International Full Size Jeep Association

International Full Size Jeep Association (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/index.php)
-   General FSJ Tech (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   sportside rear bumper (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=171581)

rambling_rebel 08-14-2014 03:27 PM

sportside rear bumper

haven't been on in a while, but finally making some progress on my project. A bit all over the map, but one of the items I'm trying to put to rest is the rear bumper. I bought a white NOS one of evilbay about 8-10 years ago, had a local steel company do me up brackets based on the brackets that were on the custom rear bumper the P.O. did...brackets bolt onto the frame exactly they way they should, they bolt to the bumper the way they should, but the brackets "attached" to the inside of the bumper where it bolts up is 6" (3" per side) too narrow. bumper fits the stepside body properly so my only thought is the bracket that was on there between the frame and bumper was incorrect.

so short story made long, does anyone have a picture they can show me of what the bracket the joins the frame to the bumper on an '1982 sportside looks like? I don't seem to be able to find it in the TSM or parts manual, might be there, just not seeing it

thanks
rr

TexasJ10 08-14-2014 07:08 PM

I put a chrome bumper from a scrambler on on my step side and the stock mounting brackets were about 3" per side wider than the mounting points on the bumper. I just put spacers in to make up the difference. I wonder if you ended up with a scrambler bumper as well.

rambling_rebel 08-14-2014 09:40 PM

yuppers, that's exactly what I am dealing with, and exactly what I was thinking of doing to solve the problem.

is that a trailer hitch I see there or are my eyes deceiving me?
I haven't thought about a class3/5 hitch yet, was wondering how to go about that other than "just build it"

rr

TexasJ10 08-15-2014 12:52 AM

You have good eyes. I found a couple of them for my j20 and j10 many years ago when you could still find them. They were sold through uhaul. I think they are right up there with finding a sport side bumper and end caps on the unobtanium scale now.

serehill 08-15-2014 07:53 AM

Yeppers

I had the same 3" problem & I cut mine & moved it over.

2003 Tacoma bumper great fit I really like the way it looks.

rambling_rebel 08-15-2014 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasJ10
You have good eyes. I found a couple of them for my j20 and j10 many years ago when you could still find them. They were sold through uhaul. I think they are right up there with finding a sport side bumper and end caps on the unobtanium scale now.

I figure if I can convince someone to take a couple of decent pics of the hitch (hint, hint), theres a really good welding shop here that could replicate it for me if I can't.

I was never good at an "original; thought"

I can't see me towing with this, but always nice to have the option

rr

rambling_rebel 08-15-2014 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by serehill
I had the same 3" problem & I cut mine & moved it over.

2003 Tacoma bumper great fit I really like the way it looks.

well, your picture is a bit depressing....I had two different style taillights on mine when I bought it, one looked like a cj tail light, and the other like a tractor trailer taillight.....

looking at your taillights has me wondering..

this is what I'm futz'g with when I want a break from life

TexasJ10 08-15-2014 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rambling_rebel
I figure if I can convince someone to take a couple of decent pics of the hitch (hint, hint), theres a really good welding shop here that could replicate it for me if I can't.

I was never good at an "original; thought"

I can't see me towing with this, but always nice to have the option

rr

I love the gladiator grill!

I think the hard part with hitch fabrication is the slight angle of the frame at the very back. Welding a wedge there would probably work well. A while back someone on here made five or six hitches for j trucks, but the price was way more than most wanted to pay. ($500 )

Carnuck 08-15-2014 02:10 PM

This was the hitch from my '73 J4000. It had a spare tank above it.