• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rambling_rebel
    232 I6
    • Jul 03, 2004

direction

here goes again (I hit a wrong key and lost my post)

I know its been talked about in many posts here, but I have a specific question about I6-v8 conversion.

vehicle = '82 j10 Honcho, short box stepside
    engine 360

I know about the tranny moving forward and longer driveshafts (I have a set out of a j20)

I know about the wiring harness and exhaust (both are going in new)

question is about the engine mount "horns", my I6 honcho has the horns welded on the frame, as did the '85 GW I just parted and scrapped

I went to my home town and theres a '76 j10 shortbox quietly becoming a rust turd (not there yet, but will be soon) and the front clip is off and its v8 horns are bolted on

questions

1 - why the mix of Bolted vs welded

2 - are these bolted on "horns" relatively easy to find?

and an opinion

I have NOS front and rear bumpers, I am in the middle of a colour change to "Hunter Green", I was thinking about colour-keying the bumpers and rollbar to match the hunter green (currently front is chrome and back is white both with factory stickers still on them )

the vehicle is

360 with decent healthy cam +offenhauser 2x4 with twin carter 525carbs
    3" suspension lift
    M/T rims and goodyear ATS 33"
    Gladiator front grill setup
    auto with stock conv. (for now)
    front dana 44 rear amc20 (ratios unknown)
    GW leather power interior

intended use = tooling around town, towing AMX to drags, the odd trip down the 1/4 mile and maybe the dd 4x4g with daughter and her tj

thanks
    RR

ps. anyone know a source for class 5 trailer hitches for FSJ's?
  • jaber
    Dragin Az
    • Oct 17, 2003

I honestly dont have an answer on the mount thing. I'm doing the opposite so if you dont have plans for the I-6 horns, I'd be interested in them.

I would also be interested in seeing pics. If you dont already, get a Photobucket acct and it'll let you post them in your threads. theres a good sticky at the top of the general discussion page. Sounds like a nice ride. One day I hope to have a Javelin or AMX to pull behind mine. I have a friend here that has a 9 second AMX, I love seeing it and would like to see yours as well.
    Jeff

'43 cj2a
    '51 Willys p/u
    '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
    '68 Panel Delivery
    '74 CJ5
    '75 J-20 Wrecker
    '75 J-20 Cummins service bed
    '77 J-10 p/u
    '79 Cherokee
    '88 Grand Wagoneer
    '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

• rambling_rebel
      232 I6
      • Jul 03, 2004

Direction

Thanks for the reply Jaber, sure, I'll have no use for the i6 "horns, heck I have no use for the engine that came out of it, I only run v8's. and this is some funky rare serpentine i6 they apparantly had in '82 to boot.

I'll post pics shortly, one of my daughters messed up my digital cam, probably dropped it in the mud when she went mudding

as for my AMX, it was the hunter green g pak car featured on Dream Car garage's 7-car musclecar shootout a few years back on speed....

it's been approx. 35deg F up here the last few days with thunderstorms (the truck is out in the driveway so doing the lift would be easier, stoopid me, junk sits inside and all my nice stuff sits outside)

Comment

• tgreese
        • May 29, 2003

All the mounts I've seen have been bolted and welded. Some may be riveted and welded. I think that if you look closely at the J-truck that there will be a bead of weld along with the bolts. That is, unless the mounts are from somebody's previous swap-in.
        Tim Reese
        Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
        Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
        Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
        GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
        ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• rambling_rebel
          232 I6
          • Jul 03, 2004

thanks tgreese, I'll go double-check today or tomorrow, with the fleet-side shortbox, I just saw the bolts and thought "hhmm, bolted on" I didn't think to check for welds, and on my stepside I just saw welds and thought "****, now I have to remember how to stick-weld" and never looked further

RR

Comment

• rambling_rebel
            232 I6
            • Jul 03, 2004

I just checked the stepside, you are correct, they seem to be bolted to the side of the frame by two bolts and welded across the top of the frame, I'll check the fleetside tomorrow.

are decent v8 ones easy to come across?

Comment

• jaber
              Dragin Az
              • Oct 17, 2003

If you cant find a decent set let me know and I'll cut a set off for you.
              Jeff

'43 cj2a
              '51 Willys p/u
              '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
              '68 Panel Delivery
              '74 CJ5
              '75 J-20 Wrecker
              '75 J-20 Cummins service bed
              '77 J-10 p/u
              '79 Cherokee
              '88 Grand Wagoneer
              '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

• rambling_rebel
                232 I6
                • Jul 03, 2004

thanks for the offer, I will be measuring up the stepside tomorrow and taking pics, and then I will be at the fleetside on Friday and will do the same there.

I'm more an AMC guy than a jeep guy, but you wouldn't know it by looking in my shop or driveway. 5 jeeps + 4 amc's and my best pal of 35 years owns the local AMC (dodge)/ Jeep dealership and its been in his family since 1945, he just doesn't remember a whole lot about the FSJ stuff.....

thanks you guys for your assist

Randy

Comment

Working...
                X