• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RoofPrints
    327 Rambler
    • Aug 02, 2003

fuel problems

My '87 GW was running rough when I parked it a couple months back. Yesterday i put in a fresh battery and it fired right up. It ran great until I put gas in, then once more started sputtering, missing, etc. I'm thinking I have a bunch of crud in the tank that had settled while it sat, and then got stirred up again with the new gas. That's just a guess, but I think it makes sense. Do I need to drop the tank and clean it out, or is there some easier way to treat it? Anything I should replace besides the fuel filter? Thanks.

?Why is it that we drive in a parkway and park in a driveway??
    Gallagher
    Jim<br />-----------------------<br /><br />VinylWag: stock \'87 GW w/factory vinyl top & power moonroof - Engine fire victim!<br />SleepingWag: \'89 GW w/bad motor and stylin\' headliner - 32s and chopped fenders, light bar, dual steering stabilizer, CB, and rhino. - Still in Portland, OR, 450 miles away! Might be coming home sometime this century.<br />\'96 Suburban 2500 LT 7.4L w/roof-mounted gun rack - DD<br />\'84 F250 diesel 4x4 rustbucket, bad tranny (possible parts donor/generator?) - buried in snow
  • joe
    • Apr 28, 2000

If it's been sitting all winter with a near empty tank odds are good there's water in the tank from condensation. You might try running a few bottles of Heet or any fuel dryer in the tank, clean out the fuel in the carb and blow out the fuel lines. If you need to get into the tank there's an access cover on the floor over the sending unit. It's riveted so you'll need to drill them out and later remount with sheet metal screws. Don't drill too deep, the plastic tank isn't far below the cover.
    joe
    "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• RoofPrints
      327 Rambler
      • Aug 02, 2003

I have already run a couple of bottles of fuel dryer through the system. What is the best way to blow out the lines? Also, to find the access cover do I just pull up the carpeting on that side? Thanks for the information; that sounds a lot better than dropping the tank.

?Everybody loves a nut, the whole world loves a wierdo.?
      Johnny Cash
      Jim<br />-----------------------<br /><br />VinylWag: stock \'87 GW w/factory vinyl top & power moonroof - Engine fire victim!<br />SleepingWag: \'89 GW w/bad motor and stylin\' headliner - 32s and chopped fenders, light bar, dual steering stabilizer, CB, and rhino. - Still in Portland, OR, 450 miles away! Might be coming home sometime this century.<br />\'96 Suburban 2500 LT 7.4L w/roof-mounted gun rack - DD<br />\'84 F250 diesel 4x4 rustbucket, bad tranny (possible parts donor/generator?) - buried in snow

Comment

• osceola
        350 Buick
        • Feb 12, 2004

plastic tank so there should be no rust in it prbly condensation . dropping tank is pia last thing i would do . wonder if you got a bad load of new gas ????
        henry

Comment

• joe
          • Apr 28, 2000

I'd break the line just before the fuel filter(tank side of filter) and see if you can blow it back to the tank just using your mouth. If you use air pressure from a compressor I think I would break the line at the tank also. If left connected there I'd be afraid high pressure could blow the sock/screen off the pickup tube?
          Yup just remove the carpet behind the rear seat and you'll see the cover plate.
          joe
          "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• talyon
            230 Tornado
            • Apr 03, 2005

"I'd break the line just before the fuel filter(tank side of filter) and see if you can blow it back to the tank just using your mouth. If you use air pressure from a compressor I think I would break the line at the tank also."

Ok so Im trying to chase down a fuel problem sometimes i get fuel sometimes i dont, the pump and filter are new. But I cant blow air back in to the tank like its clogged what is the best way to find out/ what do i do??? i can blow through the return line from the carb side of the filter. Im so close to haveing my first running FSJ the wait is killing me
            1997 Mustang Cobra vert<br />1982 Jeep Wagoneer

Comment

• andy d
              Shade Tree Shaman
              • May 06, 2000

uhhmn, I used have an old GMC that would clog the gas line when the tank was run too low. This was a common occurance because the sender was bad. To "fix" it I kept a tube less tire valve stem handy and would use compressed air to blow the crud back into the fuel tank. I would try rigging a temporary fuel tank and see if the jeep will run. Make provisions for the return line. If this rig works then i would clean out the tank and replace the pickup sock. BTW, Is the line clogged or is it sucking air? Ive had the nipple on the sender rot out on a few of my cars. Fuel pumps dont pump air very well.
              \'88 gwag,pure stock

Comment

• talyon
                230 Tornado
                • Apr 03, 2005

Thanks ill try that.
                1997 Mustang Cobra vert<br />1982 Jeep Wagoneer

Comment

• RoofPrints
                  327 Rambler
                  • Aug 02, 2003

Originally posted by talyon:
                  "I'd break the line just before the fuel filter(tank side of filter) and see if you can blow it back to the tank just using your mouth. If you use air pressure from a compressor I think I would break the line at the tank also."

Ok so Im trying to chase down a fuel problem sometimes i get fuel sometimes i dont, the pump and filter are new. But I cant blow air back in to the tank like its clogged what is the best way to find out/ what do i do??? i can blow through the return line from the carb side of the filter. Im so close to haveing my first running FSJ the wait is killing me
                  There must be some kind of anti-backflow valve. I could blow air through the return line to the tank, but not through the main line. However, when I blew from the tank end of the line, I coated my engine bay with gas! Incidentally, even though my filter looked fine, when I opened up the carb I found a ton of sludge and gravel in the bowl and clogging the jets. Where in the world did that come from?

"I?m not weird . . . I?m gifted."

Comment

• Mark G
                    327 Rambler
                    • Mar 21, 2004

It's entirely possible that somewhere down the line, a fuel filter had either ripped internally, or had been removed to make it home if it were blocked. Sounds like you've found the solution to your problem. Clogged jets sure will do that.

Mark
                    \"Carpe diem\"

Comment

Working...
                    X