do setting for cruise, idle, and wide open. I currently run:

Idle: 13.5
      Cruise: 13.8
      WOT: 12.5 (never gets used)

These setting work pretty well for me and my 401. I tried Cruise at 14.0 and she ran but lost some power noticeable when going uphill.

What works well for everybody? I hope this can be useful in the future for others to reference.
      Older thread bump, 401 guy with EZ-EFI as well. Also curious what enrichment settings you're running in addition to these targets.
      '77 Cherokee S 4-door - 401/EZ-EFI - patina driver
      '84 Alaskan Postal CJ-8 - RHD fun driver/trail rig
      '98 TJ - DD
      '05 Rubicon LJ - DD
      '18 Renegade - DD

Comment

Working...
      X