• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • selkplitt
    232 I6
    • Sep 01, 2010

89 GW starting issue

I am perplexed at an ongoing issue. The issue is the signal to the starter solenoid
    I have 12.6 volts at battery. And at relay when measuring the large battery cable on the relay. I have replaced the small wire that goes from relay to solenoid. I am getting a single click at the starter solenoid and 10.4 volts at that terminal. If I jump a wire directly from battery to starter there is no issue immediately cranks. If I remove that wire at the relay and directly connect to battery it immediately turns over. Of course this leads me to the relay, but It is a newer relay from Napa. I just put on a new crown that I had and never used. Same thing. What would cause the lower voltage at the starter terminal on the relay. Any help would be appreciated.
    http://s1191.photobucket.com/albums/z469/selkplitt/
    1989 Grand Waggy stock
    2007 Commander Rock Mountain Edition
    2021 GMC Sierra 3.0 Duramax
  • '89_Wagon
    232 I6
    • Jan 01, 2019

Might be a finicky neutral safety switch (NSS). You can bypass it by jumping the related terminal to ground terminal on the starter relay. I also had this issue, replaced the relay and switch, and still had the same problem. You could try jamming the shifter up and down and that might close the NSS switch on the transmission. Bypassing it is far easier, albeit you lose the safety feature.
    '89 Grand Wagoneer
    AW4 Swap

Comment

• selkplitt
      232 I6
      • Sep 01, 2010

I recently had the GW to a trans shop. They removed the pan and inspected the parts to verify they were making connection to the nss. I do not have reverse lights and they said I had the wrong safety switch which I recently replaced with a Napa part. Everywhere I look it is the same switch I replaced so I don’t have an idea where to get a correct safety switch and they had no idea either. How did you bypass the switch. I know the relay has a connection for the nss. Did you just put that directly to ground. Thanks for the help
      Last edited by selkplitt; 09-19-2021, 12:16 PM.
      1989 Grand Waggy stock

Comment

• Tripwire
        AMC 4 OH! 1
        • Jul 30, 2000

there are 2 kinds of NSS they are pinned differently ( ask me how i know) the correct one when looking at the switch pins says B N B above the pins... the one you have is incorrect i would take a pic but its about impossible. it may not be the switch - perhaps you need to adjust out the slop in the linkage? there is a rod that goes thru a hole in another rod that secured with a small bolt

PM me if you need more help - you will have to use a DMM to tell the difference sometimes

steve
        Last edited by Tripwire; 09-19-2021, 12:34 PM.
        Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• selkplitt
          232 I6
          • Sep 01, 2010

Appreciate your help. I ran the ground from the battery to the relay. Still clicks. The problem is not getting the 12 Volts to the solenoid. Every time I turn the key I get the click or I get a start. I think my next course of action is to check the wire from the ignition switch to the relay. Somewhere I have a bad connection. When the starter solenoid clicks I have about 10.3 volts to solenoid and it is 10.3 from the terminal on the relay to the solenoid. I assume that means I am only getting 10.3 coming to the relay. I never not have a signal to start. It
          1989 Grand Waggy stock

Comment

• '89_Wagon
            232 I6
            • Jan 01, 2019

Originally posted by selkplitt
            Appreciate your help. I ran the ground from the battery to the relay. Still clicks. The problem is not getting the 12 Volts to the solenoid. Every time I turn the key I get the click or I get a start. I think my next course of action is to check the wire from the ignition switch to the relay. Somewhere I have a bad connection. When the starter solenoid clicks I have about 10.3 volts to solenoid and it is 10.3 from the terminal on the relay to the solenoid. I assume that means I am only getting 10.3 coming to the relay. I never not have a signal to start. It
            Not sure if you post got cut off... but here's a list to check.

1. Connect ground terminal on relay to another ground (sounds like you did that).

2. Check grounds from battery to chassis, engine to chassis (my 89 was on the passenger side engine bracket), and battery to engine.

3. Charge battery.

4. Check condition of wiring to starter and connections on the starter itself. '89 uses the same start as the 'XJ's and I believe the starter is very similar if not exactly the same.

5. Try jumping the ignition terminal with power from the battery. This would simulate the ignition switch. If this doesn't work after verifying the other side is grounded and you're hearing/feeling the relay click, something is wrong on the starter wiring of things or maybe even the starter itself.
            '89 Grand Wagoneer
            AW4 Swap

Comment

• selkplitt
              232 I6
              • Sep 01, 2010

It will be a bit before I can work on it again. Of your list I think checking grounds is all I have to do. I will post up if I find a solution to this. Thanks for the help
              1989 Grand Waggy stock

Comment

Working...
              X