X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • devildog80
    327 Rambler
    • Apr 13, 2022

But that is why I like the older trucks like ours.......I get to fiddle with it all the time

Get FI and I won't be needed anymore. My tools will be lonely
    '81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift

'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), MC2150 HA Comp, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift

Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified

Comment

• sierrablue
      327 Rambler
      • Jan 24, 2022

With a daily driver you get to work on it all of the time anyway I don't know; I just personally don't like fixing the same problem over and over again.
      DD:
      '71 Wagoneer
      B350/TH400/D20
      open knuckle D44 front
      http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...79#post1734879

Project:
      December 1962 Panel Delivery 4x4, Stock
      Pulled out of the woods in July 2023--hey, it rolls now https://forums.ifsja.org/core/images/smilies/tongue.png
      https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...29#post2476527

Previous Rig:
      Tan '88 Grand Wagoneer
      .060 over 401, TBI, headers
      http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...77#post1734777

Comment

• devildog80
        327 Rambler
        • Apr 13, 2022

Never a problem to fix, when it is just spending time keeping up the maintenance, as would be needed no matter what fuel system we use.

FI is not without fault as an add on, and I would rather have the carb I understand to fiddle with, then try to figure out a computer for my fuel delivery :/
        '81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift

'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), MC2150 HA Comp, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift

Comment

• sierrablue
          327 Rambler
          • Jan 24, 2022

I can understand that; I just like that with the fuel injection, if you let it sit for years, then the injectors might get plugged up, but once you get it right, you can pretty much let it sit, and all you need to do to get it running again is drop a battery in it. The '88 sat for like 7 years, then when we went to start it the first time it wouldn't start. We came back the next weekend after it sat, and the fresh gas had eaten through whatever was on the injectors, and it fired right up. Then it sat for another 8 months or so, and when we went to move it in January 2021, I dropped a battery in it and it fired right up, at 10 degrees.

So while I understand carbs and can understand why people prefer them, I am never going to argue that a carb is better unless the FI setup is not right. Just my .02 and a little bit of experience to back it up. Now on the other hand, the '70s F100 that we have has had a carb forever, and we can still make it start when it's -20, and it's pretty low maintenance, even when it sits most of the time, so I think it's mostly just that whatever you have, you have to get it right and then it'll do well.
          DD:
          '71 Wagoneer
          B350/TH400/D20
          open knuckle D44 front

Project:
          Pulled out of the woods in July 2023--hey, it rolls now https://forums.ifsja.org/core/images/smilies/tongue.png

Previous Rig:
          Tan '88 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• rang-a-stang
            Administrator
            • Oct 31, 2016

I like EFI for the aforementioned no choke, no warm up, etc. It's also REALLY nice having self diagnostics. Engine is running rough? Is it a bad plug? A vacuum leak? old cap? Water in it? EFI will usually tell you.
            Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
            (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
            79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
            (Cherokee Build Thread)
            11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
            09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
            00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• sierrablue
              327 Rambler
              • Jan 24, 2022

Yep.

Just did the math, and at the national average for fuel costs, it's cheaper to drive a '96-'04 Mustang Cobra (which requires premium), and you can drive it hard (which will bring you down to like 20 mpg or so, with a max of about 27), than one of these rigs running regular gasoline at about 15 mpg or so...the Cobra will save you about $3/60 miles, which will add up in a hurry. Now, they will not get you all of the same places, sure, but they're similar in price and all...this is just crazy.

That said, if 20 mpg on premium is significantly cheaper than 15 mpg on regular, getting these things up into the upper teens for mileage might actually save you more than most Jeep guys would lead you to believe...not saying it justifies dropping $10k on the "right" parts but it's certainly becoming more of a consideration.
              DD:
              '71 Wagoneer
              B350/TH400/D20
              open knuckle D44 front

Project:

Previous Rig:
              Tan '88 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• devildog80
                327 Rambler
                • Apr 13, 2022

At $10k invested, , just for a few mpg better, you would need to drive it a lot of miles to see the return.
                Drive it like you stole it and have fun

Comment

• babywag
                  out of order
                  • Jun 08, 2005

pfft...mpg haha
                  over decades of real world driving multiple fsj(s)
                  tbi pays for itself in probably a year even less if go used gm stuff.
                  minimal gain on fwy but around town/city driving ~30% increase in mpg.
                  and if you actually daily drive one of these things a modern engine swap is the way to go and it won't take decades to pay ya back.

complain all ya want about piss poor mpg on a fsj it is what it is.
                  try driving around a procharged srt8 in CA daily with premium well over $6/gal.
                  still gets better mileage than any jeep I have ever owned
                  Tony
                  88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• sierrablue
                    327 Rambler
                    • Jan 24, 2022

Originally posted by babywag
                    pfft...mpg haha
                    over decades of real world driving multiple fsj(s)
                    tbi pays for itself in probably a year even less if go used gm stuff.
                    minimal gain on fwy but around town/city driving ~30% increase in mpg.
                    and if you actually daily drive one of these things a modern engine swap is the way to go and it won't take decades to pay ya back.

complain all ya want about piss poor mpg on a fsj it is what it is.
                    try driving around a procharged srt8 in CA daily with premium well over $6/gal.
                    still gets better mileage than any jeep I have ever owned
                    I wasn't suggesting that everybody go out and buy a late '90s, early '00s sports/muscle/sporty car. I realize that the aerodynamics on these things is just plain bad, and there's not much that can be done about it without completely reworking the whole thing. But just last summer year, if you drove a car that required premium but got 22 mpg regularly, it was still cheaper for the summer to drive the Jeep on 87. When the cars get put away for the winter, they don't make up any ground on mileage because you're not driving them anyway.

I'm not complaining about the mileage these things get--if you ask me, any combustion car gets bad mileage, it's just a matter of how bad. I was merely obseriving how much prices have changed things even since last summer.
                    DD:
                    '71 Wagoneer
                    B350/TH400/D20
                    open knuckle D44 front

Project:

Previous Rig:
                    Tan '88 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• '89_Wagon
                      232 I6
                      • Jan 01, 2019

I think we all need to come to terms with the fact that our FSJs are just bad financial decisions all around.

Who would like to share next?
                      '89 Grand Wagoneer
                      AW4 Swap

Comment

• '89_Wagon
                        232 I6
                        • Jan 01, 2019

I think we all need to come to terms with the fact that our FSJs are just bad financial decisions all around.

'89 Grand Wagoneer
                        AW4 Swap

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                          Administrator
                          • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by '89_Wagon

Facts. If you buy a FSJ to make/save money, you are in for a rough day.
                          Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                          (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                          79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                          (Cherokee Build Thread)
                          11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                          09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                          00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• devildog80
                            327 Rambler
                            • Apr 13, 2022

My Jeeps are cheaper than a doctor bill, and pills they want to shove down your throat, just to maintain sanity in today's mucky world :/

One of my better financial decisions.

I will continue with Jeep therapy....thank you!

Comment

• babywag
                              out of order
                              • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by sierrablue
                              I wasn't suggesting that everybody go out and buy a late '90s, early '00s sports/muscle/sporty car. I realize that the aerodynamics on these things is just plain bad, and there's not much that can be done about it without completely reworking the whole thing. But just last summer year, if you drove a car that required premium but got 22 mpg regularly, it was still cheaper for the summer to drive the Jeep on 87. When the cars get put away for the winter, they don't make up any ground on mileage because you're not driving them anyway.

I'm not complaining about the mileage these things get--if you ask me, any combustion car gets bad mileage, it's just a matter of how bad. I was merely obseriving how much prices have changed things even since last summer.
                              premium gas was $4 whenni bought my srt8
                              today it's like $6.50
                              even regular 87 is over $6 in CA
                              don't matter what ya drive my point was more a dig @current admin that has beyond ed the general population over in a VERY short term.

a paid for FSJ is still betond cheap to drive vs. a new vehicle gas/electric if crunch #s

young dude local convenience store perfect example.
                              he sold his paid for 350z cuz gas was "too expensive"
                              bought a new tesla, told him it wasn't gonna save him a dime.
                              he now realizes what i meant.
                              he now has a car payment + full coverage ins. payment + has to pay to charge it.
                              he is spending MORE(lots) to do same than with his old gas guzzler lmao

you can spend $ or attempt ridiculous driving habits to save a few pennies with a FSJ
                              or just realize that it's paid for and cheaper to drive than 90% vehicles other folks drive already.
                              Last edited by babywag; 06-06-2022, 07:20 PM.
                              Tony
                              88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• '89_Wagon
                                232 I6
                                • Jan 01, 2019

I love Jeep therapy! Only a little less than a doctor's bill but much better value.

It's far more enjoyable to drive one of our rigs and if I'm going to pay for transportation anyways, might as well put that money towards something I think is worth keeping on the road.
                                '89 Grand Wagoneer
                                AW4 Swap

Comment

Working...
                                X