International Full Size Jeep Association

International Full Size Jeep Association (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/index.php)
-   General FSJ Tech (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   To Do List for my 1979 Chief (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=188104)

wincher 06-14-2021 11:04 AM

was so happy at saturday afternoon.
tomorrow i had completed the black decal sticker with 3M foil.
sealed the lower fuel hose with 2 clamps (leaking after dismount the hose for the new shock mount )

made a new fuel pressure line (without having inch fittings and hose)
the old was cracked because i have to bend it to outside of steering pump for DUI HEI....)

Chief did the 80 miles round trip to the meeting without problems.
and it was a eye catcher... no other FSJ Model was at the meeting.
(and i saw never a FSJ at the meeting for about 10 years an i am visiting every year!.)

wincher 06-14-2021 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oregonphil
Skyjacker #9005 is the stabilizer I bought. Although I suspect all three of their models my be same internally, same price, just different paint colors to match their shocks as a matching set.
Yes, that one does look generic.
Can not help with the alternator, sorry.

I cant find a skyjacker offer in germany.
with the right ends a steering dampfer for a YJ, XJ, WJ can fit.?
Rancho RS5000
procomp...
i will compare with my nearly new in the WJ

oregonphil 06-14-2021 01:28 PM

Maybe these dimensions will help you find a brand over there that fits.
Skyjacker 9000 Steering Stabilizer Extended Length 23.9 in. Collapsed Length 14.35 in.
Your Jeep looks great there!

rang-a-stang 06-14-2021 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wincher
Alternator works.
by reason of dismounting the ignition module and some wires i have forgotten the wire to S port of the regulator.(ignition switch)

(Had no wire diagramm for that regulator.)

no it works and i have about 14,5 V

Sorry for that stupid post...

Not a stupid post! What a great ending! We are glad you are back on the road quickly!
Quote:

Originally Posted by wincher
was so happy at saturday afternoon.
tomorrow i had completed the black decal sticker with 3M foil.
sealed the lower fuel hose with 2 clamps (leaking after dismount the hose for the new shock mount )

made a new fuel pressure line (without having inch fittings and hose)
the old was cracked because i have to bend it to outside of steering pump for DUI HEI....)

Chief did the 80 miles round trip to the meeting without problems.
and it was a eye catcher... no other FSJ Model was at the meeting.
(and i saw never a FSJ at the meeting for about 10 years an i am visiting every year!.)

Two stories of win! After a long winter of wrenching and spending €€€€€€€€€€€€ it is really nice to hear you getting some great enjoyment out of a great rig!

Your chief looks more burly than that Hummer it's parked next to. HAHAHAHA!!! Usually I would end with 'Merica! but I am nut sure that works is this case!

wincher 06-14-2021 02:09 PM

Yes, it seems the main work is done - for the moment..and the ...to do list... is now shorter:D

no i want to enjoy it..

And after spending that much time and money i dont want to sell it.

I have spend more time with the chief (wrenching,google; posting and the most was communicating with rang) as with my wife

At this point i want to say Thank you very much to the guys who have supported me here in the ifsja forum and most notably to rang a stang.

WITHOUT YOU I WOULD NEVER HAVE MADE IT!!!!

FleetFox 06-16-2021 10:32 PM

Your truck really looks great Wincher!

well done sir.

Maybe reach out to Bilstein on the stabilizer with the specs listed above. I used a Bils for mine, but had to swap the bushings out for smaller inside diameter ones .

Fleet Fox

wincher 06-17-2021 03:03 PM

I have found a bilstein 27572 with the length above.
But a 5/8in Rod? I dont Believe it is Heavy
Fits vor older Mercedes Benz..

wincher 06-17-2021 03:10 PM

Thanks for your words of Praise for my Truck ! :thumbsup:

oregonphil 06-17-2021 08:16 PM

So, the lengths I previously gave were the mfgs. I just went out and measured my 77sj eye to eye/lock to lock. Extended 23.25", collapsed, 14.75". So, giving some fudge factor, those dimensions do work.
I could not find any info/specs for the #27572 you found, other than a site in Germany that sells them, so who knows?
But I did find one on Amazon that looks like it would fit/work, except you might need to either remove the metal bushings (1/2") in the eyes or change out the bushing all together. Do not know the rod diameter but that's not critical.
https://www.amazon.com/Bilstein-33-1...3976643&sr=8-4
If I had not just put in a new Skyjacker, this is what I would do. Oh well, shoulda-coulda-woulda.

Phil

wincher 06-19-2021 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oregonphil
So, the lengths I previously gave were the mfgs. I just went out and measured my 77sj eye to eye/lock to lock. Extended 23.25", collapsed, 14.75". So, giving some fudge factor, those dimensions do work.
I could not find any info/specs for the #27572 you found, other than a site in Germany that sells them, so who knows?
But I did find one on Amazon that looks like it would fit/work, except you might need to either remove the metal bushings (1/2") in the eyes or change out the bushing all together. Do not know the rod diameter but that's not critical.
https://www.amazon.com/Bilstein-33-170794-Monotube-Steering-Damper/dp/B009FU7ELE/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=bilstein+steering+sta bilizer&qid=1623976643&sr=8-4
If I had not just put in a new Skyjacker, this is what I would do. Oh well, shoulda-coulda-woulda.

Phil

this one costs about 160

FleetFox 06-22-2021 09:36 PM

I used the same Bilstein part number that Phil posted, but hat to turn down the inner bushing metal sleeve to get it to fit on the stock mounting brackets. It wasn't fun, but I wanted to match the 4 Bils on the corners.

Fleet Fox

rang-a-stang 06-23-2021 01:46 PM

I didn't care much about mine so I bought a Monroe SC2911 and it was $22 when I bought mine a few years ago. I used a black shock boot to cover the rod, too.

wincher 06-25-2021 09:03 AM

It was a busy week and i had no time to visit a local parts dealer.
The SC2911 is not available in germany too.
i have found this one , availlable in germany too:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cwa-j8129434
https://eshop.rbs-handel.de/de/catal...er-parts/7192/

But it is a crown part.. :(

waste of money or worth trying:confused:

rang-a-stang 06-25-2021 06:12 PM

Personally, I could not tell the difference between no steering damper and a new cheap one. Maybe one of the folks with a nice damper will speak up and say the good ones are really nice but the cheapie made no perceivable difference.

babywag 06-27-2021 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rang-a-stang
Personally, I could not tell the difference between no steering damper and a new cheap one. Maybe one of the folks with a nice damper will speak up and say the good ones are really nice but the cheapie made no perceivable difference.

I couldn't tell a difference cheapo/old stock one/new procomp they all felt the same:confused:

wincher 06-28-2021 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babywag
I couldn't tell a difference cheapo/old stock one/new procomp they all felt the same:confused:

it was my hope the car directs not soooo easily with a better steering stabilizer

The difference was clear after changing it on my grand chrerokee WJ last autumn

my chief drives a litte like in the cars in old black white US-Movies from the 50s. .. left right left right left right... to keep the car straight.. :D

wiley-moeracing 06-28-2021 06:36 PM

A lot of that will be worn parts and misadjusted/ worn out steering box, you really should not need a steering stabilizer if everything is in good shape, more for off road use.

wincher 07-02-2021 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wiley-moeracing
A lot of that will be worn parts and misadjusted/ worn out steering box, you really should not need a steering stabilizer if everything is in good shape, more for off road use.

yes maybe the steering is normal

( I have read the s10 steering box thread)

but the stabilizer is worn out. i have it checked as i put my front springs out..

I had bought a sealing / repair kit for my gear, but after change the pump and hoses is looks like the gear is tight.
I dont wont to put it out (sure not before winter.)
how to adjust the steering box?

Be from Be 07-04-2021 03:32 AM

Hi Wincher,

I bought Skyjacker springs for my FSJ from a company in Poland. Although it was on special order, they delivered them reasonably fast. May be you can take a look on their website: https://offroad-express.com/

Bertrand from Belgium

wincher 08-12-2021 12:55 PM

what is the right color for bjs headliner kit for my interieur.

The new carpet is doskin i think.

See pics at page 17

should i take the doeskin, beige or honey headliner??:confused: