• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • babywag
    out of order
    • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by will e
    Just to make sure we are on the same page. 3 and 5 are the two middle cyls on the driver side. Correct?

If 1 holds it is on the compression stroke, 3 and 5 could be in the late/early stages of intake stroke respectivly. What you really need to do is rotate the assembly by hand while you do this test and see if each cyl 'stops' leaking at some point. The second option would be to loosen all of the valve rockers so that every valve is closed.

for reference -firing order:18436572 < this is a note to myself if I post up later.
    He removed all the rocker arms already...

I removed the headers, valve covers, and rockers and put the rubber tipped air gun against the spark plug hole. On 3 and 5 the air came up through the carb, nothing came through the oil filler or dipstick. #1 holds. Didnt check the other 5 yet. Shot a video and will send it to S&J tomorrow. Thinking this means I at least have trouble in the head. But it doesn't mean I don't have trouble in the block too.
    Tony
    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• FSJunkie
      The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
      • Jan 09, 2011

Bosch warns to not gap their multi-electrode fancy pants pocket-picker snake oil plugs.

I don't like those things.
      '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• mdill
        Gone. Not Forgotten.
        • Nov 22, 2000

Originally posted by babywag
        This is probably similar to what you're going to see...
        A fresh rebuilt 360 that PO obviously had some detonation issues.

OUCH !!!
        -----------------------------------------
        Home of ADHD project list

1977 J-10 Honcho 360-T15-D20
        1977 Cherokee WT 360-Th400-NP241 true-trac(s)
        1979 Cherokee 4 Door 258-T-18-D20
        1981 Cherokee Chief WT 360-727-NP208
        1972 K20 Suburban 350 SM465 205
        And the other stuff that gets driven
        ----------------------------------------

Comment

• kevinp661
          232 I6
          • Nov 19, 2009

Yep, 3 and 5 are middle two, driver. And yeah, as Baby Wag said, I emoved the rockers so all valves are closed.

S&J told me to go ahead and pull the heads and see what's under there. I have to rebuild the carb and adjust valves on my Karmann Ghia tonight, so the Wagon will have to wait until tomorrow night.

Thanks again, everyone. This forum is full of so many helpful members. I really appreciate all of the input.

Originally posted by will e
          Just to make sure we are on the same page. 3 and 5 are the two middle cyls on the driver side. Correct?

If 1 holds it is on the compression stroke, 3 and 5 could be in the late/early stages of intake stroke respectivly. What you really need to do is rotate the assembly by hand while you do this test and see if each cyl 'stops' leaking at some point. The second option would be to loosen all of the valve rockers so that every valve is closed.

for reference -firing order:18436572 < this is a note to myself if I post up later.
          Bakersfield, CA
          1990 Resto Mod Grand Wagoneer, S&J long block, stock intake and carb, Proform HEI, Elgin RV cam, Doug Thorley long tube headers, Magnaflow 3" cat, 3" Flowmaster 40, Nations 170 amp alt, Rough Country 3" lift, BJ's brake lines, Katzkins leather seats, 1200 Watt/12 speaker Soundstream audio system, sunroof.

Comment

• PlasticBoob
            All Makes Combined
            • Jun 30, 2003

Originally posted by FSJunkie
            Bosch warns to not gap their multi-electrode fancy pants pocket-picker snake oil plugs.
            ROFL!

I heard years ago to NEVER use them on domestic and especially old domestic V8s. I ran Platinum +4s in my Suzuki Samurai for years with zero issues. My friend was impressed and decided to try them on his '96 JGC 5.2. Not even 200 miles after his mechanic installed them (in the middle of the desert, at night, on the way to Las Vegas) did they completely fail, with a flashing check engine light and major misfires. I don't remember the details but I *think* his mechanic found that they were all banged up as well. There was no engine damage though? He did eventually have it rebuilt, but for completely different reasons.
            Rob
            1974 Cherokee S, fuel injected 401, Trans-am Red, Aussie locker 'out back'
            Click for video

Comment

Working...
            X