• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SagginWagon401
    232 I6
    • Feb 15, 2013

FSJ Newbie build help

Let me start by tellin you what i have, 1980 wagoneer with a 83' 360,TF727(?), and an np219 transfer case, 44 up front and amc 20 in the rear... I've been doing a fair share of research (at least i think so) on what i think i want to do.... here's my "idea"... edelbrock performance RPM heads and intake matching cam 650cfm thunder series avs carb, suspension wise i really like COLOFIREMAN's stance but i have read a soa/sf are the way to go as far as articulation and smoothness of ride... i have no idea about what all goes into a soa/sf as far as steering an the actual soa, and i don't know about if the trans and transfer case can handle the 480? Hp and 430? Torque i know ill need beefier axles... I'm tryin to fit 35s 38s or more ha and i know i want lockers but what gear ratio drivelines etc....
  • SagginWagon401
    232 I6
    • Feb 15, 2013

This will be a daily driver and used for road trips, towing, camping etc.....

Comment

• mud89
      304 AMC
      • Nov 18, 2009

Can't help for the soa, but i'd rather choose 33s or 35s, not 38s, for a daily driver used for road trips.
      J10 sportside '81, J10 Golden Eagle '77, Wagoneer '65, Gladiator '64 + parts rigs

Comment

• SagginWagon401
        232 I6
        • Feb 15, 2013

Yea I've read 33s or 35s are a better for driving around but i was in the bigger is better frame of mind ha

Comment

• Headhoncho
          AMC 4 OH! 1
          • Oct 11, 2006

Good all around would be 35's & 4:56's. SOA will give you about 6" lift with stock springs. Rear would need TT Fab shackle kit. Front steering would need to be addressed as well as driveshaft angles, shocks, brakelines, ect. I wouldn't go any higher especially if you plan to tow with it. The trans should be fine and so should the t-case. Maybe a 208 will be a little stronger? and it will bolt right up.

JR
          [quote] "How does someone from Iran have a BJ's Offroad sticker but I can't seem to get one sent to New Jersey???!!!"

1980 Honcho Sportside w/37's, 351c, 14" lift, D44high pinion w/Aussie, crossover steering, 14b w/detroit, np435, 205, 5.13's, 4whl discs, hb brakes, OBAir, rusted out cab,
          1966 mustang fastback
          '07 Dodge Charger 3.5

Comment

• SagginWagon401
            232 I6
            • Feb 15, 2013

What all is included in the front steering adjustment/changes and driveshaft lengths/angles if i was to just do the soa/sf and run 35s? I'm aware of the extended brakeline and longer shocks but have no clue about the rest

Comment

• Tad
              • Nov 30, 2001

FSJ Dana 44 - SOA (spring over axle) Steering Solutions I?m making this post because we seem to be asked the same question on a reasonably regular basis. It will be a sticky for a bit, then it will get archived. The topic is pretty clear, Dana 44 - SOA Steering Solutions: It?s that simple, but I am going to impose a few

That's a good read on FSJ SOA steering solutions.
              One of the bad things about pic's and bulletin boards is people move ISP's, delete pic's or rename them and the images go dead. But it will give you a good deal of info and terminology you can research.
              2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
              EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
              Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• will e
                Always Broke
                • Nov 16, 2001

Hey, welcome.

I run 35" tires. It's about as tall as I would want to go for as a daily driver.

What kind of wheel'n are you planning on doing? What does the budget look like and are you doing to do it 'all at once' or over a period of time?
                82 Cherokee WT ? SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Comment

• SagginWagon401
                  232 I6
                  • Feb 15, 2013

Thanks for the link tad, and budget wise I'm not real sure ha it mainly depends on the amount of tax return... and the build will be over a rather extended time frame as i work 6 days a week... now as for wheeling ive got rocks, snow, ice, steep inclines and declines, narly deep and narrow mountain stream washouts, sand ad a little mud from time to time

Comment

• SagginWagon401
                    232 I6
                    • Feb 15, 2013

Does anyone have the edelbrock performance heads and matching intake and cam setup oor what is being used for block upgrades?

Comment

Working...
                    X