• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KaiserMan
    I got the Willys....
    • Jun 21, 2005

Setting up the 63 to plow

I've been setting up my 63 to plow this winter. I used the original Meyers frame, head gear and Monarch pump. Added in a pair of good used Jeep light mounts (can't remember who I got them from on here, but thanks!), an NOS Deitz light kit, a spare FIsher 2 cable joystick (added a Meyers knob to it for good measure) and a Fisher power angle spool valve. I've had a Meyers P-angle spool valve for a while, but with it's push-pull rods I didn't have anywhere to locate it (without it being in the way of removing my dipstick and oil filter).

I did use the Meyers juction block down on the head gear though. That is from a 67 J2000 I found at a local junkyard. Originally Meyers ran one QD off it. Leaving one hose on the truck and one on the plow. I plumbed mine up so both hoses stay on the plow. I scored a very nice (no rot, pits or dents in the moldboard) Meyers ST7.5 power angle blade. It needs a cutting edge but has new uh...sticks (whatever they are called on the ends of the blade!), both skids and a fresh(crappy) coat of Safety yellow. Only paid $152.50 for it on the bay.

I still need to make a bracket to move the pump about 1/2" forward and find a new place for my horn.

Thomas Russell
    1987 Cherokee Laredo 2-Door 4.0/AW4
    1971 Gladiator
    J2000 Platform-Stake Dump 350/T18

1970 Gladiator J3000 3407Z Camper Truck 350/T18
    1968 Wagoneer Custom 327/TH400

• Mikel
    • Aug 09, 2000

Nice! I hope it doesn't get too exposed to the salt on the roads
    1969 M715 6x6
    1963 J300 Swivel frame

Comment

• red mistress
      304 AMC
      • Sep 13, 2007

No rust ?

Thom as always

I don't know the first thing about snow plows.... but 63 looks like it's all set to earn its keep.

tire chains?

which bed is going to stay on the 63 ?
      67 Gladiator 15K J3000 AMC 327, PTO, 35" BFG's
      69 Jeepster 8701 convertible
      80 Honcho Sportside
      82 CJ-8 75K org SR decals
      82 Cheroeke Laredo 24K
      83 CJ-8 50K 401, ARB60's, F&R Winch, 38"
      84 CJ-7 38K Garnet Int., Jeep 8274 winch
      84 CJ-8 mud Scrambler
      87 J 20 36K smooth alum camper & boat rack.

Comment

• Gambler68
        Rabble Rouser
        • Feb 29, 2004

Frame reinforcement comes to mind
        1979 Chero S "Sundog" 1979 Chero S "Hammer"
        1968 327 J3000 1978 J10SWB
        The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
        Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• KaiserMan
          I got the Willys....
          • Jun 21, 2005

It's not going to see much road salt, I'm just going to be doing my driveway with it. The most salt it will see is when I push snow across the street into a ditch.

That rust free Thriftside bed is on to stay (excpet for when I remove it to put the lift frame under it).

I don't tihnk frame reinforcements are needed. I've always heard they have weak front frames, but this has plowed all it's life (well, from 63-75 when it was parked anyway) and I don't see any evidence of frame damage.

My cousin came over and gave me a hand getting the blade out fro the 71. I need to move the mounting tabs in to fit the Jeep plow frame and run some falt stock from under the mount to the A-frame to reinforce the area.

Scored a Fisher style juction at the junk yard today. It's just a flat plate the two QD ends clip into, probably won't use it. But, it does have my 1/4" QD dust covers I need, so those will be going on tomorrow.

I'm also heading to Fleet Pride for some new u-bolts. I'm going to add a couple of leaves to the spring packs. This one still has the stock 6 leaf packs. Every other Jeep I've seen with a facotry plow has two AAL's. I think they where dealer added, and this being an early production truck it didn't get them when the plow was added.
          Thomas Russell
          1971 Gladiator

Comment

• KaiserMan
            I got the Willys....
            • Jun 21, 2005

Bought, cleaned and installed a 60's vintage Signal Stat 4 lense (single bulb) rotating beacon. I'm into it for about $40 now. Loud, but it works nice and looks good. It's switched on by a toggle mounted in a Ford 4-way flasher toggle switch bracket.

I've got a cutting edge and bolt kit on order, so all I need to do is make a loner bracket to slide my pump forward, and move the mount points on the plow in to 17.5" on center.

Thomas Russell
            1971 Gladiator

Comment

• Rob z
              350 Buick
              • May 05, 2005

Nice set up. I love plowing
              89 Grand Rottweiler shuttle

Comment

• KaiserMan
                I got the Willys....
                • Jun 21, 2005

Yeah it's fun as long as all I'm doing is my own place. Not sure how much I'd like it if I was going to start plowing for a living. That might get old. Wouldn't be doing it in the 63 either. Manual steering would get to be a pita real fast.
                Thomas Russell
                1971 Gladiator

Comment

• twisted frame
                  350 Buick
                  • Apr 01, 2003

Nice! You've got a great jump on things by getting this stuff all set way before the snow flies. Great job getting all those parts together. The beacon is perfect.
                  Mike
                  1973 J4000, 360 2bbl, T18, Model 20,
                  44, 60-2, 32x11.5x15" on 15x8" CJ wagon wheels.
                  Now in black primer.

Comment

• drlocke
                    Roadside Mechanic
                    • Dec 29, 2003

Thanks a lot for reminding me of snow right now...

But aside from that nice job, Thom!

If you're running a straight pipe exhaust just bear in mind that with some fuel systems such a vehicle can be cussid to start on cold mornings without the back pressure. It will pop and fart, but wear the battery down before it ever takes off....AMHIK...

Comment

• drlocke
                      Roadside Mechanic
                      • Dec 29, 2003

Originally posted by KaiserMan
                      Yeah it's fun as long as all I'm doing is my own place. Not sure how much I'd like it if I was going to start plowing for a living. That might get old. Wouldn't be doing it in the 63 either. Manual steering would get to be a pita real fast.
                      Try steering a '59 FC-170 with armstrong gear. That is a J.O.B.--job! I haven't got any straight answers through web-surfing, but one source has the 226 Continental L6 weighing in at 1500lbs! I highly doubt it weighs that much, but it is certainly apt to be heavy. And the weight to bear on the axle is something else--especially with the plow out front.

You might wanna consider R&R upgrade to boosted steering.

The other thing about snow removal for income--as said by a wise--and unfortunately late--mechanic friend of mine--is that at least half of your cash intake needs to go in the glovebox for repairs, and any remainder to beans, butter and baby shoes....

Comment

• drlocke
                        Roadside Mechanic
                        • Dec 29, 2003

Originally posted by Rob z
                        Nice set up. I love plowing
                        Well--assuming you are talking about snow removal--I hope you love it as much as I hate it. That way you'll be the happiest camper on Earth.

Comment

• mrtazwrench
                          AMC 4 OH! 1
                          • Nov 10, 2001

Originally posted by Gambler68
                          Frame reinforcement comes to mind
                          The last two I had my plow on had frame trouble, but it was in other end of the trucks from rust.

I have been doing some work on my 82 J20 plow truck, just some maintence issues left after an RnR of the seats and some floor patching.

My plow setup is very simmilar, full hyd was a factory dodge unit, runs off of a power steering pump with a can for extra fluid cut into the left fender, the origonal pump quit and grabbed a pump off of an 82 cherokee.

I like those cables on your control, I have 2 knobs with rods going to the valves under hood.

I have those dietz lights also, thinking of getting an extra set if the place on the bay still has them as I have broken the plastic park/turn lamps the 2 years I've had them on, had to have them since I swapped in a razor grille.
                          Last edited by mrtazwrench; 01-03-2010, 10:36 AM.
                          Chad
                          "Let's see that Red Blue Green **** sucker build one of these without duct taping it together!"
                          https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3&l=76427b95fd
                          88Wag
                          87J20 Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
                          83Cherokee WT
                          82J20
                          Parts vehicles: 1.5 Wags, 3.5 J20's, 1 J10 1 J300

Comment

• KaiserMan
                            I got the Willys....
                            • Jun 21, 2005

The 63 originally had the rods (well rod as it was only power up) coming through the dash. I wasnted to use that style spool valve, bubt just didn't have the room for the control rods after adding power brakes.

The Fisher joystick is much nicer though. Much more precise and very easy to adjust.
                            Thomas Russell
                            1971 Gladiator

Comment

• Gambler68
                              Rabble Rouser
                              • Feb 29, 2004

Originally posted by KaiserMan

Still it may be worth setting up agreements with a couple neighbors close by (granted you talk to them) to plow em out. One good season would pay for the truck. I think it'd do fine if you got to it before the snow got too thick or icy. That thing would ROCK out here with the powder we get. though with my Cherokee and 33" MTs, 2 feet of snow=a parking spot

Funny..growing up in NE CT, all the construction guys would hang to the tools up in fall and plow all winter. Got bad there before I left New England with the slew of back to back light winters. Not sure what it's been like since I moved away in 1999..
                              1979 Chero S "Sundog" 1979 Chero S "Hammer"
                              1968 327 J3000 1978 J10SWB
                              The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
                              Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

Working...
                              X