International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Diesel Swaps

Old 05-23-2008, 09:13 PM

The Great Diesel Debate

I have an 82 wagoneer that I am restoring. I have found all my parts and decided what to do about my vacumm situation, but it got me to thinking... These parts were a pain to track down, some only being available at salvage yards... This may not be worth it.

I have seen several threads about people dropping diesels into these old beauties, and I must admit, I'm intrigued by the prospect.

Does anyone have advice, knowledge, suggestions for a diesel swap in this bohemith?

What I am interested in is info on diesel motors, where to acquire them and how extensive is the conversion.
How far down the powertrain am I looking to replace to get this puppy running diesel (for the intention of bio-diesel)? etc.....

Many thanks to all respondants.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:24 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

As with any swap, you are looking at a lot of work, a whole lot of work. Since your FSJ is an '82, your best bet would be to find a complete GM 6.2 or 6.5 drivetrain from an '88 or newer pickup. The GM drivetrain will have a driver's side drop transfer case, most likely a 700R4 or 4L60E OD tranny, and an all mechanical diesel engine. The motor mounts are the same as any SBC swap. Exhaust will have to be custom made. I don't know how friendly the stock fuel system is to diesel fuel, but you may have work there since diesel tends to foam while filling the tank. You will have to address the vacuum system, since a diesel engine doesn't make any. I am not certain whether the GM engines have a mechanical vacuum pump or not.

'55 Willys Wagon, the original FSJ
Sitting on a '77 Cherokee frame, Dodge D60's
Isuzu 6BD1, NV4500, NP241
Old 05-24-2008, 11:08 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Gosh...where do I start?

What specifically do you want to know? It is really no more difficult than any other engine swap. 6.2/6.5 with a 700R4 and a NP241 is a drop-in with no computer crap to worry about.

Stock tank and fuel lines work fine with diesel. As with ANY diesel engine, clean fuel is extremely important, so I run a 10 micron filter before my fuel pump and a 2 micron after the fuel pump. If you plan to run bio-diesel, then swap all the rubber lines for Viton as the bio will attack the rubber. The only other mod to the fuel system is to punch the restrictor plate out of the filler so that the bigger diesel nozzles will fit.

GM does have a mechanical vacuum pump - the 6.2 had it at the back of the block attached to the oil pump drive, and the 6.5 has it as a belt-driven accessory. I totally eliminated all things vacuum from my rig so I don't have a pump.

Also, use the search. There have been many threads about diesel swaps.
-Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
Old 05-24-2008, 11:54 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselSJ
I totally eliminated all things vacuum from my rig so I don't have a pump.

What do you do with the heater?

'55 Willys Wagon, the original FSJ
Sitting on a '77 Cherokee frame, Dodge D60's
Isuzu 6BD1, NV4500, NP241
Old 05-24-2008, 02:07 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinPete

Aftermarket. Vintage Air. Their new stuff is all electrical.
-Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
Old 05-25-2008, 12:20 AM

Ok, so I'm hearing a lot of references to 6.2 and 6.5 diesel motors... I'm not so daft to not recognize size descriptions, but I have seen numerous threads refering specific manufacturer and model descriptions. I dount I can get away with any diesel make of 6.2 and 6.5 deminsions, as each manufacturer typically uses their own bolt pattern conventions for mating with the tranny.

In my new and relatively small amount of research, thus far, I hear most references to a cummins 4bt. What exactly is a 4bt cummins and how costly in comparison to other likely candidates to go under the hood?
Old 05-25-2008, 11:02 AM
FSJ Maniac

Man another thread on this subject, the oil company's dis-information about americans "not wanting more diesels on the market" has to be false. And that diesel now costs more to make because of clean brun standards. BIG OIL wouldn't lie to to the government, ohhh I forgot they've got them by the short curly ones too....

OK OK I'll get off the soap box...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinPete

There's a couple of things one can do, I plan to get a 5.9 cummins, or 6BT, p/s and vac pump that came stock on those engines. For lower RPM operation I'm also using a 12v vac pump that maintains the system.

There are many discussions on this on diesel sites but either way is just as good as the other.

Last edited by COLOFIREMAN : 05-25-2008 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbentley
I dount I can get away with any diesel make of 6.2 and 6.5 deminsions, as each manufacturer typically uses their own bolt pattern conventions for mating with the tranny.

In my new and relatively small amount of research, thus far, I hear most references to a cummins 4bt. What exactly is a 4bt cummins and how costly in comparison to other likely candidates to go under the hood?

The 6.2 and 6.5 diesels are GM built v-8 units (NOT a modified gas design), and I have yet to see one with anything other than the standard chevy bellhousing pattern.
The cummins 4bt is a four cylinder industrial engine found in all sorts of heavy equipment from generators to bread vans.
On cost, the cummins is far more expensive than a 6.2/6.5 (which is why many people, including myself, go with the 6.2/6.5), but it does have its advantages. The cummins is far stronger than the 6.2/6.5, and from what I have heard they use less fuel. The 6.2/6.5 engines are readily available, parts are cheap (comparatively), and they use standard chevy swap components.
The eternal project -'88 6.2 diesel, '75 cherokee chassis, t-18 & dana 20, & WT dana 44's, front lock right, '67 j-3000 cab ('75 dash & pedals, '67 column, "leather" astro bench), '3? IH bed, 32" mtr's
Almost drivable!

'66 cj-6a tuxedo park - 225 v-6, bds 3" lift, ft disc brakes, PTO winch, OBA, Mobi-Arc OBW
Old 05-26-2008, 02:43 PM
FSJ Maniac

Yeah the 6.2 is a good design for long service life but the 6.5 turbo would be the better choice it I had to make it between the two.