International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Discussion

Old 05-29-2008, 10:51 PM
Grease Monkey

71 Wagoneer Project Part IV (with pics - dialup beware)

As requested, here's the latest update. It's all coming together and I'm currently just trying to tie up alot of loose ends to get it to be a reliable driver. With no further ado, here's the pics:

Typical morning, work in progress, can't use the creeper because daughter has claimed it as hers.

Here's the dash coming together. AC from Vintage air getting fitted. Had a hell of a time deciding what to do with all the holes in the edge of the dash from the pad I removed. Then I found some little LED lights that fit perfectly so I made them my dash lights. Here I'm testing them out for the first time, first pic to show what I'm shooting and second with the flash off to show the cool night time show...

Rear quarters are all plugged up. I made the patch panel (I radiused the front edge to give it a little more finished look) and my friend Joe welded it in at his shop. I'm really happy with how it turned out (I have some paint color matched to paint it in the future).

Here's the back all come together. Custom bumper that I finished a year ago can finally go in.

Here's the current exhaust system. I would like to extend it back to the rear quarters at some point, but I didn't want to pay for that much labor at the exhaust shop.

The engine compartment is all done now. Wiring is finished (including the light and horn relays on the fenderwell that I thought would be in the wiring harness.... not sure why I thought that). Switched over to a Pertronix HEI ignition when I was having trouble getting her to run.

Couple of pics of the jeep as it looks now in my driveway (it's not moving right now either due to an issue with my brand new starter).

Here's how I get so much work done, I now have two helpers instead of just one.

So that's it for now. Still projects in the works. Have to finish the custom front bumper to match the rear. Have to finish the last of the dash vents for the AC. Going to make new door panels. etc. etc. As a teaser, here's a pic of the roof rack that I'm making to have a place to store my spare tire and jack.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:11 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

VERY NICE!
I can't wait to hear your review on how well that AC works for you this summer. I KNOW how hot it gets there. It will be a good test.

Interesting use of LEDs. Does it light up enough to actually see anything?
Old 05-30-2008, 06:46 AM
FSJ Maniac

Nice work!! It is coming along beautifully. Can't wait to see more.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:07 AM

Looking really nice, great job!
Old 05-30-2008, 08:43 AM
Master Mechanic

very nice
1969 AMC Javelin SST 390
1968 AMC Javelin SST 290 (Parts)
Old 05-30-2008, 09:20 AM

man you're doin some amazing work!! mines the same color but a black interior maybe with some luck it'll be half as nice! i can't wait to see what it looks like finnished!!!!!
72 waggy... 44's f&r 4.10's lockrite front welded rear, 4wheel discs, 33" dick cepecks, stock 360 with thorleys, 4" bj's spring lift with chevy shackles f 2" blocks rear, 1" body lift and some new creative body work.... waiting on 1tons and a cage!
Old 05-30-2008, 09:50 AM
FSJ Maniac

Very cool!

I know what my next project is going to be...Mmm.....early wag.

JR

1980 Honcho Sportside w/37's, 351c, 14" lift, D44high pinion w/Aussie, crossover steering, 14b w/detroit, np435, 205, 5.13's, 4whl discs, hb brakes, OBAir, rusted out cab,
1966 mustang fastback
'07 Dodge Charger 3.5
Old 05-30-2008, 10:36 AM
Gear Head

Nice work.

'74 Cherokee, 401
'76 J-20, 401
M725, future project
Old 05-30-2008, 10:46 AM
Grease Monkey

Thanks all, as always the comments are too kind. Remember, the photos always hide the imperfections.... but I was never building it to be perfect, just a lot of fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer
VERY NICE!
I can't wait to hear your review on how well that AC works for you this summer. I KNOW how hot it gets there. It will be a good test.

Interesting use of LEDs. Does it light up enough to actually see anything?

Hammer,

The LED's actually throw off alot of light (the picture doesn't do it justice). Also what the picture doesn't show is that I added two LED pods in the rear cargo area, and the dome light will be three LED pods (yes they're all green)... should light up like the fourth of July. Also put in a switch on the tailgate to be able to turn them all on/off from the cargo area.

The AC just got charged a few days ago. I haven't been able to test it (it's been unseasonably cool this week anyway), I was just ecstatic that none of the hoses leaked and it actually seems to do what it's supposed to do.

Todd
Old 05-30-2008, 11:04 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

I was planning on putting some LEDs in for interior lighting. But I haven't finished the interior enough yet (probably going to spray in a bedliner product).

Why green?

And when the AC gets working, I want to come sit in it this summer! Let it sit in the sun and bake, then crank it up and see how long it takes to cool the entire wag down.
I drool over that system, and often think about ditching my heater and AC setup to get one like that.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:55 AM
Grease Monkey

Green is the color of money...

But seriously, the color of the LED's in the gauges is green and the stereo I installed has a green display, so I thought I'd just make it a theme (plus I thought for the amount of lights I was planning on installing white would be a bit overpowering).

I'll give you a review of the AC first hot day I get sitting in the jeep. I am collecting pictures to document the whole install for anyone else that is interested, but I was going to do that as a seperate thread and I wanted to wait until I could report on how well it worked... Maybe end of summer?

Todd
Old 05-30-2008, 11:55 AM

Nice Work Mine's the same color too, well mostly that is You're an inspiration, keep it up!
And some baby Jeeps
Old 06-15-2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Teeth
Green is the color of money...

But seriously, the color of the LED's in the gauges is green and the stereo I installed has a green display, so I thought I'd just make it a theme (plus I thought for the amount of lights I was planning on installing white would be a bit overpowering).

I'll give you a review of the AC first hot day I get sitting in the jeep. I am collecting pictures to document the whole install for anyone else that is interested, but I was going to do that as a seperate thread and I wanted to wait until I could report on how well it worked... Maybe end of summer?

Todd

I'm definately interested in seeing that thread! I won't be tackling it until next year, but I'm planning on going vintage air or classic auto air (similar in design) to be able to ditch the box in the engine bay and the vacuum controls.

Thanks for all your hard work getting this stuff documented for us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlocke
I have it from reliable sources that when a Hummer owner claims to be suffering from a headache that in actuality they are suffering phantom pains.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:32 PM
King of Unfinished Projects

Any news on the Vintage Air system? How is it working for you. TexaJ10 has that setup I believe and it has worked well in his J truck for years.

Very curious to see how it does in a Wagoneer.

Back burner project: Crew cab M715, Cummins/Allison/Rockwell Tcase/Dana 61/Dana 71.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:05 AM

hey Dr Teeth just wondering what mufflers you are running and where are the exhaust hangers i am planning on going with a exhaust setup like yours. also that is one nice wagon. mark
Old 06-17-2008, 01:30 PM
Grease Monkey

Not enough driving yet to report on the AC, still fighting with my starter. I also found a leak that the shop missed when they charged it... so I may no longer be at full capacity.

The exhaust is connected off hangers that are attatched to the C-channels that come off the frame for the body mounts. I'd post up pics, but I don't like how the shop did them (they were way to rigidly mounted at first... still not exactly sure how I'm going to fix them... so no pics as I don't want to give anyone else bad ideas!).

Todd
Old 06-17-2008, 04:13 PM
Master Mechanic

Hello from Redding

Nice, nice nice...thanks for the update!

I never got around to coming over to visit. Now my Wagoneer's in the garage waiting for me to get on the stick. You're providing motivation.

About that Vintage Air...now that I have my heater core and fan out, I need to look at it.

Can you please write a bit more about your experience with the system?
  • Did you buy the Universal system?
  • Heat/Cool or Heat/Cool/Defrost?
  • How much did it cost?
Thanks, and as always kudos for building the cleanest FSJ I've seen!

Brad
Old 06-17-2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSJeeper
Any news on the Vintage Air system? How is it working for you. .

I have Vintage air in both me wags (the AC only model tho, still using the OEM heat/defrost system) and they work fine...had a leak in the unit I installed in to me 75, but had the evap replaced under warranty.
(Soon to be TBI)
"If it aint leaking, it's empty!"
Old 06-17-2008, 07:52 PM
Gear Head

Lookin sharp!
Old 06-17-2008, 08:53 PM
Master Mechanic

I've been looking forward to the update. everything is looking great! is your heater now part of your a/c unit? do you need a heater delete panel for your original heat control unit? ( im looking from a cell phone, can't tell what's going on there)

Last edited by james1414d : 06-17-2008 at 08:56 PM.