What's a SUPER Chief - OLD TOPIC MESS UP...REPLY HERE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • testuser
    Administrator
    • Apr 09, 2000

What's a SUPER Chief - OLD TOPIC MESS UP...REPLY HERE!

I'm not sure what but there's a problem with the old topic. I'm assuming right access on the file but I can't get to the web server (not allowed). So we can continue it here:

------

Greetings,
    What exactely is a 1977 Super Chief? How is it different from a Chief?

I understand this might be an obvious questions, so if possible, please e-mail me with your reply.

Thanks,

-arbi

-----

It is apparently a Wagoneer upgraded to WT-spec running-gear, with the flares molded in on the back. A certain dealer did the conversion back when the trucks were new; the Brooklands "Wagoneer Portfolio" book has a contemporary article about the truck. I don't believe this was a factory-sponsored conversion, though you might have been able to order the conversion through other dealers besides the one doing the conversion (think of buying a conversion van today).

Needless to say, finding one still in existence today would be a miracle...

Bob Barry

------

BLAST! Over Christmas, I saw one that was in immaculate condition. The owner(new) claimed that it was just a trim option for the Cherokee Chief, like Laredo or Renegade(mixing his Jeep Metaphors) I knew he was wrong on that because it(body) was much narrower than my Chief, so I kinda let the conversation die.
    It was a sweet truck though. I didnt know they were extremely rare or I might have made him an offer, especially since he didnt seem to know what he had.

Were the lift and custom bumper part of the original 'conversion'?

missionpilot

------

I've gotta 78 Cherokee Super Chief with all the original papers and manual. It is not a WT though, at least the fenders have never been altered.I have often wondered what exactly the difference is. So far all I can see is the Cherokee emblem with the "S" below it.

highsteel

------

Does it say "Super Chief" anywhere on the truck? Or just the Cherokee "S" emblem?

Bob Barry

-------

I thought it appropriate to chime in given my user name I have a '79 Super Chief. It is basically a 2-door, WT, Chief package, with the words "Super Chief" along the sides and back where "Cherokee Chief" is on other WT's. It is two tone black and silver.
    I was told by the PO, who was the original owner, it was a special edition from AMC/ Jeep of Costa Mesa, CA (now Orange Coast Jeep I think). I believe it was a factory authorized, dealer installed option. By option I mean the paint, because the lettering is stenciled into the paint and not decals. It has the large round Indian head "S" emblems on either side behind the rear windows. The PO bought it from the dealer with a 2 -1/2" Rancho Lift, AM/FM/CB, and 33's.

The PO had a commercial metal fabrication business and made a few extras for it like a steering box brace, locking center armrest , and a roof mounted spare tire carrier.

It is almost exactly the same today except the paint has faded and thinned in spots, but it still cleans up real nice. (Its times like these I wish I had the skills to post a picture).

The motor needs a rebuild due to very low compression and 160,000 miles. I have a '79 golden eagle with a brand new motor that will find its way into the Super Chief sometime this year.

Anyway I hope that helps.....Rob

Super Chief

----

NOW GO TO IT!!

and email me pics if you want them hosted.
  • Bob Barry
    Jeep Doctor
    • Apr 09, 2000

Nothing new to add, but a google search did turn up a Super Chief Pontiac, a Super Chief locmotive and a Super Chief motorhome.

And one "Super Chief" here in the member's rigs of our very-own IFSJA site, but it just looks like any other lifted NT Cherokee "S".
    1987 J-20
    Video projects for my J-20 on Youtube

Comment

• Lindel
      Perfesser of Jeepology
      • Jun 15, 2000

I don't think the Super Chief ever was anything more than an engineer at Jeep's dream. The closest I've seen is called the Long Track that Zack Heisey is working on. basically an extended model 17 with an extra set of FSJ front doors.

I don't have his website handy, but he has pics of it on there. Present engine/drivetrain is AMC IIRC, but plans are for a 500 Caddy block.
      Jeep Grounds
      RRV Homepage
      Texas Full Size Jeep Association
      1987 Grand Wagoneer
      AMC 360/TF727/NP229
      1999 Wrangler Sport
      4.0L/AX-15/NV231

?Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction? by Ronald Reagan.

Formerly of DFW/Gun Barrel City, TX - eventually to return...

Comment

• mdill
        Gone. Not Forgotten.
        • Nov 22, 2000

I don't beleive there were any "factory" super
        chiefs, there are a lot of people calling "S"
        cherokees super chiefs, but they would be wrong,
        or missinformed, or just plain wishfull thinking.
        I do think there may have been some dealer hacks
        that generated something they called a super chief,
        on of which is the above mentioned dealer that
        used a WT running gear, WT fron fenders and some
        body magic to make rear flairs on a 4 door full
        optioned out Wagoneer, I think they were totaly
        optioned with 401's and the only pic I have seen
        it came with winch also. Could there be other
        dealer "Super Chiefs" I don't see why not.

Mike D.
        -----------------------------------------
        Home of ADHD project list

1977 J-10 Honcho 360-T15-D20
        1977 Cherokee WT 360-Th400-NP241 true-trac(s)
        1979 Cherokee 4 Door 258-T-18-D20
        1981 Cherokee Chief WT 360-727-NP208
        1972 K20 Suburban 350 SM465 205
        And the other stuff that gets driven
        ----------------------------------------

Comment

• 1977BigChief
          230 Tornado
          • May 13, 2015

The "s chief" is the sport model, Or SJ.

Comment

• 68glad
            350 Buick
            • Jun 01, 2006

finally some clarification after 11+yrs.
            68 gladiator- 455/400/20 r.i.p.
            78 wagoneer- 401, drw60, drw70, 203/205, 38's, oba, obw, hydroboost, dual p/s pump, bla bla bla

"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."

Comment

• DieselSJ
              304 AMC
              • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by 1977BigChief
              The "s chief" is the sport model, Or SJ.
              Um, no. SJ is basically any full sized Jeep. The SJ designation has nothing to do with the "S" model Chief.
              -87 Grand, 6.5L diesel, MHI TE06H turbo, Water/air intercooler, Art Carr 700R4, CS-130, hydroboost. 21/24mpg, dead 229 [Custom 242 on the way]
              -99 XJ Limited.
              -Jeepspeed 1717 -Built 4.0, FAST EFI, Rubicon Express, Bilstein, Rigid Industries, 4 Wheel Parts, G2 Axle, Currie Enterprises
              -Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• joe
                • Apr 28, 2000

Originally posted by DieselSJ
                Um, no. SJ is basically any full sized Jeep. The SJ designation has nothing to do with the "S" model Chief.
                Yup "SJ" is a FSJ designation Chryco came up with after they bought Jeep.
                The "S" on the earlier Cherokee Chief badges was for "sport" model not super.
                joe
                "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• MadMax78
                  258 I6
                  • May 26, 2010

Fugly, Fugly, Fugly

The Toro and the Rampage body style have been done to death. Looks more like a hopped up 4 door elcamino and ranchero to me.Expletive Deleted! Ford had the Sport Trac, Subaru had the Brat and Chevrolet had the Avalanche, so I don?t know why Fiat thinks a Dodge/Ram version would fly.Expletive Deleted! I?m not a Dodge/Ram fan any way so it makes me no difference.Expletive Deleted! I just wish all the manufacturers would quit with the concepts if they never intend to build them.Expletive Deleted! It won?t make me buy their product just because they have a cool concept vehicle I like
                  MadMax78
                  78 Cherokee Chief, Wide Track, 360, TH400, Quadra Trac, SOA, 35" BFG KM2, Edelbrock Carb & Intake

Comment

• mud89
                    304 AMC
                    • Nov 18, 2009

the right answer was this one : "It is apparently a Wagoneer upgraded to WT-spec running-gear, with the flares molded in on the back. A certain dealer did the conversion back when the trucks were new;" the dealer was the famous Brian Chuchua
                    J10 sportside '81, J10 Golden Eagle '77, Wagoneer '65, Gladiator '64 + parts rigs

Comment

• asphaltrockdweller
                      350 Buick
                      • Jul 09, 2009

Originally posted by mud89
                      the right answer was this one : "It is apparently a Wagoneer upgraded to WT-spec running-gear, with the flares molded in on the back. A certain dealer did the conversion back when the trucks were new;" the dealer was the famous Brian Chuchua
                      This is correct!
                      Brian Chuchua was the Carol Shelby of the Jeep world. You can thank him for the Jeep Scrambler basically. He designed the Jeep Goucho, that later went on to become the CJ8.
                      I own one of his Yellow jeep Wagoneer's

I am trying to sell a bus on craigslist and in the add I put maybe open to partial trades etc. Well anyway, I got a nibble on the bus and the guy says he has a 1982 Cherokee Super Chief. OK, now I think I got a pretty good handle on most of what AMC/Jeep offered over the years, but I have not really paid a whole lot of
                      (Ristow)fram!....that deserves a ratchet upside the head.

Comment

Working...
                      X