trailer tires vs LT tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Made up my own axle after bending a couple.....2 1/2" reciever hitch tube, .250 wall, 3/8 plate on each end, with corner gussets, drilled for dana 44 spindles. Used spindles and hubs from the same type rig, to get same bolt pattern, and run the same size on trailer and tow rig. Had everything on hand except the tube, and was able to do the welding myself (auto body tech).

Even if you have a local fabshop put it together, shouldn't run too much.

Never liked or trusted adapters.

3 x 5 not going to be real useful, IMO, but to each his own needs
    Last edited by goldhammer; 11-13-2017, 11:35 AM.
    Art
    ASE Master Collision Tech
    "Beast" - 81 "S" W/T, 85-360, T-18, Lock-rite,wag alloys, 31-10.50 Pro Comp MT's, Warn 8274 in a fabbed bumper/deer strainer(tested and approved)

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.

Comment

• alley oop
      232 I6
      • Jul 20, 2014

well after searching the inter-web for week and not find anything i like in the adapter world. decided not to go the adapter route I decided to change the axle, i found a trailer part supplier where i can get a 3500lb Dexter axle with 6x5.5 hub,axle seats,lug nut, u-bolt kit with the custom hub face measurement for 134.95 with free shipping, just never could convince myself to add another piece to the pie with the adapters, it cost me a tank of gas and a old afb/carter 4 barrel carb in trade for the trailer and a trip to Granite to get it.
      Last edited by alley oop; 11-30-2017, 09:10 PM.

Comment

• SJTD
        304 AMC
        • Apr 26, 2012

Your pichers don't show.
        Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• J20 project
          304 AMC
          • Dec 27, 2000

2K trailer...3X5. Gonna get 2K on that? haha...
          Anyway..use D rated tires for what you are doing.
          Bigger trailers get E rated....You should be running D rated on your Jeep if you wheel in anything other than the mall.....Rocks are tough on lesser tires.

J20 project
          BP Drivetrain...........

Driveshafts for all Jeeps, Constant velocity rebuilds, Replacement, Repair
          775-537-7918

https://www.facebook.com/BPShafts/

Putting this back up. "Someone is gonna have to crawl under the rig"

Comment

• alley oop
            232 I6
            • Jul 20, 2014

no j20 we don't do any mall crawls in eastern Oregon,hell don't even have a mall in town,I will be using the trailer to haul mining equipment to my claim,

Running Goodyear Wrangler 31/10.50-15LT load index 109=2271lb on tow rig.

Goodyear wrangler 30/9.50-15LT on trailer with a load index of 104=1984 both set of tire should work find for the job.

Comment

• wasillashack
              230 Tornado
              • Jun 04, 2011

A recent trend here in Alaska is equipment rental stores will not allow rented equipment to be hauled on any trailer not equipped with trailer tires, and going a little further, they will not allow equipment to be hauled on any trailer they deem unfit for hauling. Unfit being defined by them, not by any regulation or law. Some see this as a result of attornies suing anyone for frivolous purposes, others see it as rental companies wanting to increase revenues by making sure they get delivery fees

If you have no plans to haul rental equipment this will not be an issue. Food for thought. Good luck!

Comment

• rixcj
                258 I6
                • Aug 02, 2007

I was told that trailer tires differ from truck tires in the respect that they "slide sideways" better.

Vehicles can steer, so their tires can roll along more easily.

Trailers, especially multi-axle ones, can't steer, so when going around a corner, the tires slide sideways.

Goodyear Endurance are great trailer tires (made in the USA). Many of the overseas tires that come stock on trailers, campers, etc. are junk.

I run the Endurance tires on our 5th wheel camper.

Rich
                1979 CJ5 with a 401...it goes a short way on a lot of fuel...https://forums.ifsja.org/core/images...tom/drivin.gif

401, T176/ dana 300, amc20 (Mosers), D.U.I. HEI, Edelbrock Performer intake, Holley 670, ps/pb, 'glass tub, 1 pc tilt nose.

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

Comment

Working...
                X