International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Discussion

Old 02-04-2015, 03:30 PM

Giving up on my '90 GW.

I once loved my 1990 GW, but I don't think it ever gave a Expletive Deleted!Expletive Deleted!Expletive Deleted!Expletive Deleted! about me. I've invested more dollars than I care to tally (though I probably will) and hundreds, maybe thousands, of hours. Last fall something went wrong in my new S&J engine while heading up the Grapevine on I5; and it's been sitting ever since. I removed the head and did some exploring and found the engine needs to be rebuilt. No fault of the original builder I'm sure; the first 5,000 miles it was a beast.

Now I'm trying to decide between:
A. selling it as is to the highest bidder even if it's a $20k loss.
B. installing a new Jeep 360 in it finishing the last few details (increasing my cost) and selling it, probably for an overall loss but who knows.
C. swapping in a 5.3, AOD, finishing the last few details and selling it. Who knows where that would leave me financially.

Currently it has fresh paint, new lift, new katzkin leather, rebuilt door and cargo panels, new carpet, new headliner/visors, functioning sunroof, mega sound system (but tasteful IMHO), new brake lines, perfect refinished bumpers, fully sound deadened, rebuilt power window/tailgate systems, custom alternator, custom radiator and if I were looking at it the list goes on and on; so it's a lot to walk away from.

In addition to the engine issue, I have the new wood grain kit that needs to be installed, the factory rims need polishing and painting, the cowl panel still needs to be painted to match, the sunroof switch needs replaced (even though it works), and the transmission leaks. So plenty left to make it perfect.

Don't get me wrong, I'm just looking for input from someone who isn't emotionally involved, I'm not trying to sell it here right now. I will put it on ebay when the time comes.

Thanks for your opinions.
1990 Resto Mod Grand Wagoneer, S&J long block, stock intake and carb, Proform HEI, Elgin RV cam, Doug Thorley long tube headers, Magnaflow 3" cat, 3" Flowmaster 40, Nations 170 amp alt, Rough Country 3" lift, BJ's brake lines, Katzkins leather seats, 1200 Watt/12 speaker Soundstream audio system, sunroof.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:12 PM

Can you do the engine work or will it be subbed out? What about an engine swap? can you do it or do you need to pay someone?

A. Obviously the quickest and easiest way to be rid of it. You need to decide how much loss is acceptible.

B. Likely the best way to recoup as much money as possible. A runner always brings more cash. I doubt the cost of a "new" engine would bring enough additional money to be a good option. I would say the purchase of a known good running used engine would be more economical.

C. Unless you are completely and totally just "done" with the Waggy, I would bet this option would make the Jeep a keeper. With the money I would estimate you have invested so far I doubt this swap would be done for monetary reasons. The upgrade to reliability and driveability, however, might reignite the obsession.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:28 PM
360 AMC

Without knowing exactly what is requiring the rebuild it is a little hard to weigh in. Personally, I would look towards staying stock and having the S&J engine repaired,(assuming the rebuild is not going to require new machining), and enjoy the fine ride you have been creating. After all, no one ever gets out what they put in a FSJ, so you might as well enjoy the fruits of your labor and past purchases.
* 1973 jcab mounted on 1983 j20 frame. 360/t18/208 d44/d60. Almost completed
Old 02-04-2015, 05:30 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

What did you find that brings you to the conclusion that you need a rebuilt engine?
-Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
Old 02-04-2015, 05:55 PM
out of order

What did you ever find with the engine?
Did you ever get the heads pulled?

Tough call on what to do...hard to spend $ or time on a project once you get to that stage.

With the relatively low cost of LS engine dropout packages compared to completely rebuilding the AMC 360 it's kind of a no brainer which way I'd lean.
Yes, it's more $ for odds/ends to button everything up, but it's a much better way to spend your money IMHO.

AMC 360 in 1990 was probably ~150HP to rear wheels.
A stocker LSx truck engine is ~250HP to rear wheels.
Which would you rather have under the hood?
Old 02-04-2015, 05:56 PM
out of order

If you just want to unload it and be done, find a good used 360, plop it in there....
Finish odds/ends sell it...
Old 02-04-2015, 06:04 PM

Re-evaluate your skills and commitment(time and finances) then decide but if it's all about money/resale... A/ you bought the wrong hobby car. Shoulda bought something of marketable value for an investment. B/ A dead non-runner blown motor 90 wag is at best a $500-$1000 parts/project car. C: Money previously spent regardless if it's two hundred or twenty thousand is already spent and gone "poof" so not in play anymore today or tomorrow. These fat arse station wagons are gas sucking hobby cars for fun not investment collectables. You put money/time into them for love not profit or even hopes of breaking even. Time to rethink your commitment level and goals. Sometimes it's best to just lick your wounds(bad decisions/learning experiences) and walk away. Sorry you're in the corner but most of us have been there or will be.
If'n were me. I'd just fix the motor and keep riding till your next bout of remorse sets in. Money already spent, is well "already spent". Hobbies are like that.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:56 PM
304 AMC

My equation: What you could get for it now + cost to get it running = ?$

What could you buy with that ?$ instead.

Which would you rather have?

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Last edited by SJTD : 02-04-2015 at 11:04 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:27 AM

Thanks for the input.

I will not be keeping it. I would guess I could sell it as is for $5k pretty easily. I have the original engine for it, which I could simply re-ring and stick in there and push it to the $10k+ range, but there is at least a weekend of work involved in that for me, plus the new vinyl will cost me $1k to have installed, which I'd probably do before I sell it if I do replace the engine.

The full on rebuilt engine option either takes more of my time or more of my money but if it's $2k to simply buy another long block I would think in this particular wagon I might would get that back. It just extends my ownership which I'm not sure I'm okay with. If I go this far I'll pull the transmission and t case and have them rebuilt professionally. They work fine now but there are some leaks and the miles are high. And they would be the only remaining ugly parts if I left them.

The LS swap is very tempting, so is the hemi, and if I did that I would consign it at Mecum and see what I get.

I don't expect to recover my losses at this point, I've made too many mistakes. Just trying to minimize the losses.

I pulled the heads off of the existing engine and found a couple of pistons broken. Actually no damage that I could feel in those cylinders, I guess it could just need a couple of pistons and another valve job.
1990 Resto Mod Grand Wagoneer, S&J long block, stock intake and carb, Proform HEI, Elgin RV cam, Doug Thorley long tube headers, Magnaflow 3" cat, 3" Flowmaster 40, Nations 170 amp alt, Rough Country 3" lift, BJ's brake lines, Katzkins leather seats, 1200 Watt/12 speaker Soundstream audio system, sunroof.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:56 AM
350 Buick

How many miles did you get on that motor ?

after the 5K ?

Please, if you believe in the power of prayer, God and Jesus Christ... I beg you add my relationship with Heather Boyd to be reconciled to a new, stronger than ever, wonderful marriage ... to your prayer list and remember us daily.

Addendum:
And now that im getting Divorced .. i want to work on it , but no one else does -- ^ -- Heather, please leave your affair with Josh Smith and come back to the father of your children
Old 02-05-2015, 02:11 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

So are you just frustrated that the motor went away?

I was there with mine when the injection pump went out (almost $1K to rebuild those, plus you have to tear half the engine apart to get them out). It was right when I started going through my divorce, I had to move, I was changing jobs, and the last thing I needed was a dead vehicle. I still had interior work to do, and to install A/C, and to rebuild the transfer case (and I still have all that to do). And I almost did let it go cheap because I didn't want to deal with it any more. Well, I found a place to store it instead because I wasn't 100% sure that I wanted to sell it. that was back at the end of 2010. I am just now finally settled enough to start on it again. And I am super happy that I didn't sell it. I see these beautiful Waggies and Cherokees on here and know that I would have been just out looking for another to buy and build if I had sold this one.

My advice - don't make the decision yet. If you are frustrated, it will pass. You can fix the motor cheap with a couple pistons, rings, and a ball hone, and probably get away with doing it in the vehicle. Just don't make a decision that you will regret just because you are frustrated or mad right now.

But if you are truly done with your Jeep...yeah, who am I kidding...none of us could ever stay away from Jeeps.
-Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
Old 02-05-2015, 07:13 AM

What Diesel said. I've lost money on every vehicle I gave up on, and didn't on the ones I never wanted to sell. Take a break and store it away. It will not lose value at all over the next few years if stored properly. Eventually she'll wink at you and you'll be glad you kept her.

LogCabinResort.com

1991 Grand Wagoneer <95k miles
Old 02-05-2015, 10:03 AM
232 I6

Money aside, you'll be kicking yourself the first time you see one on the highway if you sell.

IMO-Do what it takes to get it back on the road with least effort and expense. R&R the 360, drive it and enjoy it. It's easy to get overcommitted on projects and lose focus of why I bought it in the first place. Baby steps...

1987 GW, 31s, stock.
1978 CJ5, 35s, not so stock.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:19 AM

It looks like you want to be done with it. I would try to spend the weekend and get it to $10,000 number you anticipate, 5K is large chunk of change to lose for a weekend of work. I don't know what your current situation is, maybe you can't afford to give the weekend to it, I understand you may not be able to. I need to finish installing the brake lines on my Wrangler, and than install all the new brake parts I bought for it, this project has been going on since August, due to my current family situation, I just don't have the time to do the 4 hours worth or work to finish the job, and I'm too cheap to pay someone to do it, plus I want to do it for my own therapy. Regardless, best of luck on your decision, when I sold my Wagoneer I never regretted it, I did not have the room or the resources to give it what it needed, I would like another one someday if I get the space and the resources.
2012 Honda Odyssey

“This car is a squadron of nuts and bolts flying together in loose formation.” - Colin Beer

www.colinmichaelfund.org
Old 02-05-2015, 05:29 PM
350 Buick

While Im not several thousands in this project, Ive gotten worn down by projects before. More times than not, after giving it a little time I came back around and was happy again. Ive found that no matter how much I like something, I can become tired of it if I constantly struggle with it or dont take breaks.

I would never put a chevy product in my Jeep, but Im heavily biased. Ive personally never made $5,000 in a weekend, cant imagine not putting the old engine back in and shooting for $10,000.
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 360
Old 02-05-2015, 06:39 PM
350 Buick

Park it and take a break from it for a while. I have done this 2 or 3 times.
Build Thread: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=174925
Old 02-05-2015, 08:31 PM

170 miles from you:

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=174276

LogCabinResort.com

1991 Grand Wagoneer <95k miles
Old 02-07-2015, 05:59 PM
258 I6

Try http://jmsservicecenter.com/

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...-engine-build/

He builds AMC engines and is about a hundred miles from you.