International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 01-22-2009, 05:27 PM
Gear Head

scout 33 gallon tank install as an aft axle option for Gas or Diesel

I am going to start this thread so that i stay on top of the tech for the installation

here it is a 33 gallon replacement tank still being manufactured for IH Scout's and it sure looks like a potential candidate for a behind the axle fuel tank replacement that is durable and offers the larger capacity

Dimensions 26" wide x 25" long x 12-3/4 deep

the tank was purchased from http://www.nwmp.com/fueltanks.asp
for $515 + shipping

what i like is that it is the HD 16 ga material. thick enough to take a beating easy to weld a skid plate to it

has a 2" fill neck, large enough vent port, plenty of evap ports and is diesel compatible, includes the scout sending unit.

the fill neck comes out in a spot that is decent enough for our applications may require a little bending of the hose but nothing insurmountable. The mounts they weld on will be ground off and new ones welded on.

the tank clears the shocks, but i may have to geta drawtight trailer hitch instead of my current dealership hitch to get the hitch tube flush with the rear cross member.

Otherwise i love the taper in the bottom of the tank. keeps fuel in the front half of the tank. prevents that deep of a tank from looking like a giant square box

The taper at the front top of the tank is where the pickup line comes out and where the sending unit is installed.

And best part i dont have to worry about the prospect of the tank hitting the diff if i go the route of installing a dana 60.

More later on resistance and sending unit compatibility. pictures to follow in about a week or so. feedback on where i will be getting my hair implants after i tear it all out due to this installation.

I honestly think this tank is a good value since it includes the sending unit, is baffled and is diesel compatible which was my major hang up plus it's a thick steel tank that can be welded to.

Now the thread is started i'll have to finish it

AMC 401 supporter

GO UM Montana Griz

"Dont worry the Coors light engineering department will be documenting this accordingly."
Old 01-22-2009, 06:13 PM

So how much is the tank with all the goodies and who carries it.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:07 AM
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedtrapp30
So how much is the tank with all the goodies and who carries it.

its posted in the above text

AMC 401 supporter

GO UM Montana Griz

"Dont worry the Coors light engineering department will be documenting this accordingly."
Old 01-23-2009, 10:52 AM
350 Buick

I went with the Aerotanks. You can get it with a skidplate. It is seven gallons less, but mine was less than $500.00 shipped to Texas.
1979 Cherokee - Built 401, NV4500, Dana 300, 6" BJ's Lift w/ Bilstein 5125 Shocks, Goodyear Wrangler MT/R 35X12.5R15, Front Brake Upgrade w/ GM 2500 Calipers & EBC Pads, Rear Disc Brake Conversion, Z&M Jeeps Dash Insert w/ VDO Series 1 Gauges, Tad Rack, Ramsey Hidden Winch w/ REP8000, Hydroboost, CS140

1967 J3500 - Making plans
Old 01-23-2009, 11:12 AM
Gear Head

i looked at them long and hard but the 1" fill neck was a major issue for a diesel application. the 1924 tank from aero at 29 gallons it was a seriously considered option.

but it was $310 + $62 shipping + sending unit etc since i was going to use as my main tank. They quoted me all set up without skid plate at 467.00 + tax it was $512.12 to me. I studdied that one long and hard. I checked out a bunch of your postings about when you installed your tank, that info helped a bunch. when i started talking about larger fill necks and a bigger 3/8 fuel supply line things started getting dicy

i opted this route because of the large fill neck and due to my diesel application. since the scout tank was designed with the scout diesel's in mind i knew i would be avoiding venting and foaming issues. but i definately would recommend the aero tank you used to those considering gas applications

AMC 401 supporter

GO UM Montana Griz

Last edited by dusty : 01-23-2009 at 11:17 AM.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:31 PM
350 Buick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty
i looked at them long and hard but the 1" fill neck was a major issue for a diesel application. the 1924 tank from aero at 29 gallons it was a seriously considered option.

but it was $310 + $62 shipping + sending unit etc since i was going to use as my main tank. They quoted me all set up without skid plate at 467.00 + tax it was $512.12 to me. I studdied that one long and hard. I checked out a bunch of your postings about when you installed your tank, that info helped a bunch. when i started talking about larger fill necks and a bigger 3/8 fuel supply line things started getting dicy

i opted this route because of the large fill neck and due to my diesel application. since the scout tank was designed with the scout diesel's in mind i knew i would be avoiding venting and foaming issues. but i definately would recommend the aero tank you used to those considering gas applications

Call them and they will custom build what you want. But, if you have already got the Scout tank, I am sure based on your prior stuff, you will have no problems stting it up. On the price, I forgot about you being in PRC and having to pay sales tax.
1979 Cherokee - Built 401, NV4500, Dana 300, 6" BJ's Lift w/ Bilstein 5125 Shocks, Goodyear Wrangler MT/R 35X12.5R15, Front Brake Upgrade w/ GM 2500 Calipers & EBC Pads, Rear Disc Brake Conversion, Z&M Jeeps Dash Insert w/ VDO Series 1 Gauges, Tad Rack, Ramsey Hidden Winch w/ REP8000, Hydroboost, CS140

1967 J3500 - Making plans
Old 02-23-2009, 09:55 AM
Gear Head

view of how low the tank hangs

frame rail to side of tank clearance.

frame rail top to fuel tank fill inlet

i wish the fill neck was at the breather and the breather was where the fill neck is or possibly that the fill neck bunped up about an 1" higher than the top of the tank but for my application i'll just squish 2" line a little like the old 74 fords pickups used to or i'll use some squished exhaust tubing.

visually it looks perfect witht he stock jeep hitch in there and it centers up nicely leaving room for shock maitnance ect. plenty of room on both sides of the tank for maitnance of wires and for reaching up with a wrech to bolt the soon to be welded on brackets and tighten things up.

still need to figure out the diffrent resistance for the two sending units. but prograss is being made

AMC 401 supporter

GO UM Montana Griz

Last edited by dusty : 02-23-2009 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:26 AM
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydog
Call them and they will custom build what you want. But, if you have already got the Scout tank, I am sure based on your prior stuff, you will have no problems stting it up. On the price, I forgot about you being in PRC and having to pay sales tax.

plus i like the guys up at NWM they were very helpful and put up with me asking a million questions

and incase anyone is wondering why i did this..... see below in my signature i have a thread link built in that says 4bta diesel click on it for the diesel conversion. diesel foams easily and requires a good vent line and large diameter fill hose for flow plus a large diameter fill neck for the fuel spout when you stop to fill up.. the stock jeep unit is 1" diameter and too small a fill neck to acomodate a diesel fill neck at any gas station.

most viable options are to- find an early waggy fill neck from a leaded fuel application or to use exhaust tubing and the welder to make something

AMC 401 supporter

GO UM Montana Griz

Last edited by dusty : 02-24-2009 at 12:29 AM.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:23 PM
Gear Head

after a few test fits then a little welding last night this scout tank is a good candidate for swapping in especially with a diesel swap. it went in really smooth and the fill neck is a straight shot from the tank to the inlet. the hose does have to pinch a little over the frame if you use the 2" hose but otherwise if you downside there is plenty of room between the frame rails to move the tank around and get extra hose in there and reducers if necessary. pictures to follow tonight of the mounts i opted to use. pretty simple 2 - 2"x6" 90* bent pieces and 2 - 2"x3" 90* bends

i put gussets on the 2x6 just incase.

the scout sending unit works with our jeep fuel gauges. e is e 1/2 tank is 1/2 tank and all the way up pegs the f.

my buddy seems to think that he found me an early jeep fill neck. hopefully it is the 2" diameter i need. we'll see. but overall this tank fits behind the shocks so now issues there. leaves room on each side of the frame rail to access hoses, clamps and wires and access to the fuel pickup and the sending unit is possible without dropping the tank.

AMC 401 supporter

GO UM Montana Griz

Last edited by dusty : 02-25-2009 at 01:44 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:48 PM
Gear Head

dont make fun of my welds i was having a bad night with the 110

it may look jenky but i was able to stree test the mounts and they dont appear to be coming off

AMC 401 supporter

GO UM Montana Griz

Old 02-26-2009, 01:49 PM
Gear Head

2" hose over the frame rail and right into that fill neck on the tank.

AMC 401 supporter

GO UM Montana Griz

Last edited by dusty : 02-27-2009 at 10:23 AM.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:04 PM

looks good to me. can i see some pics from the side to see how far if at all its hanging below the frame rails???
Old 02-26-2009, 05:47 PM
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalrecipekenny
looks good to me. can i see some pics from the side to see how far if at all its hanging below the frame rails???

it does hang down some but pretty minimal

so i used the 74 ford fill neck since it comes from the inside of the body and then i used screws to hold it to the exterior. i cut it right at the 90* used 2" fuel hose down to a 90* 2" exhaust pipe bend and out the existing hole.

This tank looks like it was destined for the back of a FSJ.

not the prettiest i would have liked an all steel neck but this was pretty easy using a hose for the mid section and it worked well.
its a 74 ford truck fill neck for a leaded fuel truck. cutright at the bend... being leaded fuel its the large 2" diameter. perfect for a diesel application. Catch is instead of the face plate mounting to the exterior of the body it mounts on the interior which worked well for having a 2" pipe plus a 1/2 vent line

trimmed the existing gasket to slip a 2" pipe through it and then gooped the crap out of it with some sikaflex hopefully its all sealed up

plenty of room over the frame rail and its a straight shot to the hole in te body where the fill neck comes out...... hey vendors it would be really easy to offer this tank with the 2" neck and then provide a neck down reducer and ruber hose sleeve to the jeep 1" line that way it could be used for diesel or unleaded fuel.

AMC 401 supporter

GO UM Montana Griz

Last edited by dusty : 03-09-2009 at 09:08 AM.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:21 AM
Gear Head

link to the 4bta swap in the cherokee chief
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...t=81359&page=5

AMC 401 supporter

GO UM Montana Griz

Old 07-20-2010, 12:10 PM
AMC 4 OH! 1

SUBSCRIBED to keep track of this one. Looks good and even better that it works with diesel.
Post #14 ~ http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...=1#post1580206
Old 07-24-2010, 10:47 AM
350 Buick

Quote:
I have Obsessive–Jeep Disorder (OJD) : a mental disorder characterized by intrusive thoughts that produce anxiety, by repetitive behaviors (buying parts and more Jeeps) aimed at reducing anxiety, or by combinations of such thoughts & behaviors such as but not limited to working on said Jeeps for extended hours.

X2, brushing on POR and laying in carpet this weekend. I am also subscribed to this thread, so I'm keeping an eye on it. Looks like this is a superior rear tank upgrade to the Bronco II tank.

I still don't see how you fill the tank. Must be an extra hole or fuel inlet in the side of the vehicle.
Seats! 4 inch SKYJACKER suspension lift, 33X12.5 in
BFG Mud Terrain Tires on 15X10 in ProComp Rims.
New BJ's chrome-moly rear axle shafts, 3.73:1 diffs and ARB Air Locker!

Last edited by caionneach : 07-24-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:46 AM
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by caionneach

I still don't see how you fill the tank. Must be an extra hole or fuel inlet in the side of the vehicle.

you use the existing hole, but replace the fill neck with the 70's ford neck that you cut and then screw the larger hose over

instad of the down spout being inserted from the outside through the hole and into the inner fender you install the down spout on the inside of the fender and then run the screws from the outside in

see my last post above with pictures of the big hose. all of those pictures show the 2" hose, the different down spout and how it was all installed. Post #13

AMC 401 supporter

GO UM Montana Griz

Last edited by dusty : 09-17-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:00 PM
AMC 4 OH! 1

DUSTY ... IIRC the filler hole on the tank was slighty lower then the frame. I'm not sure if I'm understanding how you routed the tank to keep it from slowing the fuel flowing to the tank. BUT if I do a 1-2" BL it shouldnt be an issue should it?

Thanks!
Post #14 ~ http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...=1#post1580206
Old 07-24-2010, 08:26 PM
Gear Head

nope its a straight shot over the frame rail and the inlet of the tank sits above the frame rail. that picture of the hose is right over the top of the frame rail back by the shackle

ford's came witha flat plate of aluminium that slips between the frame and fuel hose to prevent chaffing (nobody likes chaffing)

AMC 401 supporter

GO UM Montana Griz

Last edited by dusty : 05-28-2012 at 09:55 PM.