• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GWJeeper
    232 I6
    • Mar 28, 2019

'91 Whitewall width

Ok, so quit laughing....my wife hates the white letter Toyos on our GW so even though they have less than 10,000 miles on them I'm in the market for a set of whitewalls. Anyone know what width the original WW's on a '91 were. Okay now you can laugh
    '91 GW
    2000 TJ
    '41 Ford Real honest to gosh woodie
  • DarkMonohue
    Shakes hands with danger
    • Jul 01, 2012

Are you asking about the width of the tire itself or of the white stripe? If the latter, choosing tires based on the width of a white stripe may be sort of like choosing a puppy based on the width of his collar. There are other factors to consider, some of them fairly critical. That said, here's the '91 brochure for visual reference:

Realistically, though, it may be a case of taking what you can get. To be direct about the matter, it has been a few years (read: many decades) since whitewall tires were fashionable enough for tire manufacturers to give the buyer many choices.
    '85 J20 Old Man Truck, bought @ 65K miles - not great, but better than walking.
    Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
    High quality junk here: intro thread and slow build thread

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.

Comment

• Brynjminjones
      258 I6
      • Jun 11, 2017

I've got the closest to stock I could find on my 1991. I've just been and measured for you - the stripe is just under 1".

They're Cooper Trendsetter SE 235/75R15s, which I believe are the same tires that Wagonmaster put on all of theirs.

I've been really pleased with them so far. They've been on for about 2 years/15,000 miles and no problems or wear to report. The whitewalls still clean up really nicely too!

I'll see if I can find a decent pic for you

Edit, here you go:

Waggy Tires by Brynjaminjones, on Flickr
      Last edited by Brynjminjones; 05-26-2020, 05:47 AM.
      1991 Grand Wagoneer - Hunter Green. All stock. Rebuilt 360, .030" over with Melling MTA-1 cam.

1998 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0
      1997 Grand Cherokee (ZJ) 4.0
      1974 Ford F100 390

Comment

• GWJeeper
        232 I6
        • Mar 28, 2019

DarkMonahue, I realize the market is pretty thin for whitewalls especially when you eliminate Coker from the mix. I run Michelins on our other vehicles but sadly they aren't producing WWs. I was just wanting to get as close to correct as possible on the best quality tire I could find. Thanks
        '91 GW
        2000 TJ

Comment

• GWJeeper
          232 I6
          • Mar 28, 2019

Brynjminjones, I really appreciate you taking time to measure your whitewalls for me, they really pop on your GW. I'll give Coopers a good hard look, I was a little put off by the recalls they've struggled with the last couple of years but hopefully the problem has been corrected now, thanks.
          '91 GW
          2000 TJ

Comment

• Brynjminjones
            258 I6
            • Jun 11, 2017

No problem!

I really have been happy with these, not a bad word to say. I forgot to mention - they were cheap too!
            1991 Grand Wagoneer - Hunter Green. All stock. Rebuilt 360, .030" over with Melling MTA-1 cam.

1998 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0
            1997 Grand Cherokee (ZJ) 4.0
            1974 Ford F100 390

Comment

• SOLSAKS
              304 AMC
              • Jul 25, 2016

I have the cooper trendsetter (whitewall) on an 88 wagoneer
              ride great
              no problems

also have more aggressive set of coopers on a 2004 rubicon

cooper is a good company as far as I know

and they are made in the USA last time I checked !!!

dave in NC
              SOLSAKS - dave
              1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
              1982 J-10 Fleetside
              1988 grand wagoneer
              2004 RUBICON jeep
              Benson, NC

Comment

• 61Hawk
                258 I6
                • Jul 18, 2009

There's always Diamondback Tires.

Comment

• DarkMonohue
                  Shakes hands with danger
                  • Jul 01, 2012

Originally posted by GWJeeper
                  DarkMonahue, I realize the market is pretty thin for whitewalls especially when you eliminate Coker from the mix. I run Michelins on our other vehicles but sadly they aren't producing WWs. I was just wanting to get as close to correct as possible on the best quality tire I could find. Thanks
                  That's fair enough, though in considering correctitude, one has to wonder how much consideration the factory stylists gave it at all. I'm trying to imagine a tense, pitched argument in some smokey, wood-paneled boardroom in which guys in short-sleeve polyester shirts and ties with greasy combovers fought tooth and nail over every last sixteenth of an inch of whitewall. That Rolls Royce-style impassioned pursuit of perfection seems at odds with the distinctly Soviet build quality of my J20, which seems to have been built by either a clinically depressed sloth or a driveway-full of Webelos hopped up on Count Chocula and black cherry Kool-Aid.

Boy, do I sound cynical. And I apologize for that. But it's always kind of amusing (to me, anyway) to contrast the tony, exclusive image that Jeep wrapped the GW in against the misshapen, oily, indifferently slapped-together pile of leftovers I occasionally haul my blackberry bushes around in. Sometimes I wonder if they even came out of the same factory.

With all that nonsense out of the way, I took a quick look at the selection at TireRack and Discount Tire. Looks like it's either Cooper or Hankook. I don't think Hankook is necessarily bad, but Cooper would be my choice. There are other options elsewhere but most of them are sort of "house brand" price-point tires. The exception to that was a couple of Toyo models, though Toyos aren't always easy to find.

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.

Comment

• GWJeeper
                    232 I6
                    • Mar 28, 2019

Originally posted by DarkMonohue
                    With all that nonsense out of the way, I took a quick look at the selection at TireRack and Discount Tire. Looks like it's either Cooper or Hankook. I don't think Hankook is necessarily bad, but Cooper would be my choice. There are other options elsewhere but most of them are sort of "house brand" price-point tires. The exception to that was a couple of Toyo models, though Toyos aren't always easy to find.
                    Have to agree, Coopers seem to be the logical choice. I tried to make sense out of Diamondbacks website but they appear to operate by receiving an order then planting a rubber tree. I've never heard a bad word about their product but the process seems to be a bit involved. I didn't see any Toyo whitewalls listed anywhere.
                    I'm just not ready to bet my life on Hankooks, Kumhos etc.
                    '91 GW
                    2000 TJ

Comment

• 61Hawk
                      258 I6
                      • Jul 18, 2009

Have to agree, Coopers seem to be the logical choice. I tried to make sense out of Diamondbacks website but they appear to operate by receiving an order then planting a rubber tree. I've never heard a bad word about their product but the process seems to be a bit involved. I didn't see any Toyo whitewalls listed anywhere.

It's been several years since I placed an order with Diamondback, but at the time you called them up and placed your order. If you had a special tire you wanted to use they'd get that tire and vulcanize the white wall on to it.

Kumho makes a Michelin LTX clone, Michelin's patent ran out on that tire pattern. It's the #1 tire selling in it's class on TireRack.com and $50 less than the Michelin.
                      Last edited by 61Hawk; 05-27-2020, 10:54 AM.

Comment

• GWJeeper
                        232 I6
                        • Mar 28, 2019

Originally posted by 61Hawk
                        Kumho makes a Michelin LTX clone, Michelin's patent ran out on that tire pattern. It's the #1 tire selling in it's class on TireRack.com and $50 less than the Michelin.
                        Might thought on the Kumho is that just because it's a copy of a Michelin LTX doesn't make it a Michelin LTX
                        '91 GW
                        2000 TJ

Comment

• 61Hawk
                          258 I6
                          • Jul 18, 2009

Might thought on the Kumho is that just because it's a copy of a Michelin LTX doesn't make it a Michelin LTX

True, but reviews show that people that have purchased them are happy with them. Do whatever you want, I'm just saying that Kumho tires aren't deathtrap tires like some here are saying. If it's the #1 rated highway tire on TireRack there must be an awful lot of idiots out there.

Comment

• DarkMonohue
                            Shakes hands with danger
                            • Jul 01, 2012

I've owned at least a few sets of Korean tires and never had an issue, nor have I ever heard of any problems with them. Korean products in general seem to be very well made. My biggest complaint is that in most cases they were just...tires. Nothing special. But I'd still have the Coopers just to (one assumes) keep a little more currency on this continent, if not in the country.

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                              Señor Jackhead
                              • Aug 21, 2002

I had this 84 GW in 88 & 89. The nicest Jeep I ever owned. My daughter was almost 3 here. I loved those fat whitewalls!

Flint
                              Ran when parked.
                              http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
                              88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
                              76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
                              http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

Working...
                              X