• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brynjminjones
    258 I6
    • Jun 11, 2017

Kick Panel Template

The kick panels in my 1991 GW have been missing since I've bought it; I'm guessing they were ruined by the leaking windshield.

I'd like to get some replacements but can't really justify spending the cost of shipping from the US, so I'm thinking about cutting out my own.

Does anybody have some kind of template or drawing I could use as a guide?
    1991 Grand Wagoneer - Hunter Green. All stock. Rebuilt 360, .030" over with Melling MTA-1 cam.

1998 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0
    1997 Grand Cherokee (ZJ) 4.0
    1974 Ford F100 390
  • MysticRob
    350 Buick
    • Nov 26, 2019

Do what the pros do and make one out of paper of light board material, then trace it onto a sheet of ABS or whatever material you're going to use. Make it slightly bigger than the area so you can trim it down to proper size.
    --Rob--
    1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer / Baltic Blue & Tan

My build thread:
    https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...er-restoration

My Howell TBI Install How-To:
    https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...rb-e-o-d-452-2

Comment

• Brynjminjones
      258 I6
      • Jun 11, 2017

Good idea, thanks!
      I've also realised that TGW have a good 2d view of the shape, so if I can take a couple of reference measurements I should be able to trace it out.
      1991 Grand Wagoneer - Hunter Green. All stock. Rebuilt 360, .030" over with Melling MTA-1 cam.

1998 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0
      1974 Ford F100 390

Comment

• SOLSAKS
        304 AMC
        • Jul 25, 2016

BJones,....

I had gotten the ABS kick panels from MIB on the forum,...

decided not to use them

I used carpet instead.

not best idea for some situations.

but for mine,... ok.

as u know the rugged material takes more abuse and easier to clean.

let us know how you end up doing it.

dave in nc
        SOLSAKS - dave
        1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
        1982 J-10 Fleetside
        1988 grand wagoneer
        2004 RUBICON jeep
        Benson, NC

Comment

• SJTD
          304 AMC
          • Apr 26, 2012

I wasn't impressed with the factory painted cardboard stuffed under a sheet metal bracket. More lipstick.

I figgered to use whatever material I have the door done with, some padding and tuck it under the door seal and carpet.

Don't forget to remove the air vents down there and clean the leaves out.
          Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• MysticRob
            350 Buick
            • Nov 26, 2019

BTW, BJ's kick panels are pretty decent @ $34.90 for the pair.
            I bought the black plastic ones with the grain and had to trim them down some to fit correctly, and drill the holes for the hood release.

What's shipping across the pond cost you?
            --Rob--
            1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer / Baltic Blue & Tan

My build thread:
            https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...er-restoration

My Howell TBI Install How-To:
            https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...rb-e-o-d-452-2

Comment

• letank
              AMC 4 OH! 1
              • Jun 03, 2002

Originally posted by Brynjminjones
              The kick panels in my 1991 GW have been missing since I've bought it; I'm guessing they were ruined by the leaking windshield.

I'd like to get some replacements but can't really justify spending the cost of shipping from the US, so I'm thinking about cutting out my own.

Does anybody have some kind of template or drawing I could use as a guide?
              I can post a pict with some measurements, I have both sides out of the cab, sitting in the paper template bin.... You need the layout for the fresh air vent.

I can probably scan it, and send you or post the scanned document as a pdf...
              Michel
              74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
              85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• Tripwire
                AMC 4 OH! 1
                • Jul 30, 2000

yes get ahold of MIB, im sure he would be willing to trace out his plastic inserts on a piece of paper and mail them to you - he is a good guy
                Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• letank
                  AMC 4 OH! 1
                  • Jun 03, 2002

kick panel

the panel is longer than a regular scanner:

here are 2 scans pasted with measurements in inch

the left side is missing the bottom part, but has the holes for the emergency brake or parking brake fix points, of course on the other side of the pond, the parking brake is somewhere else...

Michel
                  74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
                  85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• Honchov8
                    232 I6
                    • Jul 09, 2010

FSJ kick panels

I used a close cell foam craft sheet (so it won't absorb water) to make mine. I had purchased a set of the ABS Kick Panels from BJ's and I wasn't impressed with them but I did use them as a template. I then went to Joanna fabrics and purchased a few thin black closed cell foam sheets and traced the kick panel outlines on them. I then simply cut out the close cell foam with scissors. The foam is very easy to work with as its' pliable and tucks into the bottom retaining bracket easily. They've been in the truck for over 3 years now without issue.
                    1976 J10 Honcho "Z" code

Comment

• Cliff
                      350 Buick
                      • Mar 30, 2002

I just painted mine. I ground off the tabs and smoothed it with a little bondo. Cleaned out the vent area, cleaned up a little surface rust, and painted the kick panels with Rustoleum Royal Blue, which is a great match to my blue interior. Applied the paint with a 2" foam roller. Looks great!
                      Cliff Danley
                      1977 Cherokee S

Comment

• Brynjminjones
                        258 I6
                        • Jun 11, 2017

Sorry it's taken me so long to see this, thank you everybody for the great ideas.
                        I will get down to the local craft store when I can to see what material I can get my hands on.

Letank, thank you so much for the scans and dimensions. The product page on TGW has a very good template, so I will hopefully be able to apply your dimensions to that and scale accordingly. I really appreciate the effort!

When I give it a go I will report back here

1998 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0
                        1974 Ford F100 390

Comment

• Brynjminjones
                          258 I6
                          • Jun 11, 2017

As a long overdue update on this, I've finally made some progress.

I created a template using the product image from TGW's page (https://teamgrandwagoneer.com/kick-p...gw-1963-1991/), then combined that with the dimensions very kindly provided above by Michel.

I printed it out on paper for a test fit, then I'm going to cut it out of some cheap foamboard which I will either paint or wrap in vinyl.

The test fit looks good so far! Not perfect, but I will tweak it to get it just right.

Kick Panel Template by Brynjaminjones, on Flickr

1998 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0
                          1974 Ford F100 390

Comment

• Brynjminjones
                            258 I6
                            • Jun 11, 2017

I managed to get this finished this weekend, and I'm really happy with the results!

It's far for perfect, and I will remake them when I find a better material, but for GBP15 and a couple of hours, I don't think the result is too bad.

I printed out my template (like in my post above) then cut it out of foamboard. I had to trim it down quite a bit, because it has no flexibility to slot it into place.

I then wrapped it in vinyl and installed.

The vinyl isn't a great match, but will do for now. The foamboard itself was a little too thick, so I had to trim the edges to make them thinner.
                            I managed to crease them in a couple of places whilst installing, and I doubt they'll be very durable, but they look better than nothing.

Here are the results:

Kick Panel - Driver by Brynjaminjones, on Flickr

Kick Panel - Passenger by Brynjaminjones, on Flickr

1998 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0
                            1974 Ford F100 390

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                              Administrator
                              • Oct 31, 2016

SHARP looking!!!
                              Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                              (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                              (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                              79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                              (Cherokee Build Thread)
                              11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                              09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                              00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

Working...
                              X