International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 10-28-2006, 04:00 AM
350 Buick

New custom Gauge panel (89 rig) Newer dash

Hello everyone,

I am at it again. I have decided to follow the pathway of many who have decided to customize and attempt to add things to or modernize their rigs. I got tired of my tired old gauges on my 1989 rig always failing to work no matter what you do. When I inquired about replacements the stealership of course wanted an arm and a leg. Why not get better qaulity gagues and add my own flavor to it while I am at it? Well here is my attempt at it. I ordered the autometer Golden Oldies Gauges and I purchased a long peice of steel from my local Lowes/ Home Depot. I think it was 8 x 18 inch steel when I got it and of course using my trusty dremmel I had to make some adjustments.. including cutting the holes for the gauges.

Here are preliminary shots of me making test measurments and trying it with cardboard first

The long hulking husk of metal that I started with before I begin to chop it up

Below are two shots of what it has metamorphasized into after cutting and doing a few things with my dremmel. I have the xpr200 something so it also has a jigsaw attachement. Anyway. As you can see it is still rough around the edges. only two of the gauges fit so far and that is after I used the grinder to smooth the holes out. I have six more holes to smooth out and a little more cutting to do. After that I will add the led lights for the turn signals, the high beams, the low fuel light, the brake light etc.

I also modified my stock fuel sending pickup tube and unit. I removed the stock fuel sending unit and adapted the auto-meter sending unit to it. I did this so that I could get a high qaulity sending unit onto the pickup tube and get my auto-meter gauge to work properly. The auto meter sending unit is changeable so i dont have to throw away the whole pickup assemble to change it. It took careful and precise measurement as the stock tank has a very small hole in it for the pickup tube. install it improperly and you will have difficulty getting your pickup tube back into the tank. Assuming you can get it back in to begin with. Below are some pics of the change.

Upgrades

1. Electric Radiator Fan 10/15/11
2. Cs-144 Alt 10/1/11

(Wip)
1. TBI
2. New fuel tank
3. AW-4 Transmission
4. Aluminum condensor
5. Custom Gauge Panel

Last edited by Wagoneerlover : 07-20-2007 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-28-2006, 05:04 AM
350 Buick

Very interesting project

I will be very interested to learn how you ground everything when you wire the gauges and the dash, and to see how you finish it up as a final product. Going for the dash doubles as a mirror effect?

Kenneth
Seats! 4 inch SKYJACKER suspension lift, 33X12.5 in
BFG Mud Terrain Tires on 15X10 in ProComp Rims.
New BJ's chrome-moly rear axle shafts, 3.73:1 diffs and ARB Air Locker!
Old 10-28-2006, 05:50 AM
Gear Head

looks good! i would like to put some round gages in my wagon, let us know how it all works out
Old 10-28-2006, 08:08 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

I was considering the same thing myself. I hate these gauge panels. Unfortunatly, my narrow imagination I can't figure out how tolay it out that it won't look like everyone else's. Kinda reminds me of my 79 Chevy pickup dash. Grounding should't be hard. Terminal strip all the grounds, daisy chain the hots then just run your individual sensor and out to lights. That's how we used to do it when i was rigging boats for Ocean Master. Except for the blinkers of course. Keep us posted, looks like your doin good. BTW what extra two gauges are you putting in?
1997 Ram 1500 5.2 33in Falken Rocky Mounts for haulin
Old 10-28-2006, 11:39 AM
350 Buick

The extra gauges will be transmission temp and oil temp, and a tach. I may possibly loose one of them and need a second alt gauge as I am planning on installing a second alternator. (But I guess I will cross that bridge when I get to it). Assuming I can figure out how to set up and wire in a second alt properly.

Upgrades

2. Cs-144 Alt 10/1/11

(Wip)
1. TBI
2. New fuel tank
3. AW-4 Transmission
4. Aluminum condensor
5. Custom Gauge Panel

Last edited by Wagoneerlover : 10-29-2006 at 12:28 AM.
Old 10-28-2006, 02:29 PM
FSJ Maniac

Interesting... I've got an 86 and wouldn't mind some day putting in aftermarket gauges... curious to see how you do this. If it works you should make it into a kit like Zack did with the old style gauges. Two things are holding me back for now: 1) my gauges all work and I have 2 spare dash assemblies and 2) I'd rather spend the money for custom gauges on other things. But, it would be very cool to have custom gauges. Someday...
Old 10-29-2006, 12:41 AM
350 Buick

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimniok
Interesting... I've got an 86 and wouldn't mind some day putting in aftermarket gauges... curious to see how you do this. If it works you should make it into a kit like Zack did with the old style gauges. Two things are holding me back for now: 1) my gauges all work and I have 2 spare dash assemblies and 2) I'd rather spend the money for custom gauges on other things. But, it would be very cool to have custom gauges. Someday...

I am completely with you on that Shimniok. My to do list/wish list for my rig is so long that I dont know where to begin. However the gauges were a constant irritation and with a new engine and no clue as to what the oil pressure reads or what level of fuel I have, or the speedometer that is intermittent. I knew it was time to do something about the gauges.

Upgrades

2. Cs-144 Alt 10/1/11

(Wip)
1. TBI
2. New fuel tank
3. AW-4 Transmission
4. Aluminum condensor
5. Custom Gauge Panel
Old 10-29-2006, 02:17 PM
Gear Head

NOT LOOKING BAD. I LIKE IT. KEEP US POSTED WITH HOW EVERYTHING TURNS OUT.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:54 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Looks good, but where are you going to mount it? Here is the one I have for '86 and up...

Zack
www.zmjeeps.com
zack@zmjeeps.com
Old 10-30-2006, 08:43 AM
FSJ Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmjeeps
Looks good, but where are you going to mount it? Here is the one I have for '86 and up...
Zack

Cool. That'd be a direct bolt in. Tempting, were it not for the fact that I just got another gauge cluster bringing my total of spares up to 4.

As I was picking parts from the Jeep from which the dash came, it seems the entire 86+ dash 'framework' for cluster, heater, glovebox, etc., is essentially one unit that bolts to the metal framework of the rest of the dash.

This gets me to thinking that if a guy were skilled enough to fab something that didn't look like crap, he could completely revise the dash layout as an entire, bolt in unit without having to actually remove the dashpad, leaving no limits to the imagination (or the number of gauges or electronics you could stick in).

As my rig stands, it is a bit of a hodge-podge with ham/cb radios, compasses, gpses, locker controls, thermometers, and soon to be added inclinometer gauges, and video screen for spotter cam, and laptop for navigation in case FEAT gets called up. Sure would be nice to reduce the clutter and have all of it truly integrated into a restyled dash.

Stealing JC's idea, the radios, gps, nav, music, (and more) could conceivably be run off of a computer with one or more screens (touch screen or screen with input buttons). Hmmm...
Old 10-30-2006, 09:32 AM
Master Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimniok
This gets me to thinking that if a guy were skilled enough to fab something that didn't look like crap, he could completely revise the dash layout as an entire, bolt in unit without having to actually remove the dashpad, leaving no limits to the imagination (or the number of gauges or electronics you could stick in).
This is where the dash in my '86 is headed except that I had to loose the dash pad. It was in bad shape. I've got some aluminum plate that I'll be making into a long instrument panel and then overlaying the dash framework.
As it stands now, the dash looks like it vomited wires into the vehicle.

Wagoneerlover, definitely keep this thread updated. I think the '86+ dashes are ugly, so I like to see what people do to give them a little more style
Old 10-31-2006, 01:42 AM
350 Buick

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmjeeps

Zack

Well, I am actually going to do a little cutting of the area around the stock gauges (The actual dash plastic). Also I have removed the black OEM cover. (I actually am much better at woodwork than I am at metal work and I intend to design a new wood cover for the entire area. I actually love trying things and designing. (However, I think that your products are great qaulity, but I have always been the type to design things on my own and sort of give it my own flavor/vision. For everyone else, I have been sending them your way!!). Besides whenever I get into a project I always try to make sure that I have an excape hatch in case things dont work out. If for some reason or another I cannot get it to work (After trying and failing 500 times) a certain business with a Z in the title will be getting an order for a gauge panel. Additionally, it was inevitable that I do this project as I was already re-wiring the rig as well. Pics of that in another thread.

Upgrades

2. Cs-144 Alt 10/1/11

(Wip)
1. TBI
2. New fuel tank
3. AW-4 Transmission
4. Aluminum condensor
5. Custom Gauge Panel

Last edited by Wagoneerlover : 10-31-2006 at 03:10 AM.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:51 AM
350 Buick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Burden
This is where the dash in my '86 is headed except that I had to loose the dash pad. It was in bad shape. I've got some aluminum plate that I'll be making into a long instrument panel and then overlaying the dash framework.
As it stands now, the dash looks like it vomited wires into the vehicle.

Wagoneerlover, definitely keep this thread updated. I think the '86+ dashes are ugly, so I like to see what people do to give them a little more style

I agree the stock gauges I have always hated. They more look like they belong in some late 70's early 80's race car than in an SUV. Or whatever anology may be out there for them. I have always hated them, replacing them is pricey and in my opinion not worth it if you can get higher qaulity gauges at a lower price that will look better and perform better. (Note: I asked the dealer how much he wanted for a replacement oil pressure gauge and he said it would be 87 dollars). I got the autometer one for 49 or so. Hmmmmmmm. wonder which one he thought I would purchase.

Upgrades

2. Cs-144 Alt 10/1/11

(Wip)
1. TBI
2. New fuel tank
3. AW-4 Transmission
4. Aluminum condensor
5. Custom Gauge Panel

Last edited by Wagoneerlover : 10-31-2006 at 03:08 AM.
Old 12-09-2006, 05:26 PM
350 Buick

more pics up now!!

Upgrades

2. Cs-144 Alt 10/1/11

(Wip)
1. TBI
2. New fuel tank
3. AW-4 Transmission
4. Aluminum condensor
5. Custom Gauge Panel
Old 12-10-2006, 05:48 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

WHERE?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagoneerlover
more pics up now!!
Old 12-21-2006, 10:26 PM
350 Buick

90 percent completed!!

Almost finished everyone, as you can see I gained three additional gauges over stock (Not installed yet,) and I feel that it looks good and I can still see the gauges as I need to. I still have to order a tachometer, oil temp and trans temp gauges. Besides that the golden olides gauges look like they belong in these rigs IMO. Yes all of the lights and gauges do work, even the low fuel light. I had to actually pull the gauge panel apart again to get these pics as I was already finished so dont mind the dates. This project ties into my other project (The re-wiring of the rig completely) this was sort of a by-product of that.

One Member asked how I grounded all these gauges, its simple. simply run a 16 gauge or so wire to each gauge and chain that into a large 10 gauge wire (Make sure that the 10 gauge wire is grounded to the body or the frame etc) a pic is below..

here is a pic of the gauge panel after painting it. I decided that the Golden oldies gauges would really look nice against a black background. (I tried a few other colors too grey, green etc but I liked the black the best.)

A pic of the harness (Partial photo) That I made for the gauges.

Below is a pic of the finished product less three gauges. (I still have to get a tach, and have to figure out how to create Golden Oldies Trans Temp and Oil Temp._

Last but not least a pic of the completed project inside the dash panel.

Upgrades

2. Cs-144 Alt 10/1/11

(Wip)
1. TBI
2. New fuel tank
3. AW-4 Transmission
4. Aluminum condensor
5. Custom Gauge Panel

Last edited by Wagoneerlover : 12-21-2006 at 10:36 PM.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:07 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Looking good. You should a write up on the schematic and a pic through the steering wheel would be good.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:46 AM
Shade Tree Shaman

Awesome, The new dash design from 86 up has never impressed me. I doubt I'll ever bother to change it. But if I did, I would go retro with an engine turned piece of aluminum or stainless and chrome bezels on round gauges. Anything that eliminates the stock oil pressure sender would be an improvement. I'm lucky to get 2 yrs out them in my 88s. In less than 10k miles I went through 3 of them. I dont have much hope for the sender I just installed. I got it from A-Z and noticed as I was installing it that it is from Taiwan
Old 12-22-2006, 10:31 AM
Master Mechanic

How did you fasten the plate to the dash?
Holley Truck Avenger 670CFM
Mickey Thompson Wheels
Dick Cepeck FC-II
Killer 32 Nurf Bars
Comp Cam 260H
MSD Distributor, Coil and Controller
Edlebrock Headers
Dual Exhaust 2 Flowmaster 50's
Old 12-22-2006, 10:32 AM
Master Mechanic

What are the final dimentions of the plate?
I didn't see any screw holes.
Holley Truck Avenger 670CFM
Mickey Thompson Wheels
Dick Cepeck FC-II
Killer 32 Nurf Bars
Comp Cam 260H
MSD Distributor, Coil and Controller
Edlebrock Headers
Dual Exhaust 2 Flowmaster 50's