• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1977cherokeechief
    350 Buick
    • Apr 21, 2007

what the heck

i have been looking at a j10 for about a week or two now. It was a heck of a hard time to track down/ get a hold of the owner. But he told me he would sell it to me for 300. i figured why not. i drove it today and it drove great. i was looking at it and there is the typical rust.

so here is where it get really really intereesting. the truck regestration says it is a 76 j-10. the numbers do not match on the vins (firewall is different than the door)

here is what it has, inline six>???(dont know the tranny)>QT T-Case.

i did not know that these truck came with the QT in them with the inline six.

so im thinking that the jeep has been hacked... bad. the vin under the hood started out like "J4... and the door started out J6..." i think that is how it was it was a couple hours ago... the grill is the same as the 76 (thank god, i like that style the best)
    nate

the new fixer upper
    1977 cherokee chief
    360, th400, QT
    33" tires
    edelbrock 600cfm

82 mustang 5.0 5 speed. ford racing intake, edelbrock, offbrand long tubes, and glass packs.

Originally posted by jamsni
    Just explain that you are trying to do your part to stimulate the economy. Buying it is just the right thing to do.
  • FSJeeper
    King of Unfinished Projects
    • May 20, 2000

The Jeep 6 cylinder is the best engine AMC ever made. It had the best service record of any military vehicle up to 1984 that I know of, did not have access to military records after that.

too bad about the auto and qtrac ( which is not bad) cause they drain power, for $300 I would go for it.
    In Process: 91 Wagoneer, D61/71 axles with 3.07 gearing, NV4500, NP205. Cummins 6BT.

Back burner project: Crew cab M715, Cummins/Allison/Rockwell Tcase/Dana 61/Dana 71.

Comment

• tkiller13
      304 AMC
      • Jun 17, 2005

You get a title?

Comment

• 1977cherokeechief
        350 Buick
        • Apr 21, 2007

i will when i buy it, i have not purchased it yet. and for 300 i will go for it.

floors have to be replaced though. unfortunately. the PO had rivedted in something in over the rusted out floors. its will be a good DD for now until i get a good job and can afford to fix it right.
        nate

the new fixer upper
        1977 cherokee chief
        360, th400, QT
        33" tires
        edelbrock 600cfm

82 mustang 5.0 5 speed. ford racing intake, edelbrock, offbrand long tubes, and glass packs.

Just explain that you are trying to do your part to stimulate the economy. Buying it is just the right thing to do.

Comment

• joe
          • Apr 28, 2000

Is it legally plated and licensed for the road now in your state? Granted for $300 ya can't lose much on a running 258 truck but make sure the title matches at least one or the other of the VIN's on the truck, preferably the VIN on the firewall tag.

If it's not currently tagged for the road I'd have the DMV run the number(s) all of 'em or you may end up with just a parts rig you can't license/drive.
          joe
          "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

Originally posted by joe
            Is it legally plated and licensed for the road now in your state? Granted for $300 ya can't lose much on a running 258 truck but make sure the title matches at least one or the other of the VIN's on the truck, preferably the VIN on the firewall tag.

If it's not currently tagged for the road I'd have the DMV run the number(s) all of 'em or you may end up with just a parts rig you can't license/drive.
            X2!

Al
            79 Cherokee Chief "Kronk" - TBI350/SM465/NP205
            99 Dodge 2500 4x4 - Cummins 24v
            07 Mazdaspeed3 GT - Big turbo, 340whp

Comment

• jeeping1974
              360 AMC
              • Jun 17, 2007

i thought that the inline six motors all had dana 20s behind them. did you take a look under it to see what it has?
              03 GMC 2500HD - DD/toy hauler
              06 Street Glide - Cruiser

Comment

• joe
                • Apr 28, 2000

Originally posted by jeeping1974
                i thought that the inline six motors all had dana 20s behind them. did you take a look under it to see what it has?
                In that year if it has an AT it has a QT.
                joe

Comment

• OBX-AUTOMOTIVE
                  GRUMPY
                  • Apr 10, 2001

HELP ME OUT!! IS THE VIN ON THE DOOR JAM!! AND NOT THE DOOR!!...IF WHAT YOU SAY IS TRUE!...I FIND IT KIND/OF/ODD!...YOU EVER TRY TO REMOVE THE VIN ON THE JAM...AKA THE PAPER ONE,PLASTIC STICK/ON!! NOW THE ONE ON THE FIREWALL IS EASY TO REPLACE....

Comment

• OBX-AUTOMOTIVE
                    GRUMPY
                    • Apr 10, 2001

AS FOR THE PLASTIC..VIN... STICK/ON,ON THE DOOR JAM! WHAT WE WOULD DO IS STICK THE OLD ONE IN THE GLOVE BOX. AKA ...WHEN REPLACING THE DOOR JAM AND QUARTER WITH A NEW ONES. JUST CUT THE VIN OUT AND STICK IT IN THE BOX...YOU COULD NEVER GET THEM OFF,WITHOUT SCREWING THEM UP!!!....

Comment

• joe
                      • Apr 28, 2000

Thread tweak here...sorry

OK GARY...YOU CAN'T REALLY READ YOUR AVATAR EITHER CAN YA?
                      joe

Comment

• Zorm
                        304 AMC
                        • Apr 08, 1997

$300 for something that runs and has a title. I know of a 80 something
                        J-10 that has been sitting for at least 4 years and the fool still wants $300.00. The body is shot, it has the 258, T176, NP208 and the tires are shot, he still wants $300.00

For somethng that runs, I'd jump on that and figure our the vin stuff later
                        83 Cherokee 4dr WT(axles) 4" lift, 351w, nv3550, NP208, installing soon

65 Corvair Corsa Convertible, 4 speed, 140 quad carb engine

71 F-250 Camper Special (in rewire stage)

HE guides my path, forgives me when I stray and lights my life.

Comment

• 1977cherokeechief
                          350 Buick
                          • Apr 21, 2007

Originally posted by joe

it has a tag, i drove it, it is a automatic, with the QT tcase without 4low, the man showed me the registration and it was current. i did not look for the tag # on it because i figured the cop that was following him would have ran the tag # when he took me for a ride becuse the cop was pretty close to us for about a mile until we turned back into the drive. my state does not have safety or emissions yet.

Originally posted by jeeping1974
                          that is what i thought, and that is what my questoin was, it is probably a 74 frame. with a 76 front body. there are no rust/weld spots on the fram either, so i donot think it was wrecked. i plan on getting it for 300 and running. i need a truck that is reliable and 4wheel drive (live by some pretty nasty roads) and the city likes to plow the snow under/into my cars.
                          Last edited by 1977cherokeechief; 10-16-2007, 02:22 PM.
                          nate

the new fixer upper
                          1977 cherokee chief
                          360, th400, QT
                          33" tires
                          edelbrock 600cfm

Comment

• 1977cherokeechief
                            350 Buick
                            • Apr 21, 2007

i know there is a link for the VIN for these trucks. what is is?
                            nate

the new fixer upper
                            1977 cherokee chief
                            360, th400, QT
                            33" tires
                            edelbrock 600cfm

Comment

• jpjeeper
                              258 I6
                              • Jul 26, 2007

Tech library link on the top of every page?
                              1967 J3000 Gladiator 327 Vigilante
                              1972 CJ5 Renegade
                              2006 Rubicon Unlimited
                              2017 Rubicon Unlimited Hard Rock

Comment

Working...
                              X