• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TexasJ10
    360 AMC
    • Jan 03, 2002

Originally posted by KaiserMan
    That definitely looks like the brackets for camper anti-sway shocks.

You can kind of see how they mount on this International.

There is something kinda cool about that camper. I don't think I have ever seen an Airsteam inspired bed camper before
    * 1981 stepside, 360, 727, 208, almost stock daily driver.
    * 1982 Laredo j-10, 360, 727, in rough shape and in the process of being rebuilt with 401, NV4500, Klune,
    . NP205,d60 front, d70 rear, fender work and minimal lift. It will probably take 10 years
    * 1973 jcab mounted on 1983 j20 frame. 360/t18/208 d44/d60. Almost completed

Comment

• KaiserMan
      I got the Willys....
      • Jun 21, 2005

Originally posted by TexasJ10
      There is something kinda cool about that camper. I don't think I have ever seen an Airsteam inspired bed camper before
      It's an Avion or a Cayo (made by the same guy if i remember right). Pretty nice campers, and they still pop up for sale fairly often.
      Thomas Russell
      1987 Cherokee Laredo 2-Door 4.0/AW4
      1971 Gladiator
      J2000 Platform-Stake Dump 350/T18

1970 Gladiator J3000 3407Z Camper Truck 350/T18
      1968 Wagoneer Custom 327/TH400

Comment

• FSJunkie
        The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
        • Jan 09, 2011

I cannot tell you if your lower body color is Copper-Tan or not, but I can tell you that the upper body color is Champagne White. All two-tones used Champagne White as the second color.

The special order tag is odd. My Wagoneer of the same year was ordered from the factory exactly the way my grandfather wanted it, and it does not have a tag like that. Then again, a customer ordering a car optioned the way they wanted may not have been officially called a "special order" deserving of that tag. Perhaps a "special order" meant something else.
        '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• Crankyolman
          350 Buick
          • Sep 27, 2017

Originally posted by FSJunkie
          I cannot tell you if your lower body color is Copper-Tan or not, but I can tell you that the upper body color is Champagne White. All two-tones used Champagne White as the second color.

The special order tag is odd. My Wagoneer of the same year was ordered from the factory exactly the way my grandfather wanted it, and it does not have a tag like that. Then again, a customer ordering a car optioned the way they wanted may not have been officially called a "special order" deserving of that tag. Perhaps a "special order" meant something else.
          According to this paint code chart ( http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcod...r=1972&rows=50 ) the 524 code is the copper tan, but just looking at it I knew it was. I wondered why they didn't bother putting a second paint code number. I guess there was no need if they only used one secondary color. I would like to know what the trim code number meant but haven't found anything on that yet.

I miss the days when you could order a car exactly the way you want it. I certainly can't do that today. When we were looking for a brand new vehicle a few years ago I insisted on one with a power drivers seat, tilt wheel and no sun/moon roof, because I don't want a giant freaking hole in the roof that lets the sun shine in my eyes when it's sunny and the rain in when it's not. The car companies acted like i was crazy, Like how dare I not want a giant hole in the roof! On top of that I was told to add a power seat to the base model, which was the only one even offered without the hole, would cost an extra $5,000. I hate car shopping and would much rather buy something old and redo it, that's why I have been working on convincing my wife that we need to get rid of the modern car and buy a '57-61 Studebaker Hawk and upgrade it with parts out of a donor Corvette. That way she gets all the luxuries she wants, like tilt wheel and heated power seats without getting a bunch of crap neither of us want.

Speaking of things I want, I have begun fitting the rhino grill. It's in place but I need to cut a hole to extend the hood latch to where it can be used. I made a template to mount the inner headlight buckets. I plan on fabricating a backing plate to mount the headlight buckets to out of some scrap stainless steel I happen to have. Finding info on the inside headlights is a bit elusive, mostly because of photobucket and other third party picture hosting sites. Most people who have done this seem to use pictures, that are no longer available, to explain what they did so basically the information is now gone.

Tomorrow I'm planning on another trip to the junkyard to get a few more minor bits and pieces and I should have the front all together soon.

I also started pulling all the chrome trim and such to get the body ready for paint.
          Last edited by Crankyolman; 01-22-2018, 06:57 PM.
          '72 J4500

Comment

• mud89
            304 AMC
            • Nov 18, 2009

Nice J4000, thanks for sharing the plates. The color "Copper Tan" is listed in the jeep books for '73 but not for '72, i guess that the copper tan color was introduced during the year '72.
            524 is actually a two-tone code number, so no need for a second paint code, the second color is always "champagne white"
            The code for the single tone "copper tan" is 517

I can decode the trim code, but i am not sure for the third digit : "389" ?
            Last edited by mud89; 01-27-2018, 03:56 AM.
            J10 sportside '81, J10 Golden Eagle '77, Wagoneer '65, Gladiator '64 + parts rigs

Comment

• Crankyolman
              350 Buick
              • Sep 27, 2017

Originally posted by mud89
              Nice J4000, thanks for sharing the plates. The color "Copper Tan" is listed in the jeep books for '73 but not for '72, i guess that the copper tan color was introduced during the year '72.
              524 is actually a two-tone code number, so no need for a second paint code, the second color is always "champagne white"
              The code for the single tone "copper tan" is 517

I can decode the trim code, but i am not sure for the third digit : "389" ?
              Yes the trim code is 389
              '72 J4500

Comment

• mud89
                304 AMC
                • Nov 18, 2009

ok according to the jeep data book, 389 means : bench seat custom cab, option : perforated pleated vinyl "uganda", buff color
                I have no clue for the special order number
                J10 sportside '81, J10 Golden Eagle '77, Wagoneer '65, Gladiator '64 + parts rigs

Comment

• Crankyolman
                  350 Buick
                  • Sep 27, 2017

ok according to the jeep data book, 389 means : bench seat custom cab, option : perforated pleated vinyl "uganda", buff color
                  I have no clue for the special order number
                  Thank you, that is what it had when I got it It's nice to be able to document that stuff. Finding out the copper tan isn't listed for '72 kind of compels me to return it to copper tan rather than the black cherry I plan on going with. Decisions...decisions I think I remember reading somewhere that something like only 9,000 Jeep pickups were produced in '72 which includes both the J2000 and J4000. Of those the numbers of 4500s with the two tone paint, 360 engine, auto trans, teak wood grain stripe and the other options this one has must have been extraordinarily small. It reminds me of a time I stopped at a 60's Ford car get together in Dearborn Mi, where some of the ugliest cars I've ever seen in my life were on display. Most of the owners of these old fords were very proud of the significantly small number of whatever model it was that were produced with exactly the color and options theirs had. Most of them were considerably greater production numbers than the number of all jeep pickups produced in '72, much less with the specific options on any given one of them.
                  '72 J4500

Comment

• mud89
                    304 AMC
                    • Nov 18, 2009

I don't have a breakdown by options for the '72 production figures, besides i don't think such a breakdown still exists. For the total i have the same figures : 8600-8700 , of which around 5600 were J4000s

Comment

• Crankyolman
                      350 Buick
                      • Sep 27, 2017

I don't have a breakdown by options for the '72 production figures, besides i don't think such a breakdown still exists. For the total i have the same figures : 8600-8700 , of which around 5600 were J4000s
                      It's kind of a shame but I suppose that's one of those things that helps make our vehicles unique. Thank you for the info.
                      '72 J4500

Comment

• Crankyolman
                        350 Buick
                        • Sep 27, 2017

Lately I have been working on converting my truck over to a rhino grill with quad headlights. It hasn't been easy because it is winter in Seattle, which means rain, rain, rain and more rain. Every once in a while it stops raining just long enough for me to try to actually do something on the truck.

On my last weekend it stopped raining long enough for me to run out to the you-pull-it yard to see if they had anything I thought might work. I had just made it to the back of the yard when it started pouring down rain and soaked me and my wife. Fortunately it didn't last that long and I managed to find at least some of what I was looking for. Mainly I was looking for this
                        That's a headlight bucket on a '66 Chrysler New Yorker

which has a removable backing plate.

At $2.50 each I should have bought all 4 but figured what I need are the 2 outboard ones which are the ones oriented the same as the factory cutouts on the truck. So then it was a simple matter of drilling 3 holes and making some standoffs to recess the backing plate and installing the bucket and it's done.

I don't have a picture of them yet but I got a good deal on some headlight bezels from a '68 Chrysler Newport which look like they will be exactly what I need to make the small headlights look factory.

There are a couple of things I've learned while doing this, mainly use the outboard headlights which are the low/high lights (H5006) because they are the ones that are oriented the way the cutouts are. I had already bought the high beam only (H5001) and could modify the buckets to take them but the H5006 bulbs aren't very expensive on Amazon. The whole purpose of this bulb stuff is just to maintain orientation of the light. It's probably not really a big deal but to me it is something that I think needs to be right to get the look I want.

My plan now is to use relays tied to the big headlights to activate the little headlights. I have been planning on wiring the little ones to only come on with the high beams but now I'm actually considering wiring it so the high and low work on the little headlight, just because.

Now one more thing I need to do is cut a slot for an older style hood latch, because when the rhino is installed it is very difficult to reach the factory hood latch.
                        '72 J4500

Comment

• Frank Ziebert
                          327 Rambler
                          • Dec 04, 2016

Nice find
                          1970 J2000(2500) Currently undergoing frame off resto
                          Stinger 2005 Jeep Unlimited, Sahara, Rubicon slightly modified

Comment

• Crankyolman
                            350 Buick
                            • Sep 27, 2017

It was a nice find and wasn't even what I went to the junk yard for. I had actually been working on some backing plates made out of scrap stainless steel I happened to have.

Here is actually what I had spent the previous week working on.
                            First a made a template out of thin aluminum

Then cut a board to match the template

Cut out some pieces of stainless, clamped it to the block and hammered it to more or less fit.

Next I fit the buckets on to the backing plate, drilled some holes and added nut-plates to run the adjuster screws through.

It actually worked out pretty good.

I also re-cut the orientation dimples so the headlights would be properly oriented. All that was left was making the standoffs and installing them.

Then I went to the junkyard and found the New Yorker and my plans instantly changed.

I got the headlights ordered today and as soon as they come in I can install them and be all set.
                            '72 J4500

Comment

• Crankyolman
                              350 Buick
                              • Sep 27, 2017

Today is the one year anniversary of me driving my truck to work for the first time after the engine rebuild. This is quite a milestone to me because it is my daily driver. When I got this truck exactly 2 years ago to the day I had planned on it being a good reliable truck but didn't intend for it to be a daily driver. However my wife and I quickly became accustomed to having two vehicles, a work truck and our other car that she can use to run errands as necessary. In the past two years I also developed an inner ear problem which can result in sudden onset of severe vertigo which on some occasions has resulted in my wife needing to come get me at work and leaving the truck there for as many as 4 days. This resulted in us depending on the trucks reliability even more.

I am happy to report that the truck has driven me to and from work, as well as trips apple picking, hardware store runs, dump runs, and hauling various things to and from various places over that year with no issues whatsoever. Even given that I have only put 2,702.1 miles on it over that year, I am very happy with my truck.
                              Last edited by Crankyolman; 02-04-2018, 05:17 PM.
                              '72 J4500

Comment

• Crankyolman
                                350 Buick
                                • Sep 27, 2017

Today I got my H5006 headlights so I can finish up the installation. I just need it to stop raining long enough for me to do it.

I thought I'd try to show the standoff so you can see how I mounted the backing plates
                                It's probably hard to see but they are simply long screws with a washer and lock nut to hold them against the header panel, then 2 nuts to act as jam nuts to allow for depth adjustment. Then a spacer piece that is really just a filler so I can loosen and tighten the jam nuts easily. Then the backing plate and after the backing plate one more lock nut and washer. This setup lets me adjust the standoff to give a little extra adjustment to the lights in the event I need it.
                                '72 J4500

Comment

Working...
                                X