International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 10-12-2008, 02:23 PM

727 rebuild. SEVERAL pics.

rebuilding a TC-727 for the GW. seems people ask about rebuilding these a lot. there is nothing to be afraid of in these,pretty simple piece of hardware. this one is getting a TCI Truckmaster kit. pretty much the same as the Pro-Super kit,but without the race type valve body mods,which are not needed in this app.

the victim,pan removed and drained.

to start,remove the T/Case adapter housing.the park pawl is in this part.

next,two circlips holding the governor in place. thick one is at the rearmost position. you'll need snap-ring pliers for this one.

there is a rod running through the governor and output shaft,pull the E-clip off one end,remove the rod,and pistons. the whole governor assy. will lift off the output shaft now.

loosen the front band adjuster,fully from the case.

remove the shifter and throttle (kick-down) arms.

remove the filter,then remove the 10 bolts holding the valve-body.3 in front,3 in back,and 4 on the side above the accumulator.it should lift off easliy at that point.sometimes it can get hung up on the neutral safety switch if it wasn't removed.

this is one of the reasons i like the 727. the valve body is removeable,so you can get rid of an undesired shift kit-or keep one-simply by swapping the valve body.

remove the bolts holding the front pump. when they're all removed,you can firmly smack the output shaft to push the pump out of the body.

now we pull the guts. remove the front band linkbar,and swing the band around and out of the case.

pull the input shaft,the clutch baskets come with it.

pull the planetary and output shaft next.

pull rear drum. loosen the adjuster on the arm first.

push the rear band arm pin out to remove the components,will need to tap it with a hammer.

pull this plug from the front,in the bell,lower corner. 1/4" square drive.

pull the front band pin out to remove the components,should slide out easy.

almost done stripping the case. here i'm using a C-clamp to depress the spring in the front band piston,to allow the spring clip to be pried out with a small screwdriver. the center accumulator simply lifts out,the rear band piston uses a light spring,you can hold it back with your thumb.

the front band piston can get wedged up. lightly tap it with a hammer and it'll come shootin' out.

the governor housing does not need to be removed in a lot af instances,but it's held on with 4 bolts,comes off easy.

off to the wash bay for an acid wash for you....

next,rebuilding the innards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasts79Chief
... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Quote:
I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

→ Where the kids hang out...

fsjbuilder.org come for the mindless chat,stay for the hand drawn emoticons.

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Last edited by Ristow : 07-12-2014 at 08:23 AM.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:23 PM

Old 10-12-2008, 04:52 PM
Shade Tree Shaman

Great write up. Could you please fix the thumbnail issue or make a Braille edition for us blind guys. TIA , old fart
Old 10-12-2008, 05:17 PM

i will fix the thumbnails. i think i'll have to reload them and put new links in. i'll try to get to it tonite.

i'll be doing some improvements to this transmission to increase torque capacity,and firm the shifts,in addition to the shift kit.

Quote:

Quote:
I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...
Old 10-12-2008, 06:35 PM
Master Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ristow
i will fix the thumbnails. i think i'll have to reload them and put new links in. i'll try to get to it tonite.

i'll be doing some improvements to this transmission to increase torque capacity,and firm the shifts,in addition to the shift kit.

Bravo!!!Bravo!!! That post is a keeper. Can't wait to see the rest.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:40 PM

This will be a great help to me in the not to far future. Thanks for the great post and pictures.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:58 PM
FSJ Maniac

this is great. keep up the good work. keep the pics coming.
www.kymc.org
shadowjeep
2003 Chevy Silverado
"WHEN IN DOUBT, THROTTLE IT OUT"
Old 10-12-2008, 07:03 PM
Master Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ristow
*** Tad,you can kill this if it's too big o' thread with all the pics. ***

The more pics the better
Old 10-12-2008, 07:12 PM

take the input shaft and clutch basket assembly,lift the front clutch up and off the input shaft.

note the fiber thrust washer between the two,seen at the base of the input shaft on the left. it's dark red on this tranny.there are different thicknesses available. make a note of it and set it aside.

pop the outer ring free with a small screwdriver and dump the clutch & pressure plates out.

the next step can be tricky. you need to compress the spring pack with 2 C-clamps,so you can remove the circlip to release them.

you'll find the disengagement springs,different number of springs found in various transmissions. some builders put 'em all in,it provides faster release of the clutch. what is important is they are spaced evenly. the spacer is also the piston,it can be removed from the clutch retainer as i have in the pic.

rear clutch. as with the front unit,pop the snap ring out,dump out the clutch plates. on this one there is an inner snap ring as well.pop it free,there will be a black plastic spacer in there,remove it.

the rear clutch retainer can be removed from the hub now.i have also removed the piston from the input shaft hub,and removed the lip seals as can be seen in this pic.

Quote:

Quote:

Last edited by Ristow : 10-12-2008 at 07:24 PM.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:21 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Great job Mike on the post, well done i could have used this last week when i was knee deep in tranny fluid on my trans.
77 cherokee S ,parts
78 j10 , one day i'll get to it.
84 J10, parts
51 Willys
88 XJ, DD
92 XJ, the other half claimed it, DD
1966 GT-350 mustang/ project
Old 10-12-2008, 07:36 PM
360 AMC

Yeah...ill be bookmarking this...!!!

PS...i have one here if you want to do another tutorial!!

Build Thread

Fight Crime...Shoot Back.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 10-12-2008, 08:12 PM
Delightfully Incompetent

Great write up Michael. Keep it coming.
Former - 1982 J10 Sportside, 360, TFI, 727/208, J20 axles, D44HD/Detroit TruTrac, D60/Detroit Locker, D60 disk brake conversion, 4.10s, 5 inch Superlift, 35x12.5x16.5 BFGs on AR767 Wheels. Procomp Super Seats. MileMarker 9000 on Cliffhanger front bumper. Dozer II rear bumper. Rhino Grill conversion. NP208 floor shifter conversion.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:16 PM
AMC 4 OH! 1

Good right up mike did it give up the ghost or was it just slipping real bad ?????

Also are you doing any upgrades need to beef that thing up for the new motor
80' J10 4BT/AX-15/208
74' J10 Go Grabber Green Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
Inferior Chevy

Old 10-13-2008, 07:21 AM
Dexron Impaired

Most excellent, most excellent, most excellent! This one will definitely be saved in the archives.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:27 AM
Gear Head

AWESOME!!! mine needs a "tune" it has some quirks like taking a nose dive shifting into 2nd an a little slooww into 3rd. Thanks for the great tech!!!
Old 10-13-2008, 07:36 PM

the kit,and book i refer to.

my assembly lube.

Front clutch retainer rebuild.

pull the lod lip seals,one from the retainer,one from the piston. note the way the lips point,always towards the pressure side. lip seals are designed to seal better as pressure increases.

note the orientation.

lube the seals and respective bores,gently twist and rock the piston into the bore.

put the springs on,remember to keep them evenly spaced. put the collar over them,make sure the spring are all tucked under it.

now for what is probably the clumsiest part of the rebuild. the collar needs to be compressed so the snap ring can be put on. it needs to be compressed straight down,and the collar will want to to get caught in the ring groove. it will try your patience,but it'll go...

there are different front retaners,3 and 4 clutch units,seen by the location of the upper snap ring groove in the pic. the standard models usually get the 3 clutch unit,the tow packs get the 4. mine had the 3,but i have a 4 pack unit from a different tranny. more clutches increase torque capacity. 3 pack on left,4 pack on right.

Standard clutch pack replacement.

start with a steel,then friction,3 or 4,accorcding to the retainer you have.then pressure plate,and wavy snap ring.

check clearance according to manual. check between the plate,and low point of the snap ring. wavy ring available in different thicknesses to tailor clearance.

Torque increasing modification...

on this tranny,i'll be substituting the stock pressure plate for a inner,beveled pressure plate from a donor rear clutch retainer,allowing one more friction and steel. a T400 center section snap ring is needed for this,as the stock ring is too wide. this allows 5 clutches,so in this tranny i went from 3 to 5 clutches in the front retainer.

Rear retainer.
pull the old seals from the piston,install the new.both lips point into the bore (input shaft).

lube em up,place the piston into position,you'll need to guide the seals in on this one,work them in with a rounded edge,usually,once the middle seal gets in,the outer guides itself.

now the retainer can be put into place over the input hub.

belvedere spring-concave side up-,plastic spacer and wavy snap ring go in next. the wavy ring used has square cut on both ends.

then,bevel plate,clutches,starting and ending with friction-4,and square plate installed.

wavy snap ring installed,clearance checked. wavy ring available in different thicknesses to tailor clearance.

Quote:

Quote:

Old 10-13-2008, 07:45 PM

Ristow,

Great job on the write up.

Where did ya get the Kit from LOL

-Flyusmc
Old 10-14-2008, 07:18 AM

it always LOOKS easy when someone else does it.

great write-up though. I have it bookmarked.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:25 AM
Big Meanie

Great write up!
I have never rebuilt one myself but watched closely at how my buddy that does trans work rebuilt the one from my old J-10. I was amazed at how simple these transmissions are. Mine needed the rear one way bearing and sprag replaced so it had no forward gears except low and reverse since they run off a band. I hope you checked the sprag really well for fcactures.
he's such big meanie that way...
please don't tell him i said that....
Old 10-14-2008, 05:26 PM

this one gets a bolt in sprag,it's going to have some snort in front of it.installed it today.

sigh...gonna have to finish this thread with the next rebuild,my camera broke,screen went black,and so are the pictures it takes...

Quote:

Quote: