X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Heep-J4000
    350 Buick
    • Feb 09, 2014

The pump in the link fulsizjeep posted is a push pump instead of pull , so it needs to be mounted closest as possible near the fuel tank.
    It's also important to mount it with rubber bushings so it is suspended and isolated for making noise.

This type of fuel pumps are used on the 24 valve Cummins diesel engines to , but it's actually not the best for delivering enough pressure and reliability isn't also the best.

Walbro is a good fuel pump brand for petrol engines
    Don't know how you have the set up of the fuel delivery in the carb!?
    Do you have a fuel pressure regulator?
    Jeep "because mother nature hates flat roads to"

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=180974

99' Dodge ram 2500 4x4 crew cab 5.9 Cummins ,backup work truck for now
    73' Jeep J4000 (named Heep or Desert Dragon) amc 360 V8 converted to LPG with T15/D20 (was my daily work truck for thirteen years and is getting major overhaul at the moment!)
    80' Jeep cj5 350 V8 Chevy/sm420/D300 project
    70/71 Jeep J4000 parts truck with Buick 350

Former vehicles:
    85' Volkswagen caddy mk1 1.6 diesel.
    83 Toyota land cruiser BJ42 3.4 diesel.

Comment

• Crankyolman
      350 Buick
      • Sep 27, 2017

I appreciate the suggestions but I'm fuel injected, not carbureted. If I were still running a carb I'd still be running the mechanical pump. I switched to a Fitech 2 barrel EFI a couple years back so I have to have an electric pump that can produce at least 43PSI I started with a Fitech in tank pump, which failed last July. I switched to a Fitech on frame pump because I wanted to keep the the FI controlling the pump but it was noisy from the first day and has only gotten worse.

So after much research I made the decision to go back to the in tank pump but use a Walbro because they have a good reputation. They also have a reputation for being knocked off and sold on Amazon so I actually ordered it from Walbro to guarantee it is what I think it is. It should be here Wednesday.

So if my math is correct I should be low on gas on Tuesday when my spring vacation starts, I should get the pump on Wed and have it installed shortly after that. Hopefully this pump lasts much longer than the Fitech junk.
      '72 J4500

Comment

• Crankyolman
        350 Buick
        • Sep 27, 2017

I got my new Walbro in tank fuel pump yesterday.

The first thing I noticed is the in tank filter is much finer than the previous Fitech fuel pump had which is a good thing.

So then I went about the tedious process of changing it. Drain the 3 or 4 gallons still in the tank, disconnect everything, drop the tank. Change the connector, connect the pump, put the sending unit back in the tank. Tighten it down. Connect the wires that can't be reached when tank is in position. lift tank into position. Connect the filler and vent hose. realize I forget to connect the line.

Drop the tank again connect fuel line lift tank back up reconnect filler and vent hose. Tighten mounting strap. Discover the grounding wire for the fuel sending unit came off It's redundant but drop tank anyway. Reconnect grounding wire. Reinstall tank, connect filler and vent hose. Tighten everything up. connect hoses and wiring to respective connections and done. Simple as that

When I turned the key on I couldn't hear the pump which got me worried but a quick check of the pressure revealed the pressure was right where it should be so I started it and it ran just fine. Checked for leaks and didn't find any so I think I can call this one done

Hopefully this Walbro pump will last much longer than the previous 2 pumps but I will hang on to the on frame as an emergency backup pump, just in case.
        Last edited by Crankyolman; 04-23-2021, 01:01 PM.
        '72 J4500

Comment

• Heep-J4000
          350 Buick
          • Feb 09, 2014

And how is the new pump setup work for your truck?

73' Jeep J4000 (named Heep or Desert Dragon) amc 360 V8 converted to LPG with T15/D20 (was my daily work truck for thirteen years and is getting major overhaul at the moment!)

Former vehicles:

Comment

• Crankyolman
            350 Buick
            • Sep 27, 2017

Originally posted by Heep-J4000
            And how is the new pump setup work for your truck?
            So far it's great! Nice and quiet, in fact it seems to make the whole truck run quieter. Of course that's probably just my imagination but I'm very happy so far.
            '72 J4500

Comment

• Crankyolman
              350 Buick
              • Sep 27, 2017

Things have been going well for me and the truck lately but of course nothing lasts forever.

This afternoon when I got home I closed the drivers vent window and the latch fell off on the floor

So now it's safety wired closed and I'm in the market for a replacement window.
              '72 J4500

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                Administrator
                • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by Crankyolman
                ... but of course nothing lasts forever.
                Isn't that the truth! I was all stoked because mine was running so good, too, then my speedo lens fell off into the cluster.
                Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                (Cherokee Build Thread)
                11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                  Señor Jackhead
                  • Aug 21, 2002

...then the driver window on my GW fell down in the door. Holy Shyte.
                  Flint
                  Ran when parked.
                  http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
                  88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
                  76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
                  http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• Crankyolman
                    350 Buick
                    • Sep 27, 2017

Last week I received a replacement window from AMC-COMMANDO that is in really nice shape. So during my work week I decided I would change it out.

It seemed like a simple enough job but of course it just can't be that easy now can it?

After much effort I got the old window out and discovered one of the brackets under the window was badly damaged and only had about a half inch of metal left holding it.

It wasn't a particularly difficult repair but it did damage the new paint which needed touched up The touch up didn't go particularly well but it will do for now.

That done I installed the new window

Which looks great but it is slightly darker than the original and the rest of the windows and a slightly different shape.

If you look close you can see that the lower forward part on the old window is pointy

and on the new window it is rounded

I doubt anybody but me will ever notice these differences. Currently I'm trying to decide if it bothers me or not but it's nice to have a functioning wing window again. It's surprising how much of a difference it makes in the summer when you don't have air conditioning but it would also make a difference in the winter too because cracking the wing when the heater or defrost is on noticeably increases it's performance.
                    '72 J4500

Comment

• Crankyolman
                      350 Buick
                      • Sep 27, 2017

Now that I have the replacement window installed I find myself unable to leave well enough alone so today I set about seeing if I can fix the original window.

I would have tried fixing it some time ago but I was afraid I might break the window in the process so didn't want to try before having the new one installed.

So now with nothing to lose I needed to find out if the window would actually come out of the track and to my surprise it come out quite easily and the seal was in surprisingly good shape.

The next step was to remove the pivot pin from the latch. This was a simple case of driving out a roll pin.

and pulling the pivot pin out leaving me with this.

Then I took a good look at the old frame and could see at some point someone had spot welded the pin in previously.

This gave me confidence that my little plan might just work.

So I cleaned everything up and set to work welding the pivot pin back in. That actually went quite well although it may not look like it from this picture.

Next I set to work with a file to clean and smooth the weld then reinstalled the latch.

Followed by the window,

and it's all fixed ...well mostly. I still need to buy a spring washer but I don't think that is really all that necessary.

Now I need to decide if I want to reinstall the old window or leave well enough alone.
                      '72 J4500

Comment

• Crankyolman
                        350 Buick
                        • Sep 27, 2017

It's been a while since I've made any updates here but that's just because as far as the truck goes it's been pretty boring...which is a good thing but I figured I might say a few things about what has been going on lately.

Winter is coming and the rainy season has once again returned to the Pacific Northwest. I've had a ton of stuff on my plate and little time for working on the truck, Mercedes or apples.

Some months ago my wife was diagnosed with cancer and that put just about everything on hold. After many tests and several biopsies it was determined the tumors are benign, which is a good thing but she still needs surgery to remove the tumors. Unfortunately the hospitals around here decided that all "Unnecessary" Surgeries needed to be postponed and because the tumors are benign they classified her surgery and non essential even though they are causing significant other problems.

Then one day she started having symptoms of a stroke which scared the hell out of us and caused a visit to the ER which didn't find anything significant. The symptoms went away after several hours and the doctors came up with a lot of different possibilities. She is still going through tests but they have yet to find anything significant. I have to wonder if it was in some way linked to the fact that it was almost exactly 3 weeks after receiving the 2nd pfizer shot. Doing lots of research I found some studies burred in the depths of the internet where there have been some cases of stroke like symptoms associated with the various vaccines but you'll never get a doctor in this country to link the two, although they will admit that some people have suffered from something called Bells Palsy which shows up 3 weeks after getting the 2nd pfizer shot. I have to wonder if this was some version of that but currently it looks like the doctors are either going to blame a migraine, even though she has had migraines before and none ever led to stroke like symptoms or they are going to say it was caused by the medicines she is taking due to the tumors. The later would move her up the surgery list and we might get her fixed by the end of the year.

Then since we have finally met our ridiculously high insurance deductible we decided it's a good time for me to have my heart checked out since I've had heart problems for 20 years now and have put off going to the doctor about it. I'm also still going through tests and unlike 20 years ago they don't seem designed to try to kill me to figure out what the problem is.

This all put me way behind on working on the house and the little things I want to do to the truck and apples.

Apples have actually been very problematic this year. The late spring and early summer weather did a huge number on the quality of the early and mid season apples but the late season apples seem to have managed to work out OK. I discovered a new tree in the yard of a vacant house I pass on my way home from work and I have been stealing apples off it for a couple weeks now. It's a massive low tree so uncared for the heavily overloaded branches touch the ground and look more like a weeping willow than an apple. It's green apples are small, sweet and low acid which I think will make them perfect for iced cider so I have been making quick raids every so often on my way home from work. I drive up, jump out, fill a bucket with apples and can be gone in under a minute and a half...if the neighbors don't spot me and come up and talk to me about the truck. I guess that's one of the good and bad things about driving a truck so many people didn't even know was produced and so many others haven't seen in decades. I've been processing them at work on the weekends between the ever increasing chaos. I would estimate that tree produced 1,000 lbs of apples this year. I have only picked 150-200 lbs of them and you can't even tell I've picked any at all.

I've also been picking from other trees I have permission to pick. I currently have 10 buckets of apples on my front porch and estimate there are another 5-10 worth just on the trees I have permission to pick, not that I will have time to pick that many. We hope to make pie filling with some and even though she says she won't my wife can't help but make apple butter with some of them. Some will hopefully be turned into iced cider and some just hard cider or just sweet cider and I hope to send a few off to someone so they can try apples from the most desirable apple area of the country, although this year the apples have not been their best.

I can't help myself, I'm driven to pick and process free apples no matter how busy I am with other stuff. So currently my most expensive apple equipment (the truck) has all the rest of my processing stuff in the back.

As far as the truck goes, like I said, not much going on, the other day I began noticing the sign behind me where I make my first turn wasn't reflecting my brake lights so I checked them and sure enough the brake light switch had failed again. I don't know why they can't make one that lasts more than a year but this is my 3rd one in 2 years but at least it's a quick easy fix and I finally found a use for the 31/32 socket I've had since the mid 80s. It turns out that is the perfect size for one of these brake light switches. 1" is too big and 15/16 is too small. Other than that and a very small water leak between the timing cover and the block the truck has been pretty reliable and boring, just the way I like it.

I did notice something one morning when I did my morning walk around and took what I think is a pretty cool picture
                        '72 J4500

Comment

• Crankyolman
                          350 Buick
                          • Sep 27, 2017

I'm in the process of one last end of season push to make apple cider. I began chopping and pressing today but before I did I took this picture showing all the apples I've picked over the last month or so. It amounted to 13 buckets or so, which is a little over 300 lbs. Some will go to pie filling and whats left should be right at 20 gallons of cider.

'72 J4500

Comment

• Heep-J4000
                            350 Buick
                            • Feb 09, 2014

Looking fresh and fruity there Cranky!

Former vehicles:

Comment

• Crankyolman
                              350 Buick
                              • Sep 27, 2017

Originally posted by Heep-J4000
                              Looking fresh and fruity there Cranky!
                              All but 2 buckets of those apples have now been turned into 22 gallons of apple juice that will soon be hard apple cider
                              '72 J4500

Comment

• chubbinius
                                258 I6
                                • Oct 31, 2018

Originally posted by Crankyolman
                                All but 2 buckets of those apples have now been turned into 22 gallons of apple juice that will soon be hard apple cider
                                Yum! That will make the winter months more cheery!
                                1970 1414X Wagoneer "The Pig"
                                -Dauntless 350 V8
                                -D27 front/D44 rear
                                2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD

Comment

Working...
                                X