International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 03-11-2003, 02:37 PM
258 I6

Talking

Anyone ever heard of using wooden clothes pins on the fuel lines to cure vapor lock? I had an old guy at work tell me to clamp a few of them on the fuel lines before and a few after the pump. He said that it helps draw the heat out of the lines. I just wrote it off as one of those "yeah,right!" kinda things (much like your normal info-mercial reations [img]tongue.gif[/img] ). The funny thing is,I've got a buddy that's an ASE certified mechanic at a local Dodge dealership. I was discussing the vapor lock situation with him,making no mention of the old guy's clothes pin reccomendation,and he told me the exact same thing! "Put a couple of wooden clothes pins before and a couple after the pump to draw out the heat." Hmmmm......anyone tried this? Seems to good to be true,but I can't argue with my buddy,he's been right on about everything I've brought up to him before
Old 03-11-2003, 02:45 PM
FSJ Maniac

Don't know, but if you put a clothes pin with a playing card in it on the back tire of your schwinn stingray, it makes it sound like a motorcycle when you ride really really fast.

Kidding.
Old 03-11-2003, 02:47 PM
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Originally posted by GlennTX:
Don't know, but if you put a clothes pin with a playing card in it on the back tire of your schwinn stingray, it makes it sound like a motorcycle when you ride really really fast.
LMFAOAROLF

HAHAHAHAHA
Old 03-11-2003, 02:57 PM
Auto Trannie God

works every time ......like blowing a light dusting of baking soda across the carb of a running engine will seat rings........and painting the inside of a block with elec motor paint stops sludge and lowers the running temp
Old 03-11-2003, 03:14 PM
Gone,But not Forgotten.

Cool

Georgia Mike
... There are some good reasons that the clothespins will work but in the 100s of vapor locked vehicles I’ve seen it was NEVER a lasting fix and never worked for me. normally when a vaporlock probem starts it will progresively get worse.
... My Dad had a 56 Caddy and the Caddy shop replaced everything in the car from the carburetor back including the fuel tank and didn’t fix it. We then put an insulator under the carburetor, electric fuel pump and rerouted the fuel lines for a fix. We don’t know which fixed it but it was fixed.

link&gt; VAPORLOCK FIX

Good Luck and CUL … ds..
Old 03-11-2003, 04:55 PM
Master Mechanic

I have been hearing it for years. My boss swears it works everytime. But who knows...
Old 03-11-2003, 10:59 PM

I tried this in my 85 GW and it did help but not for long. The problem was solved by replaceing the radiator and water pump for me!
Old 03-11-2003, 11:31 PM

I suppose adding some sort of heat sink to the fuel lines will probably help a bit, but wood is a very poor conductor...
Old 03-11-2003, 11:32 PM

A friend of mine wrapped his fuel lines in aluminum foil. He says it keeps the fuel cool [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-12-2003, 09:35 AM
258 I6

I guess you need to change the clips every so often,huh? I guess they can only take in so much heat before they clog up LOL!! [img]smile.gif[/img] Anyway,I've got all the stuff to swap mine over to electric,except time Mine already has the plastic spacer thing under the carb,so that's already done for me. This thing is driving me nuts!!! It's vapor locked on me 3 times,and almost a fourth time when my wife was in it with me(and it's only 70 degrees out). She already hates it,and I'm sure that wouldn't have made it any better on me! LOL!!
Old 03-12-2003, 11:24 AM
Master Mechanic

I have heard about the clothespin thing, but for the reason Mikel mentioned, (poor conductor) I have my doubts.

Just checking, here, but you DO have the top outlet from the fuel filter going back to the tank and the bottom outlet going to your carb... right?

If it were me, I'd be ditching the mechanical fuel pump and going for the electric, then you can reroute the gas lines to a cooler location.

good luck

Cheers,
Robert
www.rbk3.com/fsj
1980 Jeep Cherokee Laredo WT 360/727/208
1980 MBZ Euro 300D 4-speed manual - Oil Squeezer
1984 MBZ Euro 300D 5-speed manual - Oil Squeezer
Old 03-12-2003, 01:01 PM
258 I6

By "top and bottom outlets"--which is which,the center outlet,or the offset outlet? And where is each supposed to go? I'll have to check that one out,as I didn't install the filter,although,it does look like it's brand new unit.I've not even had this rig a month yet. I'm still getting those little new-to-me vehicle "suprises",like the exhaust that flexes from the front joint on the cat to the tailpipe,there's not a single tight joint on the whole system!! No wonder I smell like exhaust when I get out of it Anyway,the fuel pump swap is this weekend,and the exhaust repair should be next weekend! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Any reccomendations for mufflers,like something you've got that's out of the ordinary that I wouldn't think of? I was thinking of a Dynomax 2.5" oval muffler,but don't know if I'll actually get any sound improvement from it being as how it's still gonna be single exhaust. I'll probably just go with Summit's 2.5" $15 in-house muffler. I've heard some good stuff about those [img]smile.gif[/img] I just want a good mellow tone without all the loudness. Know what I mean? Thanks,guys! You're being a great help already!
Old 03-12-2003, 01:25 PM
Master Mechanic

the center outlet goes to the carb, the offset outlet sits in the 12 o'clock position and goes back to the tank.......phil

[ March 12, 2003, 07:27 PM: Message edited by: oddfire ]
Old 03-12-2003, 01:38 PM
258 I6

OK,please bear with me here,but by "12 O'clock position",do you mean it needs to be in a certain position relative to the angle,or just the offset outlet goes to the tank,and I should stop reading so much into it? [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] Right now,IIRC,the outlets are pointing upwards,but the return outlet is at the lower point. Should I rotate it upwards? I know it's probably an elementary question,but I have to ask!
Old 03-12-2003, 01:50 PM
Master Mechanic

yes the return line to the tank needs to be straight up, on top, in the horizontal position if looked at from the end.......phil

[ March 12, 2003, 07:51 PM: Message edited by: oddfire ]
Old 03-12-2003, 03:36 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

also check your gas cap, it it is not venting properly it will draw a vac on the tank and make it like it has vapor lock.
Old 03-12-2003, 05:23 PM
Auto Trannie God

go on ebay and do a search under (MOJO BAG) put it in the glove box(not love or wealth type) on a full moon night and find a hunch back to ride around with in a grave yard and and a crossed eyed cat and all your problems should clear up .............. let me know how well it works
Old 09-16-2010, 09:17 PM

Clothes pin and a little water

I'm working on a '51 Willys Jeep Station Wagon and am pulling the motor from a '53 Willys Aero. I've had 2 different people who have wanted to look at it and both have noticed the clothes pins that were left on the fuel lines from back in the day when it was running. They both gave me the vapor lock reason on why it was there and both remembered doing it with their own vehicles. 1 of the 2 men told me that it does even better when the clothes pins are wet. He told me that he could remember back around that time when people would carry jars of water and would occasionally poor it over the pins and then continue on their way. The license plate is from '62, the person who was driving it at the time apparently believed it worked. And fyi, it did have 1 before and after the pump.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:37 PM
Rabble Rouser

The real cure for vapor lock: sell the dang jeep
Hunter S. Thompson .

Old 09-16-2010, 11:23 PM
Cherokee Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambler68
The real cure for vapor lock: sell the dang jeep
BLASPHEMY!!!
AMC 401 - Pro-FLo 4 FI
NV4500/NWF BB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd