International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Diesel Swaps

Old 02-19-2005, 02:47 PM
King Browless

Quote:
Originally posted by ohioj20:
Has anyone put a GM TH 700 in their FSJ? If so, what did you do about a gear selector? Did you use a different column, a floor shifter or somehow use the factory column?
As I read this thread of posts,
TH 700 Over Drive

I noticed that ohioj20's tagline read that his 1982 J20 was powered by a 6.2L Diesel
and his 1990 Grand Waggie is in the process of being converted to a 6.2L Diesel.

Not wanting to hijack that post, I've created this new post to publicly ask about your J20.

First, I've noticed you are a new member and one that lives in Ohio.
I wanted to Welcome you to our forum and the madness of the hobby of Full Sized Jeeps.
Where in Ohio do you live?

Now, about your J20 with the 6.2L Diesel.
How do you like it?
Does it have enough power for you?
Does it do well towing?

What things about your conversion did you learn that you could pass on to the rest of us.
Meaning: What things would you do different, do better, not do at all.

Did you make your own engine mounts or did you use some type of Small Block Chevy Mounting Kit?

Was the wiring hard to figure out?
I'm sure you had globs of wires left over from the 360.
(unless you have one of the ultra rare, never seen in public, diesel with has spark plugs! HAHAHA)

I also take from your other post that you used a TH400 tranny and thus is the reason you were asking about a TH700R4.
Did you make the '82 transmission crossmember work or did you get one from an earlier rig that original came with a TH400?

What transfercase did you use?
Did you have to get custom driveshaft built?
Any shifter problems?

In a friendly, hoping you'll understand kind of way and not trying to be nosy, but was your conversion costly?
Rather, now that you have completed the conversation and are out the other side, was it economical to convert from a gas 360 to a 6.2L diesel?

I have more question, but I better stop now.
Thank You for your time.
1981 J20: Commercial flat bed. Long term Project: RUST! No Cab Brow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrodoh
...but if it works, I wouldn't touch it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindel
Best laid plans, yada yada yada...
Old 02-20-2005, 01:48 AM

i dont have any of these answers for you,but am curious to see them as well,as i have a 6.5 diesel with a banks turbo to go into my 68 c30. not a FSJ swap,but still a swap into an older,gas engine equipped rig. i didnt keep much of the wiring harnes from the donor,as im told that the 62 and early 6.5s are mostly mechanical,with little computer controls. ive done plenty of engine and axle swaps,but am alittle confused about how to wire up the diesel and ger 'er runnin [img]smile.gif[/img]

ohioj20,what part of ohio are ya in? im in dayton,ohio,and looking forward to your answers. maybe i can buy you lunch sometime and pick your brain about diesel swaps

[ February 20, 2005, 07:57 AM: Message edited by: scotty ]
38" TSL SXs
chopped,bobbed and caged

http://nightcrawlers4wd.20megsfree.com/index.html\

http://mytrailrigs4x4.20megsfree.com/photo.html\
Old 02-20-2005, 01:56 AM
King Browless

Scotty, if you and ohioj20 set up some kind of a dinner, I would enjoy it very much if I could tag along.

I've got a zillion questions about putting a 6.2 or 6.5T in a older rig.
I've been surfing/lurking over at the The Diesel Page's forum to learn all I can about 6.2 and 6.5T diesels.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-20-2005, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by The PIG Smith:
Scotty, if you and ohioj20 set up some kind of a dinner, I would enjoy it very much if I could tag along.
sounds good to me.

im building a 68 c30 to use for a new tow rig.im building a gooseneck trailer big enuff to haul 2 of our rigs to the trails,and i know i can never afford to haul all that around with a gas engine

ive always loved diesels,just dont know that much about em yet
38" TSL SXs
chopped,bobbed and caged

Old 02-20-2005, 10:00 AM

Hello! add yet another name to the "Ohioans interested in a 6.2 Diesel into a FSJ" list. I didn't know there was so many of us! I would love to swap a 6.2 into the wifes 88 GW but I have A LOT of questions. If you can find someone who is willing to share info I would love to get in on it.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:07 AM
Master Mechanic

I thought the older 6.2 used the nailhead or bop bell housing pattern is this true (would simplify a lot of things). Another interested party.
78 pacer on 75 chero frame thats shortened 10\" and shackle reversal, D60 front with spool,14ff with detroit locker 4.56s in both,500 hp/500 ftlb torque 401,built 727,208 to divorced 205 doubler,on 46x21 ag tires
78 cj 360, 3spd, scout 44s with detroits SOAed with 36"tsl and beadlocks
Old 02-20-2005, 11:10 AM
King Browless

Nate, I am not from Ohio, but Fort Wayne, Indiana is less than 20 miles from the IN-OH border.
I sure hope that I can join the "Ohioans interested in a 6.2 Diesel into a FSJ"
&lt;just kidding&gt;

Putting a 6.2/6.5T in a FSJ is something I have thought about for quite sometime now.

I sure hope all three of us, Scotty, you and myself can hook up with ohioj20.

My Offering: I will pay for dinner (food only, I will not pay for alcohol) for ALL of us,
if we can setup a meeting sometime that ohioj20 can share with us his secrets! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-20-2005, 01:10 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Alright guys!! I'm in NE Ohio, close to Akron. The J20 got her 6.2 two years ago. It came from a 1984 GMC Van. It had the TH 700 tranny, but I didn't have the money to buy an adaptor for it to my t-case.

Alright, we removed all the electrical wiring that was for the engine, glow plug wiring, wait to start light, water in fuel light, etc. I also used the motor mounts, but had to make new frame mounts to put on the J20. We used the ignition wiring for the J20. Oh, took out the glow plug relay also. Wiring wasn't that bad, and no polution crap to worry about. The motor fits in snug around the heater box and the brake booster. We did use the Jeep brakes, as GMC uses hydrulics for brakes, but wouldn't hurt to have a belt driven vaccuum pump as well as the gear driven one.

Now, the 6.2 has the same bellhousing as a Chevy 350, as for the bellhousing a bought from a bone yard was for a 350. Now, we had to get an 1/4" steel plate to make our own adaptor for the bellhousing and the T-18. Luckily my cousin is a true machinist. So, that saved the money from Advance Adaptors, which want $300 for the same thing.

The great thing is, I can access the glow plugs from inside the fender, and it is ALOT easier than changing spark plugs from a AMC 360!!

As for how I like it. I LOVE it when it is above 45 degrees out! If you don't plug it in when it gets colder, it is a pain to start. Also, you don't have the room for the two batteries GMC uses. Need to get the biggest cranker you can squeeze in there.

I also had to use the van's filler nozzle, or you couldn't fill the truck up with the stock jeep nozzle. I also had to cut out the area into the tank, to allow a bigger pipe to go in(diesel foams when filling). Another perk, I put in the van's 30 gallon tank where my spare tire goes, so I now have 48 gallons at 22 MPG, you do the math!

Towing: It doesn't take off like some madden woman, but tows great. It did get hot on a real long grade, but didn't over heat. I also used the stock AMC 3 core on it, just had to get the ports changed. I would recommend a 4 core, that is what I have for the GW. I also bought an electric exillery fan to use to prevent that on the J20. The gearing in the J20 and the T-18 is perfect for a 6.2 I will get pictures of the set up soon, the J20 is covered up for the Winter so Ohio Salt doesn't eat her up!

Now, the GW is a work in progress, I have the motor, but I am currently in the process of body work and paint. My plan is to use the TH 700 from the van, but I got a TH 400 that came with the Suburban for the GW. My only concern is the weight of the motor on the front axle of the GW.

Now, if I left anything out, let me know or feel free to ask more! E-mail me if you want at piakp@yahoo.com
Old 02-20-2005, 01:15 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

I forgot to add, my dad is putting a 6.2 in his 87 GW, so by the end of his, we should be "experts"!! Or nutty FSJ freaks!
Old 02-20-2005, 01:20 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

****, I forget things!! My original plan was to use a Cummins 4BTA 3.9 L, but they are too tall for a FSJ and still heavier than a 6.2

Also, I would LOVE to put a BANKS in it, but since they didn't put a 6.2 in FSJ, BANKS can't guruantee the fit or how to make it fit.

You asked if I could do it over, I would, I would also to love to have had a Non turbo 6.5, but I got these two 6.2's off of my cousin dirt cheap. $400 for the 84 and $500 for the 85

Don't know if this matters, but have a 3" lift I'm putting on the 90 GW.

So, if you live in the NE Ohio area and want to see the set up, let me know.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:33 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

One more! Was it economical? I can say yes, only because I got the diesel cheap and I didn't have to spend money on an adaptor. I only had to buy a new glow plug controller and glow plugs, K&N air filter. Also, the AMC got 10 MPG, the 6.2 gets 22 MPG on the highway and hell, it got 14 MPG towing, a lot better than the AMC did empty!!!

Now, the GW, I'll have to buy an adaptor, $400, I got new controller and glow plugs, plus I may get a floor shifter for it. It will cost me more for the GW, but still worth it. If I get 22 mpg or better, it is worth it. Your talking longer miles between oil changes, better fuel milage, better towing, and fuel prices tend to be consistant.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:38 PM
King Browless

Thanx for the reply, ohioj20!
You have accomplished only what I've dreamed about.

I would very much like to see your rig.
I hope you can make the 2005 Midwest FSJ Gathering.
It will be in August at Silver Lakes, Michigan.

2005 Midwest FSJ Gathering

Also, maybe in this summer, we could get to together, like in Columbus, Ohio and have dinner.
This is so few of us (Scotty, AMC Crazy and myself) could examine your rig and get ideas for our own 6.2/6.5 Diesel conversion.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-20-2005, 01:59 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

I think we could do a meet half-way in the summer. I have my summers off, a perk of being a teache! keep in touch.
Old 02-20-2005, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The PIG Smith:

Also, maybe in this summer, we could get to together, like in Columbus, Ohio and have dinner.
This is so few of us (Scotty, AMC Crazy and myself) could examine your rig and get ideas for our own 6.2/6.5 Diesel conversion.
yup,that works for me. im prolly half way between you and colubus if you come straigt across 70,so we could carpool from here if you want [img]smile.gif[/img]

sounds like a good time to me
38" TSL SXs
chopped,bobbed and caged

Old 02-20-2005, 05:37 PM
Master Mechanic

Sorry guys I am not from ohio It would be a little bit of a drive for me!! But I am still interested in the info. I just looked locally and found a guy with a 84 6.2 4x4 2500 auto(did they ever come std ) for $1200.
78 pacer on 75 chero frame thats shortened 10\" and shackle reversal, D60 front with spool,14ff with detroit locker 4.56s in both,500 hp/500 ftlb torque 401,built 727,208 to divorced 205 doubler,on 46x21 ag tires
78 cj 360, 3spd, scout 44s with detroits SOAed with 36"tsl and beadlocks
Old 02-20-2005, 10:53 PM
King Browless

I am sorry AMC Crazy that I did not mention your name as I suggested that we get together to look at ohioj20's truck.

ohioj20 said that he would post some pictures later and I will also take some pictures if ohioj20 allows me when he shows it to us.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-21-2005, 01:33 AM
King Browless

Quote:
Originally posted by AMC crazy:
I thought the older 6.2 used the nailhead or bop bell housing pattern is this true (would simplify a lot of things). Another interested party.
I just went back and re-read everything.
(Like a kid with a new comic book, re-read every word!)

Before the 6.2L Diesel, GM built an Olds based 5.7L Diesel.
They had some serious issues with headgaskets as a result of poor headbolts.
Other 5.7 fastener failures have cause other lower damage/problems.
Sadly, in these first few years, they received a bad rap.
There are many that do not like this Diesel engine, but after installing a ARP fastener kit, they are a decent engine.
The Olds 350 Diesels are excellent in a large full sized rear wheel drive car or in a light duty pickup truck.

I am member over at the The 350 Diesel Page.
There are member there that have built insane levels of power from these engines.

The 350 Diesel Page

Because they have Oldsmobile origins, the Olds 350 Diesels have the BOP bellhousing bolt pattern.

6.2 and 6.5 have always had the standard Small Block Chevy bellhousing bolt pattern.

Other tidbits and trivia for others reading these posts:

The 6.2 and 6.5 weigh slightly more than and Small Block Chevy but slightly less than a Big Block Chevy.
They are roughly the same physical size as a Small Block Chevy.

Generally, for a pre 1980 rig that came with an TH400 Automatic transmission, this swap is fairly straight forward.
Use a GM bellhousing bolt patterned TH400, add SBC engine mounts, solve some radiator and some wiring issues, go for test drive.

Even thought I have never performed this swap, I have studied it for many years and have many hours researching this topic.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-21-2005, 02:24 AM
304 AMC

This is like reading a recipe book for a World Class rig. I've been a strong advocate of diesel and diesel conversions since I first read about Tony Capanna at WilCap Interprises in Torrance, CA. I mentioned them once before. Chilton Books also has a fine little book out called "Chilton's Guide to Diesel Cars and Trucks". A bit dated but a great read.

Don't get me wrong, I still like the AMC 360/401. Even if it is an enigma to most and parts are hard to come by. It's just that the Diesel engine is such a simple concept with built in strength and longevity.

I will avidly read anything that any of you put on the board. There are many Jeep diesel conversions here in England and many 'from the factory' Jeep diesels here.

Good Lovin', Good Beer, and a Grand Wagoneer. What more could one want?

1984 Grand Wagoneer My therapy
1988 GMC Suburban soon to be retired. . .SOLD
2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS/LX Wifes DD
2003 Dodge TD 4x4 long bed
Old 02-21-2005, 02:58 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

There is also a place in California that is working on making an adaptor for a Merecedes 5 Cylinder diesel to a GMC manual and automatic transmission, but I think they are a few years away before the sell any. The Benz diesels have a great rep for going well over 250,000 miles. Plus, they are a great length for a FSJ.

Also, International Scouts used a Nissian 6 cylinder diesel in the late 70's and early 80's.

I think why the 6.2/6.5 diesels have a bad rep is because people "assume" (*** out of you and me) they are the same as the 350 diesels. Chevy hurt the diesel market with those 350's. Nice idea, but not all ideas need to be produced!

As for a 6.2 with a manual? I've never seen one, but I don't know why they wouldn't have. It makes the motor work great for towing.
Old 02-21-2005, 02:58 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Oh, here is the site for that place working on the benz adaptor.

http://4x4labs.com/diesel.html