• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rainman
    258 I6
    • Sep 24, 2006

Thinkin about mopar power

Ever since I decided I was going to buy a fsj, the one thing that I didn't like about them was the lack of fuel injection. I figured this could be corrected with a tbi system of some type. Only problem is that the 360 currently in the G-wag needs a little attention. Every time I drive it the warm idle pressure seems to be lower and lower. I'm probably around 5 psi at this point. This fact combined with the leaking front seal, lifter tick and the need for a valve job leads me to the conclusion that while a tbi system would improve driveability, it does not address the problems that the motor currently has.

Which leads me to the point of this post. I've found a 95 ZJ with a 318 that I am thinking I could drop the engine/tranny into the G-wag. It's (relatively) low miles and is a cheap option due to a roll-over.

now time for some discombobulated thoughts:

While the 318 is smaller, I think the more modern design with the mpi would make up for the loss of cubes.

The overdrive gear would be pointless with my 3.31 gears and 31" tires now, but would be excellent after I change the gearing.

From searching this site and others, my NP229 should bolt up to the A518 (both being 23 spline) please correct me if this is wrong

BJ's has motor mounts for Mopar LA series engines, but IIRC the magnum engines mount differently.

While my mpg would not increase substantially, I am mostly after better cold starts and driveability at various altitudes (live at sea level, travel to 10k ft every year)

the 95 is pre-obd2 and would be easier to wire into the G-wag than a 96+ engine

the 318/A518 is longer than the 360/727 so drive shafts must be dealt with

</discombobulation>

I've searched for other people who have done this and haven't found any completed projects. Most go for chebys of some sort. I am I mopar guy and would like to work with what I am comfortable with.

I don't want this to come off like I don't like AMC engines. I have no qualms with their performance only that it is 60's technology and upgrades are more expensive than other brands.

Feel free to flame away and try to talk me out of it, or offer advise and encouragement. Thanks
    Last edited by Rainman; 07-03-2008, 12:39 AM.
    John

'87 Grand Wagoneer
    4" lift, 31s, 5.2L Magnum
    Current Jeep status: Operational...mostly
  • Stuka
    • Jan 21, 2001

Should work fine for you, but you will be losing some low end torque. As I recall the magnums do mount differently. But otherwise should be a pretty straight forward swap. Although I think the OD might be a bit too high for you with the 3.31's. But go to 3.73's or so and it should be perfect (so long as you stay with 31's).

Comment

• strat-O-master
      232 I6
      • Apr 14, 2006

Sounds like a cool project, make sure to document everything in a build thread.
      -Brent M.
      -86' Grand 360 Auto,TFI upgrade

No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the legislature is in session. -Mark Twain (1866)

Comment

• fulsizjeep
        Señor Jackhead
        • Aug 21, 2002

318 is a pretty solid engine John. Been around for many years. The updated fuel system and electronics would be handy. You can probably find some performance tweeks to get better torque out of it too.
        Flint
        Ran when parked.
        http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
        88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
        76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
        http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• CROCKETTBOONE
          350 Buick
          • Jan 14, 2005

I own a 1994 ZJ with the 318 in it. I have over 200,000 on it and it runs stronger than my 2004 WJ with the 4.7 H.O.

It also gets better milage @ 22 MPG on the highway.

IMHO the 318 is the best engine ever made.
          An opinion is just that, an opinion. A fact is a fact, and thought to be true. Please dont confuse an opinion with a fact. Life: Its sexually transmitted and always Fatal.

Comment

• joe
            • Apr 28, 2000

Quit dink'n around...if you're gonna run brand-x go with the 440.
            joe
            "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• Radio Flyer
              232 I6
              • Apr 29, 2007

I have the 318/46RH(A518)/3.73/31s in my 93 Grand Cherokee (ZJ) and it would benefit having at least 4.10s with the 31s. Highway mileage wasn't bad with the 235s/3.73s with the overdrive (about 18-19mpg) but sucks with the 31s(about 14-15mpg). My ZJ weighs in a little over 5K with winch, tools and misc. junk in it. I'm lookimg at going to 35s in the future on it and will probably go with 4.88s to help compensate for the weight issue somewhat.

For wiring you might want to check out these guys.........

It looks like they make a stand alone harness for the 5.2/5.9 swap into TJs and such and you may be able to make it work with the FSJ.

Comment

• Ristow
                • Jan 20, 2006

Originally posted by joe
                Quit dink'n around...if you're gonna run brand-x go with the 440.

hyep!
                Originally posted by Hankrod
                Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
                ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
                I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• YellowJeep
                  350 Buick
                  • Jan 20, 2007

Originally posted by Rainman
                  I am I mopar guy and would like to work with what I am comfortable with.

I don't want this to come off like I don't like AMC engines. I have no qualms with their performance only that it is 60's technology and upgrades are more expensive than other brands.

Feel free to flame away and try to talk me out of it, or offer advise and encouragement. Thanks
                  I too am a Mopar guy but for me it wasn't a tough decision to go with a Gm motor. The 318 and 360 are fine engines, but they are the same 60s technology as the AMC360 you'd be replacing with a fuel injection system slapped on top. Mopar's fuel injection systems on those motors isn't that sophisticated and they don't get that great of mileage. I had the 360 in a DD truck of mine and I was never impressed with it. On the freeway in a 2wd truck with 3:92 gears I could SQUEEZE 15 out of it. Torque and power were OK, but not that great. The hemi truck I replaced it with was night and day above it and got WWAAAAYYY better mileage.

I would consider doing 4.7 swap. This is a much more modern motor, with more technology, power, and MPG. I know lots of people who have them and they are all very happy with them.

One other thing to consider...how programable is the ECM on the dodges? Can you plug in and change stuff like the GM systems? Does anyone do mailorder changes to the ECM? Just something you'll want to consider.
                  Chad-
                  88 Wrangler - TBI350 SM465 Ford 8.8
                  79 Cherokee Golden Eagle - AKA "The Screamin Eagle" 5.3 Runs and Drives. TH400 and Q-Trac!
                  77 Pontiac CanAm - 6.0LSx/4l80e swap
                  2010 - Ford Flex Limited AKA the wifes wagon
                  Carbs suck!

Comment

• Eugene 1
                    304 AMC
                    • Feb 04, 2006

[quote=YellowJeep]I too am a Mopar guy but for me it wasn't a tough decision to go with a Gm motor. The 318 and 360 are fine engines, but they are the same 60s technology as the AMC360 you'd be replacing with a fuel injection system slapped on top. Mopar's fuel injection systems on those motors isn't that sophisticated and they don't get that great of mileage. I had the 360 in a DD truck of mine and I was never impressed with it. On the freeway in a 2wd truck with 3:92 gears I could SQUEEZE 15 out of it. Torque and power were OK, but not that great. The hemi truck I replaced it with was night and day above it and got WWAAAAYYY better mileage.

I would consider doing 4.7 swap. This is a much more modern motor, with more technology, power, and MPG. I know lots of people who have them and they are all very happy with them.

It is 60s technology except for the Roller cam, lifters,Swirl port heads,Fuel injection and near bullet proof bottom end dont forget strokers very inexpensive these days..
                    if you use the newer98 and up you can use a programmer like a Hypertech or something along those lines. www.hotrodlane.cc has a harness for the 4.7 ,5.7 and 6.1 if you want to go newer just my .02 cents..oh and the ears on most Magnum Blocks are still there so you a can use the 1gen mounts
                    Last edited by Eugene 1; 12-15-2007, 02:49 PM.
                    JEEP
                    2005 Ram 1500 HemI

Comment

• Bill Moore
                      304 AMC
                      • May 22, 2006

Joes right, go with the 440
                      DDs
                      67 KJ715 4bt AA OD 465 np205
                      78 J20 Chevy 305 nv4500 np205

Projects

Sons Build 1980 short bed J10, j20 axles, 4bt, nv4500, np205, shortened M715 bed and fenders

Freedom is not Free, it is paid for with Blood

Comment

• Eugene 1
                        304 AMC
                        • Feb 04, 2006

440 hee hee
                        JEEP
                        2005 Ram 1500 HemI

Comment

• hardbody1
                          258 I6
                          • Mar 29, 2006

Another vote for the 440 thats what im going to swap to down the road.
                          1982 Cherokee Laredo WT 360/727/208 SOA and Shackle flip 4.88 gears spooled rear lockrite front and 36in. sxs Rolled and still going!

Comment

• Rainman
                            258 I6
                            • Sep 24, 2006

To all the 440 proponents: I live in Californistan, engine must be an 87+ in order to go into my rig. A 440 would be pretty sweet in a trail-only rig though
                            John

'87 Grand Wagoneer
                            4" lift, 31s, 5.2L Magnum
                            Current Jeep status: Operational...mostly

Comment

• joe
                              • Apr 28, 2000

Originally posted by Rainman
                              To all the 440 proponents: I live in Californistan,
                              No escape eh? (oh on a side note WA state is CLOSED). Oh well at least they got the PRC/Nevada fence up. Hopefully soon the Mex/Muslim-wacko fence will also be up.

Ok silliness aside. Since you're in the PRC anyway why not just fix what you got? Is it really worth the bucks and the PRC Nazi hassle for a couple mpg's? Not a criticism just a question.
                              joe
                              "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

Working...
                              X