International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 02-25-2002, 07:57 AM

Forgive me if this question has been answered 550 times. I took my stock roof rack off my 91 wagoneer to have the car painted. I SPECIFICALLY told the body shop not to touch the wellnuts that hold the rack on . Actually I told him i didnt care if he painted them, just dont touch them. Reason being that I had this problem when I repainted my 77 chief and my 81 chief.( Duh! didn't learn from my mistakes) I couldn't find the right size wellnut anyhere. Of course when I picked up my car from the body shop this morning the body shop has tried to pry the wellnuts out of my roof "to do a good job" He broke all but 2. The dealer found the part on the computer but they are the wrong size( and of course he cant help) Right now I have the rack on with short drywall screws into cork from old wine bottles that I cut up and shoved into the holes on the roof. If someone sneezes to hard it will fly off. Any ideas or does anyone know the size of the wellnut that fits the factory screws and factory holes in the roof and where I can find them. Lastly the two last holes near the back window seem to be shallow. Is there a certain # wellnut for this applicaion or are they all one size?
Thanks in advance to anyone who could help.
1991 Wagoneer<br />4\" suspension lift<br />rancho rs 9000\'s<br />american eagle 15x10<br />33x14.5 mickey thompson hp\'s that\'s all for now..<br />also Jeep TJ 2001 60th anniversary<br /> 1962 austin mini<br /> 1970 cuda 440 6 pack convert<br /> 1979 930 Turbo Porsche 11,883 orignal miles!
Old 02-25-2002, 08:33 AM
Grease Monkey

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ryan:
Forgive me if this question has been answered 550 times. I took my stock roof rack off my 91 wagoneer to have the car painted. I SPECIFICALLY told the body shop not to touch the wellnuts that hold the rack on . Actually I told him i didnt care if he painted them, just dont touch them. Reason being that I had this problem when I repainted my 77 chief and my 81 chief.( Duh! didn't learn from my mistakes) I couldn't find the right size wellnut anyhere. Of course when I picked up my car from the body shop this morning the body shop has tried to pry the wellnuts out of my roof "to do a good job" He broke all but 2. The dealer found the part on the computer but they are the wrong size( and of course he cant help) Right now I have the rack on with short drywall screws into cork from old wine bottles that I cut up and shoved into the holes on the roof. If someone sneezes to hard it will fly off. Any ideas or does anyone know the size of the wellnut that fits the factory screws and factory holes in the roof and where I can find them. Lastly the two last holes near the back window seem to be shallow. Is there a certain # wellnut for this applicaion or are they all one size?
Thanks in advance to anyone who could help.
<hr></blockquote>

Ryan:

I just happened to have a wellnut in my car....I just painted my 75 chero with the rack off. Some of the nuts got painted, some were broken, and I bought some new ones. Had this one left over.

The ones on my chero are marked
Wellnut 1/4-S 3-266

I would assume it is 1/4" size.

I get mine from a place called Kingsport Fasteners in Kingsport, TN....Give them a call maybe they could ship you some. USA (423) 378-4717.
Old 02-25-2002, 09:00 AM

WN,
Thanks a ton. This will save me the headaches. Calling them now. Did the ones near the tailgate fit?
Ryan
1991 Wagoneer<br />4\" suspension lift<br />rancho rs 9000\'s<br />american eagle 15x10<br />33x14.5 mickey thompson hp\'s that\'s all for now..<br />also Jeep TJ 2001 60th anniversary<br /> 1962 austin mini<br /> 1970 cuda 440 6 pack convert<br /> 1979 930 Turbo Porsche 11,883 orignal miles!
Old 02-25-2002, 09:26 AM
Grease Monkey

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ryan:
WN,
Thanks a ton. This will save me the headaches. Calling them now. Did the ones near the tailgate fit?
Ryan
<hr></blockquote>

Yes, they are all the same size. I think at the back it is hitting one of the support braces that goes across the top. The neat thing is they pop in from the outside and then when your screw starts tightening up the rubber expands and holds the nut in. Hope the guys in Kingsport can help you.

If they can't ship them to you, I'll buy some and ship them to you. They are fairly cheap...

[ February 25, 2002: Message edited by: wn ]</p>
Old 02-25-2002, 09:27 AM
Jeep Doctor

Just for reference, I've found exact duplicates at a local ACE Hardware, in one of those pull-out boxes with specialty fasteners in it. The 1/4" wellnuts (that's how they're labeled) had the thin top washer just like the stock wellnuts, so the rail bracket wouldn't sit too high.
Old 02-25-2002, 09:34 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Talking

And I'd make sure the SOB at the body shop gets the bill! Why should you have to pay for their ignorance?
Old 02-25-2002, 11:51 AM

I just picked up 12 from my local Jeep dealer for my 88GW. He had 6 on hand and ordered the other 6 from the chrsler warehouse. You can still order direct from jeep if you don't mind paying a premium. They were pretty expensive at $2.25 each, put they fit and work perfectly.
Chris<BR>88 GW <BR>Stock except for:<BR>TFI with a MSD6<P>93 YJ<BR>2.5 suspension lift and 33\" BFG MTs<BR>RS9000 in cab remote<BR>Ramsey REP8000<BR>Custom storage and bumbers plumbed for air<BR>Lot-o-lights and Optima<BR>K&N
Old 02-25-2002, 03:05 PM
Master Mechanic

I saw them at lowes last night in the specialty fasteners section. I don't remember the price but they are there!!
Old 03-17-2018, 12:54 PM
AMC 4 OH! 1

old post, but linky given by searching

at the local ACE hardware they are called expander plug, and are standard size, not metric unlike the oem version which is 6mm... $1.40 ea without the screws. A bit smaller on the top lip and thicker, so not the exact replacement

See Ouray 2013, Engine bits and Fuel and brake lines, and Body work