• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DieselSJ
    304 AMC
    • May 19, 2003

My DieselWag update thread V2

Wow, 6 years since an update. No, it isn't running again yet but I have made good progress over the past few months. The project seriously stalled since the last update -

I wanted to start a new thread and cover the current plans and work on the DieselWag. In mid-2010, the injection pump went out. Up to that point, I had put about 60K miles on it. I think I racked up 40K miles in the last 18 months that it was running. I drove it A LOT. Plans were to park it and do some long awaited updates

Now, onto the good stuff...

I got pistons. I don't want to discuss the price. But 18:1 compression, ceramic coated tops and dry film lube on the skirts.

Heads. My old ones were junk. Like total junk scrap. They had some oversize stem valves in it, plus both cracked, and both milled beyond spec. went through 10 sets of used heads and every single one was cracked. So I had to pony up and go for a brand new set of GEP (not Chinese knock-offs...but genuine GEP heads) heads. Again, I don't want to discuss price.

As of this point, it would have been cheaper to find a junk 4bt and build it and swap it in.

I had 4 rods that were junk - either bent or cracked. I had to buy 8 used rods to find 4 good replacements. But now they are shot peened, new pin bushings, new bolts, resized and ready to go. I did get them hung on the pistons last week. They are ready to go into the block.

The blocks. Ugh. So the one that was beautiful ended up having a crack in one of the main webs. So yes, the Navistar blocks crack. The more "used" block had one trashed cylinder that required a sleeve. But deck was good and just needed a quick shave. Crank is currently installed and awaiting rods/pistons. The cracked block is currently in the chassis while I fab up new engine mounts. I *HATED* the AA mounts.

My machinist was amazing. He came over when I was ready to assemble and we measured (with micrometer) all of my oil clearances and we massaged every bearing in the engine to get the same oil clearances on every bearing. That was a tedious day.

Trans - I always had a leak between the tcase adapter and the trans. So when I pulled the junk 229 (more on that later) I found that 3 of the 4 bolts holding the adapter to the trans were stripped out. The trans builder had used some very short inserts on 2 holes and those pulled out. I talked it over with the folks at TimeSert and took some measurements and they sent out an oversize kit to compensate for the trashed "repair" and now I have full length inserts in all 4 holes. I also found a shorter urethane mount that matched the stock rubber mount to eliminate a couple alignment issues I had on things. I used a stock rubber mount during the mock-up on the first build and when I installed the first urethane mount it changed some angles.

T-case - the 208 is rebuilt and installed. New chain, bearings, seals. I pulled the 229 apart and found that I had split the viscous right where the snap ring groove was. I couldn't spin the front output because the snap ring was twisted into the chain. Amazing that I put as many miles as I did and it kept running. Every bearing was junk from the metal shavings that were circulating around.
    -87 Grand, 6.5L diesel, MHI TE06H turbo, Water/air intercooler, Art Carr 700R4, CS-130, hydroboost. 21/24mpg, dead 229 [Custom 242 on the way]
    -99 XJ Limited.
    -Jeepspeed 1717 -Built 4.0, FAST EFI, Rubicon Express, Bilstein, Rigid Industries, 4 Wheel Parts, G2 Axle, Currie Enterprises
    -Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
  • DieselSJ
    304 AMC
    • May 19, 2003

Drive shafts - I never had the front shaft lengthened so it was never installed. I finally got it lengthened. And as the 208 is way shorter than the 229, I also needed to lengthen the rear. The driveshaft shop looked at me funny when I said I needed both lengthened. Going to pick them up today.

Body/interior - old roof rack off and new custom roof rack was mocked up and mounts were tied into the body structure. Rack is now at powder coating. Sheet metal screws in the roof strips were stripped in a couple holes and I had some rust starting. I'm cleaning that up now and will be installing some 10-32 threadserts so no more sheet metal screws to strip.

Old headliner is out. There was zero rust inside on the roof. I'm in process of installing insulation, then new headliner will go it (been in the box since like 2016).

So that's the big stuff. I've cleaned up and fixed dozens of little nagging issues that I had with it.

Pictures to follow...
    -87 Grand, 6.5L diesel, MHI TE06H turbo, Water/air intercooler, Art Carr 700R4, CS-130, hydroboost. 21/24mpg, dead 229 [Custom 242 on the way]
    -99 XJ Limited.
    -Jeepspeed 1717 -Built 4.0, FAST EFI, Rubicon Express, Bilstein, Rigid Industries, 4 Wheel Parts, G2 Axle, Currie Enterprises

Comment

• DieselSJ
      304 AMC
      • May 19, 2003

The original 6.5 was supposed to be a "low mileage factory take-out". Well, it was a horribly rebuilt piece of junk. I am shocked it lasted for as long as it

did. And I'm glad I decided to track down the noise.

Tearing it out and tear down.

Dad (RIP) and oldest daughter helping.

New slugs

The sleeving process to fix the bad cylinder

Final hone with a torque plate.
      Last edited by DieselSJ; 05-05-2022, 10:22 AM.
      -99 XJ Limited.

Comment

• DieselSJ
        304 AMC
        • May 19, 2003

Freshly machined and cleaned and ready to go.

No one makes a kit for main studs for this engine. Trial and error on fitting some ARP studs.

Final set of studs

Caps all torqued into place to measure bearing clearances. Everything done with mics. We massaged each bearing shell so that clearances were in the middle of the spec on every journal.

Rods were treated same as the mains.

Checking crank end play. Happy with 0.004.

Measuring deck height so I can order proper thickness head gaskets.

Oil galley in the pump and main cap were horrible with sharp edges and casting flash. So I spent a few minutes cleaning it up and radius-ing the bends,

This is why it all gets mocked up and inspected. The additional height of the nut on the stud was contacting the oil pump, so some clearancing was needed.

Spare block mocked up in the chassis. I *hated* the Advance Adapters mounts for multiple reasons (one being interference with steering shaft) so I'm going to fab up some new mounts with a crossmember.
        -99 XJ Limited.

Comment

• DieselSJ
          304 AMC
          • May 19, 2003

Transfer case time.

The VERY first time I got onto the freeway after swapping in the diesel I managed to blow apart the viscous in the 229. I drove it for 60k+ miles that way. I've had a 208 traveling around with me since that time and I finally got around to pulling the 229 and rebuilding and installing the 208.

If I had to do this all over again, I would forego the AA tcase adapter and just run a GM tcase.

I always had a leak between the tcase and trans. I found that 3 of the 4 holes for the tcase adapter were stripped. 2 had threadserts already installed, but they were short (10mm). All 4 holes got full length inserts.

Also, the tcase adapter for the 700R4 was designed for the 231 which has a shorter input snout than the 229 and 208 so I never ran the intermediate seal between the tcase and trans. Since I had it all apart I was able to get a seal installed at a proper depth to make it all work.

Busted viscous.

208 cleaned and ready for assembly.

208 guts

New chain, new bearings, new seals...

208 all ready to go. Ignore the broken switch for the 4wd indicator. New one is on order.

Back of the 700R4. 3 of the holes were trash.

This is where the seal needs to sit to use the 231 to 700R4 adapter with a 208. I did use some Permatex to glue it into place.

-99 XJ Limited.

Comment

• DieselSJ
            304 AMC
            • May 19, 2003

Rockers, timing gears, pump drive gears.

Everything got sent out for a dry film lube coating. The rockers were trash so these were all scrapped and new ones were purchased and sent out for coating.

Parts after coating.
            -99 XJ Limited.

Comment

• devildog80
              327 Rambler
              • Apr 13, 2022

Very nice project

Close by in AJ, so maybe will get to see it in person some day
              '81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift

'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), MC2150 HA Comp, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift

Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified

Comment

Working...
              X