• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mrtazwrench
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Nov 10, 2001

Fuel economy

Seems silly to post about FSJ's and fuel economy, but with the trend in fuel prices I'm looking to do what I can to get what I can for fuel mileage out of my truck before I start driving it for the season. Its an 87 J20 360 stock except for Edelbrock intake, street demon 625 carb, HEI dizzy, manifolds, Y-pipe performance muffler, 3.73 gears and soon to have 315/75/16 tires(almost 35's at 34.6"). Right now with 265 tires I get 10 MPG. Right now I would maybe change carbs, someday I might do EFI but not yet. Open to whatever setups have resulted in the best fuel mileage.
    Chad
    "Let's see that Red Blue Green **** sucker build one of these without duct taping it together!"
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3&l=76427b95fd
    88Wag
    87J20 Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
    83Cherokee WT
    82J20
    Parts vehicles: 1.5 Wags, 3.5 J20's, 1 J10 1 J300
  • MysticRob
    350 Buick
    • Nov 26, 2019

You're pretty much in line with EPA estimates, and EFI won't net you much unless you're running badly now, which doesn't sound like a problem.

The engine, transmission, gearing, and weight is the biggest detriment to these beasts. If you're stockish, then you're on a 3-speed transmission and boat-anchor iron block. Going to an AW4 will be slightly better than a stock 3-speed auto, but unless you spend a lot of cash doing an LS swap with a much better transmission, you're going to be pretty screwed.

Car and Driver magazine had an article years ago about how each added gear in modern transmissions increased MPGs somewhere around 8-12% for each of those added gears, but don't quote me on that.
    Last edited by MysticRob; 03-12-2022, 12:34 PM.
    --Rob--
    1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer / Baltic Blue & Tan

My build thread:
    https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...er-restoration

My Howell TBI Install How-To:
    https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...rb-e-o-d-452-2

Comment

• '89_Wagon
      232 I6
      • Jan 01, 2019

Best bang for the buck ways to gas... good tire pressure, conservative driving style, good alignment, and a well tuned engine.

FWIW, I did a 4 speed conversion + EFI on my AMC 360 GW on stock tires and suspension and those changes netted about 2-3 MPG. So I end up getting 16-17 MPG on longer trips but still terrible gas mileage doing errands. I did these changes with reliability and drivability in mind, knowing I would never get my money back on gas savings.

Here's my little rant... It's hard to justify major FSJ upgrades/changes on the based solely on $ saved on gas. The dollars spent to save gas money take years to recoup (if ever), all the while those upfront dollars could have spent/invested in something else that would perform better from a money building perspective. I remember in a college course hearing what sounded convincing at the time, how an home investment in solar panels would pay for itself in 7-10 years. Initially, I thought "wow, that makes a lot of sense! Why isn't everyone doing that?' Then, later on in life, I learned a payback time of 7-10 years is terrible. I guess the point I am trying to make is, don't spend dollars trying to save pennies.
      '89 Grand Wagoneer
      AW4 Swap

Comment

• babywag
        out of order
        • Jun 08, 2005

with gearing/tires you have the only thing that would improve it is better transmission swap or modern efi engine+trans swap.

lose any removable weight and drive like a granny may help
        Tony
        88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• mrtazwrench
          AMC 4 OH! 1
          • Nov 10, 2001

Back in the early 90's I had a big block Mopar ended up with a 600 Holley on it and got near 15 MPG, but like the one reply it was on a road trip, anyway I was thinking someone might have a carb combo that did good like that. If this Gear Vendors kit was not $3,100 I'd be game to try one of those even though they are for dodge truck applications. At least it's just a summer toy and not a daily driver.

NP 208 Transfer Case with Fixed Yoke.Replaces 4 1/4″ tailhousing.Light duty trucks with aluminum transfer case.
          Chad
          "Let's see that Red Blue Green **** sucker build one of these without duct taping it together!"
          88Wag
          83Cherokee WT
          82J20

Comment

My 81 wt, 360, all stock, t18, 3.31's, turning 31-10.50's would get me 12 in town and the 10 mile trip to work. 14 on the freeway at 65,just at peak torque.

Think that's where you'll find a sweet spot
            Art
            ASE Master Collision Tech
            "Beast" - 81 "S" W/T, 85-360, T-18, Lock-rite,wag alloys, 31-10.50 Pro Comp MT's, Warn 8274 in a fabbed bumper/deer strainer(tested and approved)

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.

Comment

• mrtazwrench
              AMC 4 OH! 1
              • Nov 10, 2001

Originally posted by goldhammer
              My 81 wt, 360, all stock, t18, 3.31's, turning 31-10.50's would get me 12 in town and the 10 mile trip to work. 14 on the freeway at 65,just at peak torque.

Think that's where you'll find a sweet spot

That might be more apt to happen when I get the new tires on, I did the numbers on spedo correction and found out I better not push 5 MPH over the limit like I'm used to as it will be 5 MPH over with the tire change, so I will be going the same speed at less RPM.
              Chad
              88Wag
              83Cherokee WT
              82J20

Comment

I tended to drive by tach. Once I got over that 2300-2400 rpm spot, mileage took a nosedive off a cliff.

Had a waggy owner ask me at a gas station what I got for mileage, told him. He complained that he only got 10 no matter what. Balanced, blueprinted, carb overhauled and running as lean as he could. Told him, yeah with an AT, bout all you're going to get, mine had a 4 sp. He liked to give me a concussion sticking his head in the window to see. He never knew you could get wags and cherks with a stick.
                Art
                "Beast" - 81 "S" W/T, 85-360, T-18, Lock-rite,wag alloys, 31-10.50 Pro Comp MT's, Warn 8274 in a fabbed bumper/deer strainer(tested and approved)

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Comment

• babywag
                  out of order
                  • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by mrtazwrench
                  That might be more apt to happen when I get the new tires on, I did the numbers on spedo correction and found out I better not push 5 MPH over the limit like I'm used to as it will be 5 MPH over with the tire change, so I will be going the same speed at less RPM.
                  larger/wider tires will kill mpg
                  efi netted me several mpg(3-4) city driving after tuning
                  efi gains maybe 1mpg hwy driving if that
                  the lack of 4spd and zero aerodynamics make these things gas pigs
                  Tony
                  88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• mrtazwrench
                    AMC 4 OH! 1
                    • Nov 10, 2001

I guess I'll get a tach and try Goldhammer's RPM trick, I do have an auto though which won't help.
                    Chad
                    88Wag
                    83Cherokee WT
                    82J20

Comment

• letank
                      AMC 4 OH! 1
                      • Jun 03, 2002

35" tires and 3.73.... better get an early 90's econo box, it will pay itself in 2 to 3K miles... of course in your area, they might already have been devoured by rust.

Yaris, corolla, civic... protege... now the prices are thru the roof... I scored a $500, 265K miles protege last fall for the kids... beside a loose battery cable and worn off tires, it runs.... and stick shift, so no issues w weird auto trans
                      Michel
                      74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
                      85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• tgreese
                        • May 29, 2003

Originally posted by babywag
                        the lack of 4spd and zero aerodynamics make these things gas pigs
                        These old-design automatics are inefficient. They are strong and smooth, but not efficient. I suspect you could get nearly the same improvement from a modern efficient automatic as from a manual transmission.

IMO aerodynamics is the main thing these Jeeps lack for better mileage. This goes along with the big tires and wheels reducing mileage, partly from rolling resistance and partly from a larger profile in the wind. Modern design optimizes every surface and edge in the vehicle for less drag. Also, drag goes like the square of velocity, thus the speed you drive make a big difference in mileage when your vehicle has such poor aerodynamics.
                        Last edited by tgreese; 03-14-2022, 02:10 PM.
                        Tim Reese
                        Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
                        Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
                        Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
                        GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
                        ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• Crankyolman
                          350 Buick
                          • Sep 27, 2017

I think the best solution is to jam a tennis ball under the throttle pedal
                          '72 J4500

Comment

Aero is a cast iron b....

Once brought home a J truck cab on a trailer with around a 30-36 inch deck. 65 miles, got about 5 mpg. Winds not kind that day, fought headwind all the way from Boardman to Portland on I-84.
                            Art

Comment

• rocklaurence

• Jan 14, 2009

Your truck/J20 is almost exactly what I have [same carb/gears/tires]. Except: I may have more lift and Race Shift kit with 2000 stall TC. I get bad fuel mileage--not horrible, just Bad

Comment

Working...
                              X