• Show
Clear All
  • brent
    304 AMC
    • Feb 14, 2003

is there an ideal winter coolant mix?

Running 50/50 right now.
    Single digits in the AM.
    No noticeable problems at startup or after.
    If it ain't broke don't fix it?
    Brent
    79 J10 360-T18-D20 D44's 31X10.5 Edel 1406 w/R4B, speed
    -despite thousands invested, 360 in putrid death dance-

"Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride."
  • tgreese
    • May 29, 2003

AFAIK there's no advantage to a stronger mix over the 50-50 unless your local temps go below -30F or whatever (check the bottle). 100% antifreeze will give you the lowest temperature rating, though it is a less efficient coolant... but you probably don't care if you live somewhere that needs that low a rating.
    Tim Reese
    Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
    Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
    Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
    GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
    ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• drlocke
      Roadside Mechanic
      • Dec 29, 2003

If it aint broke don't fix it!

Comment

• osceola
        350 Buick
        • Feb 12, 2004

actually 100 percent does not give you the best deep freeze combination.according to what ive read on the back of the bottle about two thirds ethylene glycol one third water will take you down to about 60 below.
        henry

Comment

• drlocke
          Roadside Mechanic
          • Dec 29, 2003

Originally posted by osceola:
          actually 100 percent does not give you the best deep freeze combination.according to what ive read on the back of the bottle about two thirds ethylene glycol one third water will take you down to about 60 below.
          That's what I've seen as well. But I don't wanna go where the temps go that low. My folks taught me to stay away from dangerous places. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

• osceola
            350 Buick
            • Feb 12, 2004

On occaision I do have to go up to CCCCCCCanada in the WWWWWWWWWinter TTTTTTime.and it gets CCCCCCold.
            henry

Comment

• Rande
              Ph.D in Jeep B.S.
              • Jun 26, 2000

If you wait until its broke to fix it, its your block you will be fixing.
              N4ZYV

I ain't giving up. I've worked hard, it took me years to work my way to the bottom.

1998 Cherokee Sport (not maroon! Have history with maroon XJs)
              1937 Chevy pickup (in progress)
              1966 Mustang
              1937 IH D2

Comment

• brent
                304 AMC
                • Feb 14, 2003

Rande--what does that comment mean? That I should be better than 50/50 when the minus 0 weather comes? I'm a desert boy still learning about the mountains and mountain climate. Thanks.
                Everyone else who replied: as usual thanks for the info gents.
                Brent
                79 J10 360-T18-D20 D44's 31X10.5 Edel 1406 w/R4B, speed
                -despite thousands invested, 360 in putrid death dance-

"Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride."

Comment

• mdill9
                  350 Buick
                  • Sep 21, 2004

Originally posted by tgreese:
                  AFAIK there's no advantage to a stronger mix over the 50-50 unless your local temps go below -30F or whatever (check the bottle). 100% antifreeze will give you the lowest temperature rating, though it is a less efficient coolant... but you probably don't care if you live somewhere that needs that low a rating.
                  I don't know what 100% does at -35+ but at -30
                  it gets pretty darn thick, I usually shoot for ~60/40
                  here in Minnesota, the higher the water content the better the heat capacity (as long as there is
                  some corrosion protection), so in the south I would
                  go more in the 40/60 range.

Mike D.

Comment

• RoofPrints
                    327 Rambler
                    • Aug 02, 2003

Everyone here recommends 50/50. I'm only in my second winter, but it seems to work just fine. We just had a week straight of sub-zero temps, and last year I saw a couple of days of -20. No problems at all with the mix. The nice thing about 50/50 is how simple it is to mix; even the hillbillies here can handle it!

?Honor before honors.?
                    Sir Richard Burton
                    Jim<br />-----------------------<br /><br />VinylWag: stock \'87 GW w/factory vinyl top & power moonroof - Engine fire victim!<br />SleepingWag: \'89 GW w/bad motor and stylin\' headliner - 32s and chopped fenders, light bar, dual steering stabilizer, CB, and rhino. - Still in Portland, OR, 450 miles away! Might be coming home sometime this century.<br />\'96 Suburban 2500 LT 7.4L w/roof-mounted gun rack - DD<br />\'84 F250 diesel 4x4 rustbucket, bad tranny (possible parts donor/generator?) - buried in snow

Comment

• drlocke
                      Roadside Mechanic
                      • Dec 29, 2003

Originally posted by Rande:
                      If you wait until its broke to fix it, its your block you will be fixing.
                      This is what temp gauges are for! [img]smile.gif[/img] I look at mine--frequently; just made it a habit to cycle the gauges briefly as I drive. I learn what angle the pointers should be at in normal operation so at a glance I can tell if something is heading for trouble. In 30 years of driving I may have come close a few times but I have never boiled a block.

Comment

• William 79ge
                        232 I6
                        • May 19, 2005

i do belive were not worried about you boiling a block... but when water(antifreeze) freezes it expands, when it runs out of room in an area to expand it will make your block expand and hense break it
                        79 Jeep Cherokee
                        WT Golden Eagle - Now "Black" Eagle

Mods: Spray Can Bedliner on Rockers, Grill Guard, and Interior floor. Painted Rustolem Black. TFI upgrade.

Future Mods: Carb Rebuild, SOA, Rear Blocks, GM NP208 Swap, GM 1/2 ton Axle Swap with lockouts, Lincoln Lockers front and rear, Some 34" to 35" Swamper Tire.

Comment

• J10-401
                          304 AMC
                          • Oct 01, 2005

I went jogging today in shorts and a tee-shirt. What exactly is this winter thing y'all are mentioning? [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ December 10, 2005, 10:35 PM: Message edited by: J10-401 ]
                          \'84 J10 Pioneer -- Edelbrock headers, Intake. MSD 8778 Ignition. MC 4-bl carb. 1970 "319" 51-CC heads. Comp cam. 401/727 B&M truck-shifter (floor), 3.73:1 gears. 31\"x12.5\"x15 ProComp A/T tires on M/T Classic II 15x10 wheels. Rear swaybar. Bucket seat conversion & redone interior. Interior roll bar and 4-point harnesses.

Comment

• madmule
                            327 Rambler
                            • Sep 15, 2005

Originally posted by J10-401:
                            I went jogging today in shorts and a tee-shirt. What exactly is this winter thing y'all are mentioning? [img]smile.gif[/img]
                            Somebody chuck a snowball at this dude!
                            CARPE JEEPEM
                            79 Cherokee "MATA BURRO"
                            Co-founder and proud sponsor of Ol' Farts 4x4 Club of America

Comment

Working...
                            X