X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • offthebeatenpath
    232 I6
    • May 31, 2019

So as i'm laying under the truck, turning the crank with a socket, the #2 and #3 cylinders give me a very wet wooshy gooshy sound as they compress that I don't get from the other cylinders. Also, they then start dripping coolant down at a faster rate than before. That seems to lean me towards head gasket.... but I'm still unclear if there's any way to nail it down as that instead of a cracked head?

Comment

• SJTD
      304 AMC
      • Apr 26, 2012

Either way the head has to come off so does it matter?

Unless you're going to scrap the motor if the head's cracked, then I guess you would save some work but it doesn't seem likely.

Are these known for cracking heads?
      Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• jeepdan
        232 I6
        • Jan 18, 2011

I don't think that they are prone to head cracking.
        It's just it's 54 years of age.
        And realistically, in that time span, how often would the antifreeze have been changed on schedule to keep the corrosion inhibitors fresh.
        2020 Gladiator Overland Gator Color (daily driver)
        91 Grand Wagoneer (in storage)
        67 Kaiser M715 (frame off restoration)
        64 US Army CJ3B (frame off restoration)
        66 M416 trailer (original "nice" condition)
        Two unrestored 56 Willys trucks (one a pickup, one a stake bed)

Comment

• offthebeatenpath
          232 I6
          • May 31, 2019

From the looks of things after I got the head pulled, and this is no scientific evaluation, but it looks like I had leaks between cylinders 2, 3, 4, & 5. There was carbon buildup on the gasket in all three shoulder areas, so I'm sure the head gasket was toast. From the look of the intake passages, it's been leaking for awhile too. It's hard for me to tell how the cam looks, not too bad in my opinion, but I don't know jack.

The cylinder head is at the machine shop, awaiting a cleaning and diagnosis.
          The guy there (probably almost 70) was really excited to see some old cast iron come through his door. He said he'd really rather work on my head than the Audi A8 that blew a timing chain at 120mph. That thing has 5 valves per cylinder! They were all bent to hell.

Anyway, I'm hoping the head is good, so I don't have to go down the path of engine swaps. I've come across a couple 2 barrel intake manifolds that I would jump on if I knew my cylinder head is good.

Here's some progress photos:

(Edit, FlIcKr sucks today and won't let me log in. Why is photo hosting so difficult?)
          Last edited by offthebeatenpath; 08-26-2019, 07:19 PM.

Comment

• offthebeatenpath
            232 I6
            • May 31, 2019

As Miner_Jeepy noted in his build thread, there's a few double barrel intakes floating around on the market right now, and it makes me wonder what carbs could work with that intake?

Sounds like the Holley 2300 was the carb that came stock on the 2 barrel, what other carbs could work and how many CFM would be ideal?

Could I go as high as a 500 CFM 2 barrel Holley racing carb? What would the upside and downsides be?
            Last edited by offthebeatenpath; 08-27-2019, 01:14 PM.

Comment

• offthebeatenpath
              232 I6
              • May 31, 2019

Have any of you guys utilized an ultrasonic parts cleaner in the process of your restoration/rebuild work?

I just started looking at some this week, and the idea is super intriguing.

Amazon of course has a pile of them that get pretty good reviews for what you pay for it.

Comment

• 63J200atLSU
                327 Rambler
                • Jan 15, 2016

Originally posted by offthebeatenpath
                Have any of you guys utilized an ultrasonic parts cleaner in the process of your restoration/rebuild work?

I just started looking at some this week, and the idea is super intriguing.

Amazon of course has a pile of them that get pretty good reviews for what you pay for it.

https://www.amazon.com/Mophorn-Comme...ay&sr=8-4&th=1
                What parts are you looking at cleaning with it? For small parts, I have a harbor freight parts cleaner that I think cost me $40 and another few bucks for the ultrasonic cleaning powder. It seems to work pretty well, imo...
                '63 J200 Resto-mod in progress
                (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=178651)

If all goes well, we can toast to accidental successes.

I'm convinced I'm just too dumb to know that I can't restore this old truck...

Comment

• 63J200atLSU
                  327 Rambler
                  • Jan 15, 2016

Cylinder Head Reassembly

I also wanted to mention... When you go to reinstall the cylinder head, do yourself a favor and get the oil line (the one that goes to the back of the cylinder head) on the cylinder head BEFORE you put it on. I literally screamed from hand exhaustion trying to reach up in there after it was on the first time I did my head gasket... And pay it forward.

Comment

• offthebeatenpath
                    232 I6
                    • May 31, 2019

Yeah, mostly small parts, though who knows!
                    I'm looking at all of the cylinder head bolts, plus the manifold bolts that are all greasy and gummed up, thinking it'd be a heck of a lot easier to throw them in a bowl and walk away.

I did make a mental note about that oil line when I took the cylinder head out. Thankfully, mine is a flexible line, not a hard line, but it'll still be tricky enough to get routed back into the correct place.

In the mean time, I decided I needed to start getting rid of the rot. Cut and grind! I've been doing a bit of practicing on my sheet metal welding, and it looks like I still need more practice. Now that I have some of the old metal out, I'll practice with some of that too. It shouldn't be too bad. I'm not planning on full carpet, so I don't want it to look too awful, but I'll still probably roll some bedliner or textured paint on. Here's some progress shots:

I'm trying to work with square corners, I figure that'll be easier to patch in later on. We'll see, this is uncharted territory for me. I can sort out mechanical stuff, and I've spent some time welding, but nothing this thin.

How have you guys decided where to cut your losses on cutting out old sheet metal? How do you decided where to stop?

Comment

• SOLSAKS
                      304 AMC
                      • Jul 25, 2016

once I had some rusty floor pans replaced,
                      there were no replacements, the guy formed them from sheet metal
                      but he mainly used 3M FUSOR adhesive to attach them.

stronger than ever before now !

dave in NC
                      SOLSAKS - dave
                      1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
                      1982 J-10 Fleetside
                      1988 grand wagoneer
                      2004 RUBICON jeep
                      Benson, NC

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                        Administrator
                        • Oct 31, 2016

How have you guys decided where to cut your losses on cutting out old sheet metal? How do you decided where to stop?
                        When I did the floors in my last project, I did the passenger side first and kind of did what you are doing (work with square corners and cutting chunks here are there). It ended up being a giant PITA because you end up having to make a quilt worth of little patch panels to fill it all up.

When I did the driver side, I cut in a way where I only needed to make 3 rectanular'ish patch panels total: One for the kick panel (the upward sloping area behind the pedals), one for the actual floor board, and one for the trans tunnel. IMHO it is easier to fit larger panels, than lots of smaller panels. You also have less welding to do (less holes, less grinding, too) and a stronger panel.

I have only done floor panels once and am no expert so don't take my word for it.

If that were my floor board, here is how I would cut it:

I would make the green patch panel first. That holds the least weight and is good to get you in your groove. It's flat and should be really easy to make. On my Falcon, when there were spot welds, I would drill a small hole through the flange but not my patch, lay them together, weld the corners, then the spot weld holes (fill the hole with my welder), then stitch the other sides. Then do the yellow patch because it will probably need a bend toward the front, and lastly the side of the trans tunnel.

Kaiser Jeeps has done amazing work like this (I am sure you have read Sadies build, if not, read that and copy him). Same with Full Size Jeeper's 78 driver build. Copy them.
                        Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                        (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                        79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                        (Cherokee Build Thread)
                        11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                        09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                        00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• offthebeatenpath
                          232 I6
                          • May 31, 2019

Whelp, I figured 6 months is probably long enough to wait between posts....

Had a busy hunting season September through November, and then December we started on our kitchen renovation. I promised my wife we'd do it, so I need to make good on that before I dig back into the Gladiator. Plus, I have a limited amount of shop space, so I needed to leave the Jeep outside this winter so I could use my woodshop tools. I did manage to pull the engine before it snowed, but I'll come back to that later-

Here's some progress photos from our remodel, because a post with out pics is worthless, as we all know.

Obligatory before photo:

Pantry torn out:

Dismantling half wall and getting access to plumbing:

Working on tearing out the tile floor and backer board:

New layout, old cabinets:

Flooring nearly done, sheetrock patched:

Current view. New cabinet boxes in, new range and hood in, new countertops next to range. Painting done, lighting pretty much done. Now if I could only get the cabinet maker (me) to do his part and finish the cabinet fronts.....

The new island top, in my shop with finish curing. Once I get this done, I can set the new sink and move on to the cabinet fronts. My wife is a patient woman! It'll be worth it.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                            Administrator
                            • Oct 31, 2016

Looks GREAT!!!! That Island top looks sooo classy!
                            Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                            (Cherokee Build Thread)
                            00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• 63J200atLSU
                              327 Rambler
                              • Jan 15, 2016

Whelp, I figured 6 months is probably long enough to wait between posts....

Had a busy hunting season September through November, and then December we started on our kitchen renovation. I promised my wife we'd do it, so I need to make good on that before I dig back into the Gladiator. Plus, I have a limited amount of shop space, so I needed to leave the Jeep outside this winter so I could use my woodshop tools. I did manage to pull the engine before it snowed, but I'll come back to that later-

Here's some progress photos from our remodel, because a post with out pics is worthless, as we all know.

Obligatory before photo:

Pantry torn out:

Dismantling half wall and getting access to plumbing:

Working on tearing out the tile floor and backer board:

New layout, old cabinets:

Flooring nearly done, sheetrock patched:

Current view. New cabinet boxes in, new range and hood in, new countertops next to range. Painting done, lighting pretty much done. Now if I could only get the cabinet maker (me) to do his part and finish the cabinet fronts.....

The new island top, in my shop with finish curing. Once I get this done, I can set the new sink and move on to the cabinet fronts. My wife is a patient woman! It'll be worth it.
                              Holy hell dude, that looks great! I realized it's been a hot minute since I checked in on here, and even though we'd talked through fb, it's nice to fill in the gaps!

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                                Administrator
                                • Oct 31, 2016

I miss this truck! Any updates?
                                Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                                (Cherokee Build Thread)
                                00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

Working...
                                X