The Best anti-seize for stainless bolts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EL Grande Honcho
    258 I6
    • Jun 01, 2006

The Best anti-seize for stainless bolts?

What's the best for stainless bolts for things like oil pan, water pump, intake manifold?

Permatex #2?

Anyone every use old Rector Seal like for plumbing..I've been using that stuff for years and it never failed..then again, never on a Jeep
  • pb
    350 Buick
    • Aug 28, 2003

Based on my experience, I might use thread locker on them. I put some stainless bolts on my engine and they loosened up causing the intake to leak. On my intake I only had two that I couldn't take out by hand.
    Paul
    1975 Wagoneer DD
    360 with large cap ecm controlled HEI, TBI EFI, Comp Cam 260H, Edelbrock Performer Intake, CS130 alt, 4 row radiator, S10 steering box, QT w/LO, WT 3.54 D44 axles. Rancho 9000X's, ~4" lift, Caddy rear discs.

Comment

• KaiserMan
      I got the Willys....
      • Jun 21, 2005

Yeah, I wouldn't use stainless bolts on a motor. All I have ever heard from people that have is how the bolts loosened up.
      Thomas Russell
      1987 Cherokee Laredo 2-Door 4.0/AW4
      1971 Gladiator
      J2000 Platform-Stake Dump 350/T18

1970 Gladiator J3000 3407Z Camper Truck 350/T18
      1968 Wagoneer Custom 327/TH400

Comment

• Herk
        350 Buick
        • Jun 12, 2006

I use blue Loc-Tite on anything with threads. Learned that years ago working on my Willys and various Triumphs. Things come apart easier if you use something to seal the threads. Whats more, the parts generally only come off when you want them to, not on a dark rainy stretch of road when you are already late to pick up your girlfriend.

Here's my basic prep recipe:

1. Gumout or soak in lacquer thinner, wire wheel brush if available.

2. Brake cleaner and an air hose (wear eye protection).

3. A NEW lockwasher (I buy 1/4 through 1/2 in bulk).

4. Loc-Tite and torque to spec.

Basically you want the threads spotless clean. New fasteners are always a wise investment, although I wouldn't spend extra for stainless.

I use Never-Sieze on lug nuts and exhaust pipes.

On intake or head bolts which drill through to the water jacket or crankcase, I use Permatex #2.

Occaisionally some torque-to-yield cylinder head bolts wile require "Lube-Torque", but the procedure will be spelled out in the service manual.

NEVER install bolts dry. They will either fall out or "water-weld" themselves in place.
        There are 2 rules to success in life...
        Rule #1: Don't tell people everything you know.

1971 J-4700/Buick 350 Stage 1/TH400/D20/D44/D60/Koenig PTO Winch
        2005 LJ Rubicon Pretty close to stock

Comment

Working...
        X