International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 06-11-2002, 08:11 AM

Arrow

Hello. I was wondering what the lengths were for the springs on my 74 cherokee. i think Th backs are 56" but I want to be certain. I was also wondering if any other makes of springs (ie checy or ford) will fit? The reason being, the tallest non custon spring I have found was 6" lift from Rusty's and I have heard bad thing about them. Thanks for the help guys,
Mike
Old 06-11-2002, 09:44 AM

Can't help you on the spring length.. sorry.

I do have a question for you...look at the mounting of your rear spring packs... are they mounted on posts coming off the frame or enclosed in a box style mount?

Just curious...thanks

BTW... reading your sig tells me you will be posting alot of questions her shortly... Be glad to help answer some for you...
Old 06-11-2002, 09:57 AM
Master Mechanic

FYI, The springs from Rustys are only 4" lift springs with 2" blocks.
Old 06-11-2002, 11:06 AM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally posted by River Beast:
Can't help you on the spring length.. sorry.

I do have a question for you...look at the mounting of your rear spring packs... are they mounted on posts coming off the frame or enclosed in a box style mount?

Just curious...thanks

BTW... reading your sig tells me you will be posting alot of questions her shortly... Be glad to help answer some for you...
Hello, I am the same guy that has been emailing you about your spring inversion kit. I do have the post setup but Will be changing that soon.
Thanks,
Mike
Old 06-11-2002, 12:02 PM

Gotcha!!!...
Old 06-11-2002, 12:23 PM

Rusty's kit will *NOT* work on the back of your rig. They springs will work on the front, but not the back.

I made this mistake...and I dont want others to do the same. What I had to do was do a shackle flip in the rear. The front springs are nice. I kept my 2" blocks in the rear...rear sits about 2" higher then the front. Should have gottenn 6" springs up front..but ohwell.

1981 J10 AMC 258 with TFI and Weber 32/36 DGEV Carb with a BJ's Aluminum Radiator, T176, NP208, D44/M23 with 4.56 gears and Detroit Locker, 6" lift, 33x12.50 TSL's, BJ's Offroad Rear Bumper.

1975 Cherokee *Sold*
1989 XJ Limited *Sold*
2005 KJ Limited 3.7, 42RLE, NP242
2008 JK 3.8, 6sp, NP241, 2.5", 33's, 4.56's
Old 06-11-2002, 03:25 PM

No one apears to be interested in this but, just for fun, I'll toss it out again.
Rear post mount, 3-4" lift, Chevy replacement springs by Triangle Springs, made in Mexico.
Here is the pic with part # and bar code, talk to a good spring shop, they can fix you up.

You will need the jeep bushings pressed into the replacement Chevy springs. It works, I like them, nice and stout.

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

Quote:
...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...

Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Old 06-11-2002, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tadsal:
No one apears to be interested in this but, just for fun, I'll toss it out again.
Rear post mount, 3-4" lift, Chevy replacement springs by Triangle Springs, made in Mexico.
Here is the pic with part # and bar code, talk to a good spring shop, they can fix you up.
You will need the jeep bushings pressed into the replacement Chevy springs. It works, I like them, nice and stout.
So chevy springs will fit my cherokee front and rear?

Thanks
Old 06-12-2002, 05:53 AM
Gear Head

tadsal, How much did those springs set you back? What should I do/where should I go to get a similar set? Thanks. -Zach
Old 06-12-2002, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BigBadWag:
tadsal, How much did those springs set you back? What should I do/where should I go to get a similar set? Thanks. -Zach
How did you level out the back to compensate for the front soa?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 06-13-2002, 06:39 AM
Gear Head

Actually I didn't do the SOA, the previous owner did. All I can see that's used to lift the back is 3" blocks and MAYBE a set of springs with a slight lift over stock. The reason the Wag sits level now is because the front spring packs only have 2 leafs Apparently the PO just used less leafs with the spring over so as not to get much higher than the rear. This will be changing whenever porkchop produces his rear shackle flip kit Hopefully I'll buy his kit and then buy new springs for the front and end up sitting about 4" higher all around Seems like the shackle inversion is about the only way to compensate for the front SOA. -Zach
Old 06-13-2002, 09:03 AM

Originally posted by coolguyinjeep
Quote:
So chevy springs will fit my cherokee front and rear?
Pretty sure they only fit the rear of our post mounts, I have the chevy shackles with jeep bushings in them. I kept them on top of the post, below was too much lift (about 7" and would need a shim).

Originally posted by BigBadWag
Quote:
Mine were $321.02, both springs, 2 chevy shackles, 6 bushings, labor & tax. Any good spring shop should be able to set you up with these or make them. I've used Neil at Southwest Springs here in Tucson for several vehicles. Look for a shop that does big trucks and race cars (you know snoop around) these guys get very creative and have tons of X refrence books.

Be sure you take really good measurments before you take your springs off. With load & without load, eye to eye and depth of arch. I got myself in a heap trouble by not being very precise with the fronts.
I don't have SOA and probably won't, Sally will out live me and won't get in it if I lift it amymore.

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

Quote:
...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...

Self Inflicted Flesh Wound