Should I paint my Pignose like BJs logo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nograin
    304 AMC
    • Dec 19, 2000

best I can tell these are ABS.
    The JB weld plastic epoxy and putty doesn't work well on ABS.
    Yea I tried it too.
    The best with ABS is chemically disolving and joining the cracks. Acetone works OK. Acetone mixed with scraps of ABS provides better filling.
    I got lazy and simply used the ABS Pipe cement that I've had in the house (there was one vent stack with some ABS when I moved here).
    Works very well except for the color.

I should have some photos of the repairs to the jeep's grill but can't find 'em right now.

Here's a couple of useful webspages:
    Page 1 of 2 - Intro To Solvent Welding Plastic - posted in Homemades: I've been compiling a list mainly for personal use of common engineering plastics used in Nerf and their solubility in the common solvents and figured I'd share what I have since I know a lot of you *cough*Bob*cough*BadWrench*cough* will have some more to add.Solvent-welding plastic involves using a solvent to partially liquefy plastic along the joint and allowing the joint to solidify causing a permanent chemica...

This table shows the plastic most often used in automotive applications. Use it to help you identify the plastic you are working with.

Found the pics and loaded a few up.

Grill_before_repair

Grill_with_ABS_Cement

Grill_with ABS_cement - Building this section up in stages.

Grill_1 year later_(2018)

The black line is visible from the front view. Important thing is that the repairs have held solid.
    Suppose one of those chrome paint pens on the crack would hide it better.

I like the idea of SEM Colorcoat (for plastic) to paint the exposed white ABS.
    Last edited by nograin; 12-27-2020, 11:54 AM.
    '85 Grand Wagoneer
    360 727auto, NP229
    body by beer (PO)
    carries wood inside
    no "wood" outside
    My other car is a fish

Comment

• rang-a-stang
      Administrator
      • Oct 31, 2016

Great! I hope my fiberglassing works as well as your ABS Pipe cement!
      Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
      (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
      (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
      79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
      (Cherokee Build Thread)
      11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
      09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
      00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
        304 AMC
        • Jul 20, 2014

(Rang to house keeping) NO NO NO, Come on in. I'am working on my grill for my 79 Cherokee. I promise, I don't even have all the necessary chemicals to cook meth with me on this particular business trip. Go check out my build thread on IFSJA if you think I'am a lair!
        1978 Wagoneer

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
        Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box

Comment

• letank
          AMC 4 OH! 1
          • Jun 03, 2002

Originally posted by nograin
          The JB weld plastic epoxy and putty doesn't work well on ABS.

The best with ABS is chemically disolving and joining the cracks. Acetone works OK. Acetone mixed with scraps of ABS provides better filling.

Thank you for the chemistry lesson.

This is a very good and proven point: acetone with piece of ABS or the matching plastic pieces works really well.... I had some time to practice on ta taillight lense some time ago... repairing the missing screw hole bit. It works perfectly.
          Michel
          74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
          85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• johnsonic
            258 I6
            • Mar 12, 2015

Rang - I LOVE the hotel room work. AMAZING!
            1984 GW
            Comp 260H
            Harland Sharp Roller Rockers
            Wiseco -21cc Forged Pistons
            Performer Intake
            Holley SA 670
            MSD 8523
            Dakota Digital custom cluster
            Serehill headlamp harness
            NWMP aux tank

1987 GW deceased
            ...but the parts live on

Comment

• letank
              AMC 4 OH! 1
              • Jun 03, 2002

Originally posted by nograin

I got lazy and simply used the ABS Pipe cement that I've had in the house

I like the idea of SEM Colorcoat (for plastic) to paint the exposed white ABS.
              Got lazy too and used the plastic model glue that I had left over from a few light years ago... works well, I had multiple reasons to lean on the pignose and it has not cracked , yet...

Thank you
              Michel
              74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
              85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• Mike D
                350 Buick
                • Jul 29, 2002

if you can

I had my Rhino grill powder coated white at a place that i was working at -- at the time --

Still looks great -- ill try to get a picture posted somewhere to share ...
                64 Wagoneer 283 SBC
                50 truck
                63 J-200 Truck -- help bring home

Please, if you believe in the power of prayer, God and Jesus Christ... I beg you add my relationship with Heather Boyd to be reconciled to a new, stronger than ever, wonderful marriage ... to your prayer list and remember us daily.

Addendum:
                And now that im getting Divorced .. i want to work on it , but no one else does -- ^ -- Heather, please leave your affair with Josh Smith and come back to the father of your children

Comment

Working...
                X