• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RobM
    232 I6
    • Feb 04, 2006

3 Problems, likely related

All,

I have an 88 GW with 2150 carb. I have a couple issues going on that may or may not be related.
    1) When engine is cold and I put in drive or reverse it will stall until warm
    2) After driving I am getting some occasional dieseling
    3) Rarely after driving and trying to restart before the engine is fully cooled, it doesn't want to restart, I can work around this by manually holding the choke open with a screwdriver, then starting it.

So, it is a new rebuilt engine w/about 2K on it and a newly rebuilt 2150 that I believe the mixture screws are correctly tuned based on vacuum tuning procedures in another post. My suspicions are I could need a new electric choke and/or possibly a new anti-deisel solenoid but am not sure on testing those 2. otherwise, perhaps just my idle is too low?

thanks for any ideas!
    Rob
    '88 Grand Wagoneer
  • joe
    • Apr 28, 2000

Before you start tweeking the carb and possibly getting it more out of whack than it may already be put a timing light on and and see what your initial timing is. It may be too far advanced.
    joe
    "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• RobM
      232 I6
      • Feb 04, 2006

thanks Joe - will have a look at that.
      '88 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• RobM
        232 I6
        • Feb 04, 2006

Well, I retarded the timing a little bit, but the truck was warm so will have to wait until the morning to see if this does it. thanks Joe for the advice.
        '88 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• Mark Wilde
          350 Buick
          • Jul 20, 2004

Definitely sounds like a choke problem. Maybe a bad pull-off?
          90 Grand Wagoneer, 401/727/229, TFI upgrade, MC4350 4V, Edelbrock Performer cam, All-Aluminum Radiator, Razor Conversion, 4" Rusty's all-spring, 31x10.50 BFG TA/KO's...much planned, little time/money, thus she's a PipeDream!

Comment

• Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
            Cherokee Outlaw
            • Jan 10, 2006

The dieseling and no hot start problem sounds like your timing is too far adavnced.
            -Jonny B.
            1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
            7" Alcan springs, BJ's HD shackles - 35x12.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains
            AMC 401 - Pro-Flo 4 EFI
            NV4500/NWF BB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
            F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
            R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
            1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
            1979 Wagoneer - Sold
            1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Comment

You have an idle kicker kinda anti-dieseling doo-dad on the side of the carb. It should be getting 12V with the key on. You should be able to turn the key on and bump the throttle with your thumb and it should hold it open some until the key is turned off. Your choke should not be closed on a warm engine.
              Mark B. Jones

Originally posted by GrandWag&Prix
              Actually, now that I think about it, that could be either awesome or really terrible.

'79 Cherokee Chief "Junaluska"

Comment

• RobM
                232 I6
                • Feb 04, 2006

I retarded the timing just a little bit and it seems to have done the trick. The truck doesn't stall any more when first going into gear. The other 2 problems were very intermittent so will want to wait a little while before declaring victory.

thank you everyone for the ideas.
                '88 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

Working...
                X