Heater Core Replacement
Contributed By: Bill Kelsey
- Disconnect the cable from the negative battery terminal.
- Drain the cooling system.
- Disconnect the heater hoses fron the heater core and plug
the open fittings.
- Use diagonal pliars to remove the spring clip fron the
mode-door cable end. Remove the mounting screw and
disconnect the cable from the mode door.
- Remove the two NUTS retaining the left side of the heater
housing to the firewall, then remove the two NUTS from the
studs inside the vehicle, under the right side of the dash.
Remove the heater-core/housing assembly from the engine
- Remove the two screws and separate the two halves of the
heater housing, exposing the heater core.
- Remove the heater core from the housing, noting the
location of the sealing material. If the sealing material is
in good condition, save it for reuse.
Installation is the reverse of removal.
This is from section 13 in chapter 3 ("Cooling, heating and
air conditioning systems") in the Haynes manual "Jeep Wagoneer
& Pickup 1972 thru 1991"; the manual includes six photos to
illustrate the heater core removal from a GW.)
'79 widetrack Cherokee "S"