Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Events > Moab

Old 01-04-2009, 02:18 PM
Señor Jackhead

places to stay in Moab

from personal experience....

Motel:
A popular spot for a few of us is the Big Horn Inn. If there is interest to stay there by a few of us, I will call and see about a group discount and set aside some rooms.We plan to stay there a couple nights.
www.moabbighorn.com

Camping:
Sand Flats Recreation Area - It was $12 a night for tent spots last time I stayed there. This is where Porcupine and Fins & Things trails are. The entrance is at the beginning of Hells Revenge. It can be windy here in the Spring, so be prepared for potential blowing silt sand experience.
http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/moab/...ecreation.html

There is BLM and Utah State Park recreation land south of Moab about 11-12 miles which has some fairly secluded camping not far from the highway. I have stayed a couple places along here. Not far from Hole in the Rock tourist joint, South Kane Creek trail area and BFE playground.

Observation:
Some of the 2008 folks stayed across the road from the Big Horn Inn at a RV park. Seemed to be plenty of spots over there for tents, trailers and RVs. Also central very to Moab activities.
http://www.canyonlandsrv.com

Please feel free to share your recent places to stay adventures in Moab.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:23 PM
FSJ Maniac

for the 07 trip i stayed @ the virginian motel. was only about $55/night (w/ aaa). and decent rooms.

http://www.moab-utah.com/virginian/

--Support Your Local RockBrawler--
Old 03-12-2009, 06:45 PM
FSJ Maniac

The Apache motel, not as fancy as the other places, has classical appearance, but very quiet and disfunctional wireless 2 years in a row.

my jeep aid images

http://picasaweb.google.com/jeepmr/FSJ
Old 04-04-2009, 11:39 AM
FSJ Maniac

it snowed overnite

check the webcam

http://www.redcliffslodge.com/webcam/

Bring some extra blankets or firewood.... but who knows it can warm up really fast.

my jeep aid images

http://picasaweb.google.com/jeepmr/FSJ
Old 04-05-2009, 08:19 AM

Yeah Sean called me last night (grand_wag_85) he is staying in a tent at the Youth Hostel, at $7. bucks a night, he says it has been quite cold thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambler68
congrats...that's the first post on here I have absolutely no effing clue how to comment on.

How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.
Robert A. Heinlein
The birth of CROM is recorded here
http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=7778
Old 04-10-2009, 10:28 AM

We have our reservation made for the Canyonlands Campground across from the Bighorn again this year.

Here is a link to the prices if anyone is interested.
http://www.canyonlandsrv.com/pricespolicies.html

We are going to be there from the 14th to the 19th for some sightseeing, and will be bringing Dustin's little sister, the emotionally dependant dog, and possibly the hypoglycemic ferret depending on what the vet says.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:50 AM
Grease Monkey

I'm a fan of the La Quinta. It's kinda pricey but you get a free breakfast every morning, internet, and clean rooms.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:48 PM

Hey that's a good information.If i ever visit the place,i know where i should stay.I have never been there,but would go definitely.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:21 PM
Master Mechanic

For camping I've always been a fan of Ken's Lake. It is south of town a little ways on the north side of 191. You can see the lake (reservoir) from the highway but there is also a campground there. This is on the way to the Steelbender trailhead. Campsites with picnic tables and there is a year-round stream running along some of the campsites so you get some stream noise.

More info here: http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/moab/...en_s_lake.html

Justin
Old 04-08-2011, 06:25 PM
Rabble Rouser

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medial...strictions.pdf

BLM camping
Hunter S. Thompson .

Old 04-08-2011, 08:41 PM
Rabble Rouser

It's looking like it may not be easy to camp where I want too..or may be..hard to tell really. I remember the spot wasn't long at ALL to get too, but it doesn't look that way on the map..may have to scout it out. (take 'the highway' up to the Canyonlands entrance, hang a right on the Long Canyon road and its down on the right' are my mental directions from last year. The road where Dustin and I drag raced..and we stopped and all walked out to the rim, there were people camping there with a little dog..

otherwise, AREA BFE looks REALLY easy, free-$10 and 13 miles south of town, just past Hole in the Rock, bang a right after the rest stop on the left. Looks sweet. Plus you can wheel RIGHT there, since it's a free OHV park and the BLM can suck it as far as they are concerned.

http://www.areabfe.com/location/

anything in or near town looks like a complete hassle.

from some guys in CO4x4:
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Not really familiar with the area for camping. It has been several years since I have been out there and camped.

Does anybody know if the area to.....The right side, just before the hill to area BFE on the main highway? I think a trail exits from over there. Can't remember. Google earth sucks in the area. 8 miles or so South of town.
That area is closed on both sides of the road, just to the left of the Behind the Rocks trailhead was one of my favorite spots also.

Just got back from pre-running Golden Spike and Cliffhanger and the BLM areas are covered with "No Camping" signs. We ended up out off of 313 about 19 miles north/west of Moab in a BLM campsite.

I'd rather boondock but it was nice to have a nice level pad and a shelter we could wrap with tarps to break the wind.
Hunter S. Thompson .

Old 04-10-2011, 09:28 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambler68
It's looking like it may not be easy to camp where I want too..or may be..hard to tell really. I remember the spot wasn't long at ALL to get too, but it doesn't look that way on the map..may have to scout it out. (take 'the highway' up to the Canyonlands entrance, hang a right on the Long Canyon road and its down on the right' are my mental directions from last year. The road where Dustin and I drag raced..and we stopped and all walked out to the rim, there were people camping there with a little dog..

otherwise, AREA BFE looks REALLY easy, free-$10 and 13 miles south of town, just past Hole in the Rock, bang a right after the rest stop on the left. Looks sweet. Plus you can wheel RIGHT there, since it's a free OHV park and the BLM can suck it as far as they are concerned.

http://www.areabfe.com/location/

anything in or near town looks like a complete hassle.[/i]

you talking about going towards Potash on 279 to Longs Canyon or 313 towards Dead Horse to Longs Canyon?
BFE area on top of hill or area just south of Hole in Rock, I don't know if camping free or what, never been there.

That's why we camp north of 313 (Dead Horse cutoff) about 3 miles to Mill Canyon just across RR tracks (only down side to that now is they are running trains at least twice a day for mill tailings, shouldn't be noisy at sleep time though, they don't run all night).
OR if its not taken, just across from the campground/gas station north of 313 cutoff, there is Cotter mine road on the west and just before it goes up a hill there is a decent spot for several campers or bunch of tents.
Whichever is empty this coming Wed or Thurs morn, I will set Kens camper and come back to get jeep on trailer.

Phil (or Flip, Dragon)
Draco-79 Cherokee 360/QT-4" lift-pretty much stock and trying to fall apart
Old 04-10-2011, 10:10 AM
Rabble Rouser

Ummm...All I remember is going out of town north towards the Canyonlands entrance, and banging a right on the WIDE graded dirt road that follows the canyon rim (canyon on the right side). 2 years ago we saw people set up with a pull behind pop up on the rim and looked like an awesome spot. It was past the TOP of Gem. Bridges.

The BFE page said it was free camping with donations accepted gladly. Going to swing in there on my way up Thursday and check it out.

Ok, though I can't picture it in my head, way we went musta been off 313. I see where we came out on 191 just north of town..I'm thinking by Saturday I'll be re-aqquainted well enough to find it later in the afternoon and find a hideyhole off the trail where I won't be found
Hunter S. Thompson .

Last edited by Gambler68 : 04-10-2011 at 10:24 AM.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:04 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Gem bridges road cuts off to west, left if going north, just before 313.
That is past the arches national park.
Would be a good spot area to tent and such tho, pretty in that area.

Phil (or Flip, Dragon)
Draco-79 Cherokee 360/QT-4" lift-pretty much stock and trying to fall apart
Old 04-12-2011, 09:56 AM
Rabble Rouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatbackdragon
Gem bridges road cuts off to west, left if going north, just before 313.
That is past the arches national park.
Would be a good spot area to tent and such tho, pretty in that area.

That is what I'm thinking, on the top of the canyon past the bridges. I will have to scout it out and see if there are BLM No Camping signs like I read on CO4x4..apparently they went sign crazy this year. I looked on the website and it LOOKS as if the area is designated 'camping spots only' but it's hard to tell if they're talking about Bull Canyon on the bottom, or the top. It's a mission, we'll find out..since that's the easiest shakedown run out there, sure we'll be hitting it first. I'm all set to sleep in the jeep so it doesn't matter..wherever I park is where I camp. The Rube Goldberg Tent of Heck is staying at home this trip.
Hunter S. Thompson .

Old 04-12-2011, 10:19 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

We usually stat at the Comfort Inn but only because I get my rooms for free If not I would probably camp somewhere.

'86 Grand Wagoneer Super Chief 360 / TBI / WT conversion / 35x12.5x16 BFG Mud-Terrains (Project Link)
http://www.cfsja.org / http://www.fsjnetwork.com

"After years of being paranoid about my Jeep’s temp going towards that 220F mark, I’m realizing that if it was real problem, Jeep engineers would have painted that area RED." - FSJ Guy