International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Diesel Swaps

Old 03-04-2009, 03:40 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Chevy Diesel w/ 700R4 update - 2year/25K miles

Well in a few days it will be exactly 2 years since the DieselWag got registered and went into service as my daily driver. I have just over 25,000 miles on the swap.

The swap has been one of the best modifications that I have ever done to a vehicle. To remind everyone - I used a 6.5l GM turbodiesel backed by a 700R4 trans, adapted to the stock 229 tcase. I used engine mounts and tcase adapter from Advance. At the same time I installed a hydroboost (also an awesome modification) and upgraded the charging system so that I could use the CS-130 alternator that was stock on the diesel engine.

To date, my overall mileage is just over 22mpg. My best tank was just a hair over 25, with more than a few at 24+. Worst tank so far was just over 18, which was mostly short trips taking kids back and forth to school, plus about a hundred miles pulling a 5x8 trailer loaded with 3 dirtbikes. My typical tank is just over 22mpg.

Problems have been very few. Within a day of getting it running I managed to blow the viscous apart in the 229. I changed the oil a few times and it is still in there, while a 208 waiting to be rebuilt sits on my garage floor. The 229 failed while getting onto the freeway. I guess I found the torque limit of that tcase. Then, about 2 weeks ago the lockup in my torque converter started slipping. I think that is my own fault though for just letting the converter lock as soon as it shifted into 4th gear - someone told me that low rpm lockup was hard on the converter and that it would eventually fry the clutch, which apparantly it has. That gives me an excuse to drop in one of the new diesel converters from TCI which is supposed to put even more torque to the ground.

Oh, I also did lose a power steering line, which cascaded into a much bigger failure. Turns out that those stainless braided high pressure teflon hoses are not as tough as the inner fender on a FSJ. The braid rubbed through, causing the inner teflon tube to bubble out like an aneurism and fail. This was low speed in a parking lot. When I cranked the steering wheel to turn, the Grant steering wheel adapter failed and I lost all steering. I replaced the line and now have everything secure and protected so no more rubbing. Grant sent a new adapter at no charge - the new one is much heavier than the old.

I have not made much other progress on the project. I did add some sound/heat damping and that made a HUGE difference in the noise level inside the vehicle. We can carry on a conversation without yelling. I have had typical window tape failures, over this time all 4 power window units have come out, been thoroughly cleaned and lubricated (using Sylglide - no more grease) and I think the windows work better than they did when they were new. I also changed out the power steering pump/reservoir - I was using a pump with a remote tank and had to custom fab a line from the tank to the pump and it always leaked and made a mess. I went to a late-90's pump with the integrated tank (larger tank and 2 return lines made specifically for the diesel/hydroboost application) and it cleaned things up under the hood.

My next two big projects for it are to get the 208 installed and to get the A/C installed - I have gone through 2 summers here with no A/C and I'm not going through a 3rd. Getting the windows tinted is also on the agenda. Smaller items related to the swap are to install an airbox from a Dmax and eliminate the generic cone shaped hot air sucking filter, and swap the Hummer intake for one from a truck and redo the piping between the turbo and intake.

Overall I am very happy with the install. There really isn't anything that I would do differently next time. Maybe a different turbo - like an HX-35 from a Dodge truck - instead of this MHI unit. But I have not played with the exhaust wheel yet so the turbo is still open for discussion. Plus I know that I am way under-tuned on the fuel as my last opacity test came back at 3% (I'm allowed up to 20%) and more fuel will make the turbo respond better.

I also have an electric fan that I may install, though I have ZERO cooling issues with a stock fan and no shroud. I have idled through 115 degree temps sitting in gridlock traffic and the temp sits right at 195 (has 195 tstats in it). I have even purposely tried to overheat it on a couple nice grades (I-10 east of Indio, and 62 from Palm Springs up into the high desert) - both times it was well over 100 degrees out and I just mashed the skinny pedal and pushed it as hard as I could. Dang thing just kept accelerating and the temp got up to about 210 at which point I could hear the fan clutch engage (fan sounded like a jet) and it never got any hotter than that no matter how much harder I pushed. I'm really just considering the efan just as part of the A/C install to help things work better in city driving.

That is about all I have to report. I fires up and runs whenever I hit the key. And I still get the occasional person at a gas station say "Hey, did you realize that you are putting diesel into that?"
-Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
Old 03-04-2009, 09:13 PM
Dragin Az

THANK YOU for the update. I'm still watching for my donor, but have to finish a couple other projects first.

46 cj2a

51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service bed
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/
Old 03-04-2009, 09:26 PM
Master Mechanic

Far Out!
Old 03-04-2009, 10:38 PM

Glad to hear it is working for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambler68
congrats...that's the first post on here I have absolutely no effing clue how to comment on.

How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.
Robert A. Heinlein
The birth of CROM is recorded here
http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=7778
Old 03-05-2009, 02:02 AM
327 Rambler

A diesel swap sounds better all the time. I'm doing it on the next project. But then I'll need a third Jeep for the Cadillac 500. **** the luck.

77 Cherokee 4 door
Old 03-05-2009, 07:56 AM
Gone,But not Forgotten.

Well dang, reading this really makes me want to follow suit and get my 4BT in the truck. Thanks for sharing!!
Old 03-05-2009, 08:37 AM

Great update!

It seems like you have used roughly 1000 gallons less fuel (guessing that you got about 12mpg before the swap). I'd guess between 2-3K so far compared to the old 360.

Probably hasn't paid for itself yet literally. But if you are like me, it paid for itself on the its maiden voyage around the block in sheer joy.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:15 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

thats great news maybe my next project wil be diesel !
Old 03-05-2009, 10:17 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

A couple questions for you:
- How did you wire up the glow plugs?
- What are you using for a battery?
- How is filling it up (diesel foam and all), and did you make any mods to the fuel filler?

'55 Willys Wagon, the original FSJ
Sitting on a '77 Cherokee frame, Dodge D60's
Isuzu 6BD1, NV4500, NP241
Old 03-05-2009, 10:27 AM
Gear Head

I have seen Mark's jeep in person and it is a thing of wonder. My jaw didn't come up off the pavement for at least two days after I saw it. Looks factory, sound amazing, and the fuel mileage makes me mad I rebuilt a 360. Friekin' sweet!
Kevin.
\'78 Cherokee Chief - 360/TH400/QT Front high pinion 44/ARB/4.10-1, Rear 44/ARB/4.10-1, SOA w/Alcan front springs, Alcan full-leaf (w/shackle eye flipped) rears, custom bumpers, Multi-mount Warn XD9000i, more money into her than I want to admit. Dad purhcased new, still have window sticker. 310,000 miles.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:29 PM

Still lookin for a donor myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandWag&Prix
Actually, now that I think about it, that could be either awesome or really terrible.

'79 Cherokee Chief "Junaluska"
Old 03-05-2009, 01:01 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinPete
A couple questions for you:
- How did you wire up the glow plugs?
- What are you using for a battery?
- How is filling it up (diesel foam and all), and did you make any mods to the fuel filler?

Glow plugs - I'm using a factory GM glow plug controller. I found a brand new glow plug harness on Ebay. The controller was super easy to hook up - keyed power, ground, feed to a light on the dash then just a 8ga wire from the battery.

Battery - just using a single red-top Optima for now. I have had no problems starting it, even down as cold as 20 degrees or at 115+. All the guys on the diesel forums told me that a single battery would not work.

Fuel filler - I knocked out the restrictor from the filler. It fills fine, but on some faster pumps (truck stops) I can't pump at full speed. I haven't had any problem with foaming.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:01 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78 Arizona Chief
I have seen Mark's jeep in person and it is a thing of wonder. My jaw didn't come up off the pavement for at least two days after I saw it. Looks factory, sound amazing, and the fuel mileage makes me mad I rebuilt a 360. Friekin' sweet!
Kevin.

Thank you!!
Old 10-23-2011, 02:49 PM

I know it's been a few more now. How is the Jeep working out? I was wonedering...do you suggest keeping the stock t-case or just swapping it out? I'm looking at doing a 6.5 swap into a GW. It's still in the planning stages....slash looking for donor vehicles. I'm thinking about the later model 6.5s that were the 00-02 vans (supposedly the years with the redesigned block) so I have the turbo in the valley. I'm certain this will fit will with the stock AC so there's no mods there. I'm also looking into the 700r4 after reading through your post and a few others. I want to use the stock controls for the t-case.

What models should I be looking for that has the 700r4 trans?
Old 11-04-2011, 07:30 AM
King Browless

JeepFullSizeFan1984, Mark AKA DieselSJ has not be active on this forum since 2009.
I do not know why he has decided to leave, but would like to encourage him to return.
So, I do not know when or if he will log back in to answer your posting, giving a long term report on his 6.5T Wagoneer.
1981 J20: Commercial flat bed. Long term Project: RUST! No Cab Brow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrodoh
...but if it works, I wouldn't touch it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindel
Best laid plans, yada yada yada...
Old 11-20-2014, 02:00 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

My goodness, how the time flies. I read this and think why in the heck have I let this thing sit in the yard for the past 4 years? Oh yeah, life got in the way. Not having a garage certainly puts a damper on things, too. I think I need to start an new thread with the current status and updates.