• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gambler68
    Rabble Rouser
    • Feb 29, 2004

Easy (hopefully) 327 Questions

Was going to buy some little stuff for the engine while waiting for the starter to arrive. Can anyone reccomend a good: voltage coil? Flamethrower, generic, voltage range? Figured a little extra spark couldnt hurt anything. Also, to save me much grime, what oil filter fits this engine? And whats the oil capacity?
    1979 Chero S "Sundog" 1979 Chero S "Hammer"
    1968 327 J3000 1978 J10SWB
    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
    Hunter S. Thompson .

• Elliott
    Cowboy Up
    • Jun 22, 2002

5qts w/filter change. Mine always fired fine in Anchorage at -25* with the stock coil and a 900CCA DieHard, a hotter coil might actually cause quicker wear on your points.
    Don't know what the filter # is, a chart at NAPA should tell you.
    *** I am collecting pics and info on any factory Jeep Dually trucks from the J-Series at the new Jeep Dually Registry.
    ***I can set you up with hydroboost for your brakes: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Comment

• beloth
      350 Buick
      • Jun 06, 2003

the same filter that fits the amc 360 fits the 327.
      fram PH11 is the one needed.

found this out one day reading the filter book at the zone...gotta love those times when nothing to do [img]smile.gif[/img]
      1966 wag "JENNY" w/1973 drivetrain
      330K miles w/360 V8 2bbl (HEI installed ), flowmaster muffler
      TH400 /Dana 20 transfer case D30 /D44 w/ 3.73's LT235/75/R15 AT tires. lift shackles in frt. 2 in lft; w/ TAD's Dozer bumpers! Cost $700 -now total cost=?

Comment

• Gambler68
        Rabble Rouser
        • Feb 29, 2004

Originally posted by beloth:
        the same filter that fits the amc 360 fits the 327.
        fram PH11 is the one needed.

found this out one day reading the filter book at the zone...gotta love those times when nothing to do [img]smile.gif[/img]
        hehe, cool, thanks alot.
        The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
        Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• Gambler68
          Rabble Rouser
          • Feb 29, 2004

Originally posted by Elliott:
          5qts w/filter change. Mine always fired fine in Anchorage at -25* with the stock coil and a 900CCA DieHard, a hotter coil might actually cause quicker wear on your points.
          Don't know what the filter # is, a chart at NAPA should tell you.
          5 qts? Awesome. I wanted to see if there was a points conversion kit for this distrib..I have NO idea on how to adjudst or maintence them..actually, i think I recall the PO (young mechanic) saying he err..'fixed' them in place, so they wouldnt need much attention for quite a while. I dont know what he meant, but..
          Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• Elliott
            Cowboy Up
            • Jun 22, 2002

Points are simple, they sit on a plate with one screw to loosent the plate. There is a lobe on the distributor shaft (pull the rotor to see it) and that lobe engages with one half of the points.

Turn the engine by hand until the lobe moves to the point where the points are open the greatest distance.
            Check the gap with a wire feeler gauge .016"
            Loosen the screw in the points to adjust.
            If there is a buildup on the points then remove them to replace or file it flat.
            A hot coil can cause the points to weld shut, out of adjustment points can also cause them to weld shut.
            These aren't any harder to take care of then your spark plugs, just be sure when you tighten the screw back down that the points haven't slipped.
            *** I am collecting pics and info on any factory Jeep Dually trucks from the J-Series at the new Jeep Dually Registry.
            ***I can set you up with hydroboost for your brakes: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Comment

Working...
            X