• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pitracer1
    230 Tornado
    • Jan 10, 2009

Front shackle reversal

i have a 87 grand wagoneer with a front soa lift. was wondering has anyone done a shackle reversal and what does it take to do one? any info or pics would be helpful. thanks.
  • dajeeps
    327 Rambler
    • Jul 19, 2008

welcome to the fourm.if you use the search,you will find what your looking for and them some.
    82 wagoneer dd
    73 j4000 crewcab project

Comment

• Stuka
      • Jan 21, 2001

There are people here who have done it. WHat is your reasoning for wanting to do it? There are a few advantages to having the shackle in back, however there are also some big downsides.

Comment

• El_Diablo
        350 Buick
        • Apr 06, 2009

such as?
        1985 Grand Wagoneer-360/727/229/D44/AMC20

2011 Mazdaspeed 3
        2012 Focus
        2000 Camaro
        1995 Mustang
        2009 GSXR-600

Comment

• billyj7175
          304 AMC
          • Sep 10, 2001

Originally posted by El_Diablo
          such as?
          Pros: Softer ride, tighter turning radius, a larger approach angle.

Cons: Changing pinion angle (usually) requires a cardon joint and a longer slip yoke, with the softer ride comes a tendency to "nose dive" when braking/descending steep hills.
          83 J-10 Jeep "Oscar"
          360/727/229
          4" Rusty's w/33X12.50 BFG AT's

I'll apologize ahead of time...my inner voice has Tourette's...

Comment

• pitracer1
            230 Tornado
            • Jan 10, 2009

i looking in to doing this because i keep bending main springs and just recently broke a spring. and was curious to know if this could be done.

Comment

• fulsizjeep
              Señor Jackhead
              • Aug 21, 2002

I am not familiar with how this one was done but we love the way it flexes. The front drive shaft is a longer than stock and also has longer travel in the yoke.

Flint
              Ran when parked.
              http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
              88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
              76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
              http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• El_Diablo
                350 Buick
                • Apr 06, 2009

biggest off road aid is that on a ledge the axle will tuck under instead of trying to push out.... i would imagine that would help more than the negative effects of going down hill

2011 Mazdaspeed 3
                2012 Focus
                2000 Camaro
                1995 Mustang
                2009 GSXR-600

Comment

• billyj7175
                  304 AMC
                  • Sep 10, 2001

biggest off road aid is that on a ledge the axle will tuck under instead of trying to push out.... i would imagine that would help more than the negative effects of going down hill
                  My only experience with that kind of setup was I had a buddy who ran a shackle reversal on a Samurai (w/YJ springs) that was setup for serious rockcrawling, which is a complete different vehicle and/or intention. He felt as though he lost traction on the front end. His explanation was that when encountering a bump (rock/ledge), the axle will swing rearward, which does allow a more natural flow to absorb the bump, but since it's putting less downforce on the tire, traction is reduced. I'm no engineer, but I did see that in play as he couldn't climb obstacles that he could clear before the shackle reversal.

He had a hard time getting the axle positioned far enough forward to keep the tires from stuffing into the aft part of the fenderwells, not to mention he went through three different front driveshaft configurations before he got it right. After attempting to modify the stock one to work, he just called up Tom Woods' and shelled out the money for a 'good' driveshaft setup.
                  83 J-10 Jeep "Oscar"
                  360/727/229
                  4" Rusty's w/33X12.50 BFG AT's

I'll apologize ahead of time...my inner voice has Tourette's...

Comment

• J20 project
                    304 AMC
                    • Dec 27, 2000

The front suspension is meant to push into the obstruction, not away from it as stated above.

One of the basic purposes of the Hotchkiss front end that our Jeeps have been patterned after.
                    Search for some Hotchkiss suspension stuff on the net. Goes back to the 40's or earlier I believe.
                    J20 project
                    BP Drivetrain...........

Driveshafts for all Jeeps, Constant velocity rebuilds, Replacement, Repair
                    775-537-7918

https://www.facebook.com/BPShafts/

Putting this back up. "Someone is gonna have to crawl under the rig"

Comment

• jtr
                      258 I6
                      • Oct 25, 2005

Originally posted by pitracer1
                      i looking in to doing this because i keep bending main springs and just recently broke a spring. and was curious to know if this could be done.
                      This is because there is more leverage on your springs being spring over. Your Jeep is heavy.
                      Jeep is gone ~~ Ranger cab truck in the works
                      393W/C6/203-205, HP60, 14B, 12 bolt H1s, 40" Pitbull Rockers, full hydro, 4 link rear

Build = http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=973973

Comment

• pitracer1
                        230 Tornado
                        • Jan 10, 2009

Thanks guys,your info has been very helpful. now i just need to figure out which direction i want to go.

Comment

• Stuka
                          • Jan 21, 2001

Yeah, most of what was stated above is spot on, except for the turning radius bit. No clue how that would change.

You will certainly need a drive shaft with a lot more compression, or you risk breaking the t-case when the axle compresses. And if you slam the brakes, the front end will nose dive, which drives me nuts personally.

To help prevent bending front springs, switch to a double military wrap spring. Which will basically double the strength of the main leaf.

Comment

• El_Diablo
                            350 Buick
                            • Apr 06, 2009

it really is to bad that nobody makes a mil wrap stock replacement

2011 Mazdaspeed 3
                            2012 Focus
                            2000 Camaro
                            1995 Mustang
                            2009 GSXR-600

Comment

• rustywagoneers_com
                              304 AMC
                              • Feb 02, 2006

Not sure if I am reading you correctly here. With the shackle in back, as the front axle droops, it moves forward - hence the need for the longer slip in the driveshaft. (Which, IMHO - is the only serious downside to shackle in back). Under compression - the axle would have a tendency to move backward some - depending on the amount of arch in the springs to start with.

When you drive up against a ledge, and load up against it, the shackle in the back rig will tend (from what I have seen, anyway) to let that wheel climb up and forward over the ledge, and then bring the rest of the truck with it.

Maybe we are using different words to say the same thing, but I cannot quite tell.

Anyway, all the other factors aside - the only real downside (as I already stated) to ME, as far as shackle-in-back goes, is the necessity of a longer-slip driveshaft.
                              There is no way to rule innocent men.
                              The only power government has is the power to crack down on criminals.
                              Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them.
                              One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.

Comment

Working...
                              X