• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SamGreazy
    232 I6
    • Jun 14, 2012

Gas Tank Cleaning???

So, my 90 GW was hard to start everytime, if it sat for longer than a day!! It has a brand new fuel pump but still it would not get fuel up through the lines unless I gave her some ether!! Also, the fuel tank guard was half rotten and the rear strap has rusted away....so I decided to pull the fuel tank replace all the fuel lines, go electric on the fuel pump and CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN, the whole gas tank area......also before I got the Jeep it had sat for about 5 years....so I want to clean the fuel tank out while I have it out and make sure there is no debris or anything in it.....Does anyone have any idea the best way to clean it or is there some types of shops that will do this????
    I would much rather drop it off at a shop, but I have no idea where to even look to find someone that would do this.
    1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer -
    4 in Rusty's
    31x10.5
    Katzkin seat covers, headliner, and carpet
    work in progress - wondering when it stops!
  • WHSII
    Hack-Priss
    • Feb 06, 2010

Hello Sam,

People have put chains in the tank when off, and shaken the tank with good results, I put kerosene in mine and shook it vigerously and it seemed to clean it, as far as looking inside with a flashlight.

The problem you described could be as simple as a rubber hose that has a pin hole in it, or a steel line that has rusted and is letting fuel bleed off while sitting.

I would get it running shut it down and inspect every, and I mean every fuel line in the system, if it is wet, even just a bit, replace it.

A leak will drain fuel back from the carb or fuel pump, and it will be like trying to start it after replacing the fuel pump, you have to use a prime.

Just my thoughts...
    WH

Dad's J10, Honcho, 1980 Sport Side
    Build http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=118144

https://picasaweb.google.com/113072766039246994279/JeepJ10Honcho

Herbina 1987 Grand Wagoneer

Founding Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• joe
      • Apr 28, 2000

A plastic tank won't have a rust scale from sitting problem but since you've got the tank out remove the sender and look inside. If it sat idle for 5 years with government gas (E10) look for a white sugary deposit on the bottom. If it's there it's in your carb too. Likely what's causing your float bowl to drain while sitting. Since you replaced all your steel fuel lines rust shouldn't be an issue either unless you pumped some rust into your carb prior to replacing the lines. I'd pop the top of the carb off and have a look inside for any crud. If you find any I'd then rebuild the entire carb.
      joe
      "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• Hadaz
        232 I6
        • Feb 25, 2013

Check your local radiator shops. Some will do the work and some will not. They can clean the tank.

Comment

• FSJ Guy
          • Mar 20, 2005

A stock 1990 tank will be PLASTIC. No chains needed.

Unless you can see/hear debris rolling around, I wouldn't worry about it.

If the carb bowl is draining, I'd try rebuilding it first. Since it sat for 5 years, I'm sure the gaskets could use replacing.
          Ethan Brady
          1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

• Adam_Tinkerer
            232 I6
            • Mar 16, 2011

I've done the chain & kerosene with excellent results! Of course it was a steel tank though. -Adam

Comment

• SamGreazy
              232 I6
              • Jun 14, 2012

new carb

I have already relaced the carb...its not getting fuel to the carb once it sits....I have cracked the lines and there is no fuel that makes it up there.
              1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer -
              4 in Rusty's
              31x10.5
              Katzkin seat covers, headliner, and carpet
              work in progress - wondering when it stops!

Comment

Fuel pump valves are gummed up with crud from the tank (add a filter before the pump) or the diaphragm of the pump is gone and the gas is getting into your oil. Fuel that has lots of alcohol in it can boil out after shutdown and force the needle and seat open, flooding the motor, but it evaporates pretty quickly too.
                Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

Working...
                X