• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lkmarsh
    350 Buick
    • Nov 21, 2008

Advance Auto worth visiting?

The Pep Boys in my town is bailing out of retail but keeping the service bays open. The retail store is supposed to be handed over to Advance Auto.

Any reason to get excited about this? Is AA any better than AZ and O'Reilly's?
    Lyle

Seemed like a good idea at the time...
    69 1414x Wagoneer 350/TH400 DD & Ski Ride
    68 Chevelle wagon 350/BWT50
    68 Impala wagon 327/400
    73 Cougar droptop 351C/FMX Garage Queen
    04 Impala LS - Wife's DD
    73 Wagoneer parts donor

Same junk, different box. All depends on people behind the counter.

But they're fun to screw with when I need a laugh. That goes for all of them.
    Art
    ASE Master Collision Tech
    "Beast" - 81 "S" W/T, 85-360, T-18, Lock-rite,wag alloys, 31-10.50 Pro Comp MT's, Warn 8274 in a fabbed bumper/deer strainer(tested and approved)

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.

Comment

• inkedmonkey
      258 I6
      • Feb 12, 2021

Around here Advance is better than Autozone but not as good as Oriellys.

Comment

• fulsizjeep
        Señor Jackhead
        • Aug 21, 2002

Yeah, yeah, but what is the banana scale?
        Flint
        Ran when parked.
        http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
        88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
        76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
        http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

Out here, a lot of the Advance stores were Carquest stores when Advance bought them up.
          Art
          ASE Master Collision Tech
          "Beast" - 81 "S" W/T, 85-360, T-18, Lock-rite,wag alloys, 31-10.50 Pro Comp MT's, Warn 8274 in a fabbed bumper/deer strainer(tested and approved)

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.

Comment

• inkedmonkey
            258 I6
            • Feb 12, 2021

I just walked into the Advance Auto near me and walked out with a torque converter for my 77. Only $80. I was surprised that they had one on hand.

Comment

• FleetFox
              258 I6
              • Apr 04, 2018

I have traditionally leaned towards NAPA, but the quality of some of their parts has drifted into the same range as everyone else, while many of the prices have not. I have begun using Advance more and more in recent years, but for the simple reason that their warehouse/ dist center for our region is only a few miles away. The have a small retail storefront there. They are often open until midnight at that location and the guys working the counter tend to be gear heads.

Having said that, I refuse to answer the "year make and model" question and just go in with part numbers when I can. Anywhere. I swear though, 8 times out of 10 when I'm in there there's some guy on the phone looking for some bizarre part for an Altima...

Fleet Fox

Comment

• inkedmonkey
                258 I6
                • Feb 12, 2021

Oh yeah, bringing in the part number is a must everywhere around here.

Comment

• Bob Barry
                  Jeep Doctor
                  • Apr 09, 2000

My local parts-store is an Advance. They are good if you get the name brands from them. They won't have everything, so sometimes I have to go to NAPA or O'Reilly's; only rarely will I have to go to Autozone to get something Advance doesn't have.

One thing I like is ordering parts through their online system, as there is usually a discount code for 15%-35% off that you enter in the checkout. Then, I just go in to the store and pick up the parts without having to deal with the parts-counter looking for what I need.
                  1987 J-20
                  Video projects for my J-20 on Youtube

Comment

Working...
                  X