X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick1224
    232 I6
    • Jun 05, 2002

Got her out on the highway today. Cruises at a little over 2k doing about 65-70. I hardly ever revved it past 2k driving around in the city.

Decided to make sure the tranny was working and went WOT. Down shifted fine and boy does she sound like a hotrod. 3" hooker maxflow. Scared some girl next to the road.

The beauty of OBD2: It threw a code for high IAT circuit. I openned the hood and looked at the connector, and sure enough the pin was dislodged. Fixed! I also use a bluetooth reader and my Droid to watch as many gauges as I want. The app is called Torque...for free!
    88 GW...6.0/4l80e/241c swap. Just finishing loose ends. Old MSII TBI wasted spark for sale.

Comment

• j20owner
      258 I6
      • Jan 11, 2003

The app is free, the little blue tooth plug usually goes for around $50, right?
      Where is my axle?
      79 j20/84 GW GM Hybrid

Comment

• grand_wag_85
        Murphy's Law Poster Child
        • Dec 03, 2003

Do you have enough miles on her yet to have any MPG #'s?
        You know it's bad when your car's on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

'82 J10
        '88 GW
        '77 J10 Golden Eagle 401

Comment

• Nick1224
          232 I6
          • Jun 05, 2002

Yeah, you need the ELM327/OBD2 bluetooth adapter. I've seen them in the $30 range, but my dad lent me this one!

No mileage numbers. I guess I could go and fill it and see later this week. The thing can live under 2krpms all day. Really don't need to rev it. Did 80 mph and it's just above 2k.

Things left to do.

1. Adapt GM fuel level sender to Jeep unit.
          2. Get new bolts for front bumper.
          3. Adjust parking brake.
          4. Keep checking fluid levels like a crazy person!
          88 GW...6.0/4l80e/241c swap. Just finishing loose ends. Old MSII TBI wasted spark for sale.

Comment

• j20owner
            258 I6
            • Jan 11, 2003

What is your axle gearing and tire size? Just curious.
            Where is my axle?
            79 j20/84 GW GM Hybrid

Comment

• PlasticBoob
              All Makes Combined
              • Jun 30, 2003

Originally posted by Nick1224
              I hardly ever revved it past 2k driving around in the city.
              Sounds like my 401! I'm at about 280+hp and 400+ft-lbs though.
              Rob
              1974 Cherokee S, fuel injected 401, Trans-am Red, Aussie locker 'out back'
              Click for video

Comment

• Nick1224
                232 I6
                • Jun 05, 2002

I have the stock 331s (towing package) and OEM sized tires...for now.

I love the 401! Would have gone that route, but I wanted the OD tranny and the OEM aluminum heads was nice. My wife said " are sure this engine is OK, it doesn't sound like it's revving".

Thanks for chiming in guys!

Now, maybe a little midnight run is in order

Comment

• Nick1224
                  232 I6
                  • Jun 05, 2002

Soooo....drove it to Key West two weekends ago. Mostly speeds between 35-80, avg at about 60. Did 298 miles on 14.6 gallons. Id say that pretty good! Did find out that my new fuel sender doesn't quite reach the bottom of the tank, and I'll have to address that sometime, but not a priority when I can go 300 miles!

Gears are too low, or it's not holding gear for long enough. Good for mileage, but the thing hardly ever goes over 2krpms unless you mash the throttle...then it goes. My wife was stunned when we passed someone at 95 and the Jeep just wanted to keep going. No lack of power or torque.

Knock sensors were rusted out and need to be replaced. There is a TSB about this and requires putting a dam of RTV to keep water out of the rear knock sensor. I put antiseize all over as well to help protect it. Also cleaned out the intake runners that were full of gunk. Seems to run a bit better.

Last weekend we moved to ABQ. Decided to put the Jeep behind the Budget truck. Just wasn't sure about a 2000 mile trip after only 400 miles of trial. Love it here. No I just have to wait 3 months for our house/garage.

My dad got to drive it after the move. He bought it in 88. STill can't get over just turning the key to start it. I think he likes the power too.

Things to do:
                  Finish dash - long term
                  Exhaust gaskets - blew the copper RTV, going to try a gasket
                  Parking brake - wait till house and access to a weler

Comment

• billyrb
                    BJ's Off-Road
                    • Aug 15, 2001

20.4mpg is awesome! Especially with a 6.0
                    BJ's Off-Road
                    [email protected]
                    Your source for '63-'91 FSJ Parts

Comment

• Nick1224
                      232 I6
                      • Jun 05, 2002

To be fair, I was just cruising along without much stopping. call that highway mpgs.

So looks like the 727 and 4l80e have almost the same ratios (+OD for the 4l80e). I believe the np241c is 2.7:1. What was the np229?

Comment

• JeepinPete
                        304 AMC
                        • Dec 09, 2003

2.63 if memory serves me.

20 mpg is better than I ever got out of my 5.3L. But 35" tires probably didn't help matters.
                        Pete

'55 Willys Wagon, the original FSJ
                        Sitting on a '77 Cherokee frame, Dodge D60's
                        Isuzu 6BD1, NV4500, NP241

Comment

• Nick1224
                          232 I6
                          • Jun 05, 2002

Sooo.....2.5" secondaries did not fit so well. They got "self-clearanced". I think it's fine, just a little dent. My Jeep is at stock ride hieght, with the bump stops extended an inch. Maybe a lift would help things?

Up to 700 miles! Still getting good gas mileage.

Comment

• Nick1224
                            232 I6
                            • Jun 05, 2002

No problem ABQ emission! 6.0L with a highflow cat.

Comment

• Nick1224
                              232 I6
                              • Jun 05, 2002

Well, she's got 7500+ miles on her and I love it everyday. Cruising at 80mph is like nothing. Been getting more like 17mpg since I'm doing more city driving. Power is fun to say the least.

Well I'm working at the Veterans Affairs hospital and someone decided they like my stereo and subwoofer, smashed the small rear door window, bent the seat trying to get the subwoofer out, and destroyed the dash. They might have got the guy on video, and it is a federal offense since it was on federal facility (so they say). Poor Jeep

How do I replace that rear window? Is it like the front vent window? replace the track w/ window? Good thing is there is a junkyard here with a GW in it.

So pissed off

Comment

• babywag
                                out of order
                                • Jun 08, 2005

Bummer on the theft, the small window is fairly easy to replace.

IIRC the big window needs to come out to allow removal of the little one.

You disconnect the track from the bottom of the big window.
                                Then it drops down(one side of the glass has a rounded corner?) that allows tilting it and removing it from the track in the door.

The little window has a frame around it that is the rear track for the big window.
                                Remove the screws in the top door frame, and nuts holding it into lower portion of door.
                                Tilt it towards the front, and drop down into door, then pull it out/up.
                                The frame around the small window comes apart after removing a couple screws for glass replacement.
                                Tony
                                88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

Working...
                                X