International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 10-16-2002, 07:54 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

I found a disturbing new problem last week when there was a bit of rain. At first, the wipers operated fine, and then the drivers side one would not sweep as far to the edge of the windshield as it should have, and on the downstroke, it would slam into the cowl. I pulled over and let it run with the wipers on while I tried to manually make the wiper cover the window in the proper way, then it went too far, and was swinging off the side of the windshield!
Now, the wipers are supposed to be linked, right? When I wiggle the passenger side wiper, the driver's side blade wiggles a bit, too, but when tried vice versa, the driver's blade can be manually moved all over the windsheild. I guess something's broken or stripped out internally...
Does anyone have any advice, on how to take thi thing apart or perhaps a replacement part that I could buy?

1977 J10, shortbed, 360, T18a 4-speed, D20, 32\" A/T tires, Warn hubs - Forest Service Green
Old 10-16-2002, 09:17 AM

My '87 GW does the same with the drivers side slaming into the windshield lowwer trim. Also my intermitant feature only works some times??
Old 10-16-2002, 09:20 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

My GW driver's side slaps the cowl on high speed...I think the arms just develop some slop over time and use. I've tried tightening bolts to no avail.
Old 10-16-2002, 10:23 AM
Shade Tree Shaman

IFSJ, its sounds like either the wiper arm or the pivot is worn out
Old 10-17-2002, 03:11 AM

How hard and $$ is this to fix?
Old 10-17-2002, 05:41 AM
Shade Tree Shaman

SL you may be able to get away with re-positioning the wiper arm on the pivot. intermittent problem=?
Old 10-17-2002, 05:54 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

I had the same prob on my Chero. If you look closely at the arm there is a smaller arm under it that attaches to a pin with a slot on it. It looks like a circlip is supposed to keep that smaller arm attached. I have not been able to find one to fit yet.

GFD
Marc<br /><b>343 W6</b> <br /><br />You can\'t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline-it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -- Frank Zappa<br /><br />You\'re a feminist? aww isn\'t that cute........
Old 10-17-2002, 07:11 AM
Master Mechanic

I had the same problem illegalFSJ.You adjust the travel by doing one arm at a time,if I remember there is a set screw(allen I believe)to remove and you have to detach the small arm(be careul not to loose the c clip),gently work the arm to the top of the drive stud.The drive studs are splined so you rotate the arm to line up with the next spline.Tighten it and run the wipers.It's a trial and error deal.If this doesn't help the you have a bushing worn somewhere in the linkage.

Shortlid there is a small black box under the driver's side of the dash(just under the light switch,held up with velcro)that controls your intermittent feature.It has plugs on either side you have to disconnect.If you can find one in a salvage yard or if have a friend nearby with a FSJ( your '87 is the same as my '88 and probably '86-'88,in '89 they changed the wiring harness and pre '85 had the different dash)try swapping it out.If this doesn't solve the problem then you probably have a bad stalk switch.
\'95 Jimmy SLS 4 door 4wd 4.3 CPI/Auto<br />\'89 Grand Am LE 2 door<br />\'88 Grand Wagoneer sadly had to sell<br />\'92 CapriXR2 Turbo/Accel TFI coil<br />\'70 Monte Carlo SS454 107,000 original miles -sad to say but had to sell her<br />Had a \'79 Cherkee S 10 years ago and wish I still did
Old 10-18-2002, 05:32 AM

OK, thanks everyone
Old 10-18-2002, 07:00 AM

Hey Shortlid,

Glad to see another Putnam County FSJ'er here.