• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Iceman0502
    232 I6
    • Oct 27, 2010

Hydroboost Setup with 6bt

Everyone is doing it and knows to get there setup from Elliot.

- But what hoses are you using? Stock chevy dually or custom braided?
    - Is the thread pattern on the dodge 6bt power steering pump the same as the Jeep/ chevy hoses.
    - Use the stock proportion valve with front disc and rear drum setup?
    - What master cylinder - pre 1980 jeep or stock astro?

I have read through elliots thread, an theres so much information.
    Can a complete swap be accomplished by buying his hydroboost on ebay and then going to rock auto and buying new hoses from a 1989 chevy K300 (pump to hydroboost and hydroboost to gear), master cyclinder from a pre 1980 jeep (or astro).
    Seems to me like a $500 investment (not complaining)
    1982 Wagoneer - 12V Cummins - In Progress
  • poolmike
    232 I6
    • Mar 03, 2005

Most of it will be custom. Many different ways to complete it. You can purchase an adjustable prop. valve, or use the stock valve with stock power master cylinder. If you convert to 4 wheel disc, you will need a 4 wheel disc master.

I had to rotate my booster so the accumulator didn't interfere with the engine. It is a tight fit with the 6bt.
    '68 M715, Cummins P-pump 5.9, NV4500, NP205, 14 bolt/Dana 60, 20x10 American Racing Mojave's w/12.50R20 Michelin XL's, relentless rust....

Comment

• ross80truck
      232 I6
      • Oct 17, 2011

Not there yet on my build, but these are all questions I am going to have to answer eventually as well. So, good question!
      Life Priorities:
      1. God
      2. Wife
      3. Children ( Lane )
      4. Work
      5. Wagoneer

Man it is hard to keep them in the right order!

Comment

• tndonor
        258 I6
        • Apr 05, 2006

I too had to rotate the setup like poolmike. I had my hoses made locally as the length was different. Also, just because it is long enough on paper doesnt mean it will rotate enough to be connected. By the time I figured out what shipping would be and still not be 100% certain it would fit, the difference monitarily was negligible. The peace of mind knowing it would fit was well worth the few extra dollars...... and supporting a local business.
        1980 J10 4BTA (p pumped) NV4500, d300, np205. Dana 60s Sold and parted out
        1967 M715 Cummins 6B p7100
        HX35/HT3B compound turbos. NV4500. 203/205 Doubler. 14B FF 4.56 Detroit/ HP60 4.56 OX

Comment

• Resbum
          327 Rambler
          • Jun 16, 2010

Originally posted by tndonor
          I too had to rotate the setup like poolmike. I had my hoses made locally as the length was different. Also, just because it is long enough on paper doesnt mean it will rotate enough to be connected. By the time I figured out what shipping would be and still not be 100% certain it would fit, the difference monitarily was negligible. The peace of mind knowing it would fit was well worth the few extra dollars...... and supporting a local business.
          I don't know if I need to rotate my setup yet, but X2's on everything else he said. And the hoses don't necassarily need to be the braided.
          Originally posted by Resbum
          "What year is my truck?... Which part?" Build thread- http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/view...p=18290#p18290

Comment

• Swampfox89
            230 Tornado
            • Dec 05, 2010

I got my hydro unit and master from a mid 90's "Super Duty". Just found something that had disc front and back to match my truck. The 6BT that I used had an air compressor and a strait hydraulic pump on it with a remote tank. I rotated the hydro unit on the master to clear the engine, the brake lines are close to the p-pump. Doesn't matter if you have a ve pump. Ha the lines custom made at a local shop. Was all pretty strait forward.

Comment

• poolmike
              232 I6
              • Mar 03, 2005

With the above set up, there is no fuel shut off solenoid. There would be interference with the brake lines for sure. Chevy M/C's get plumbed on the opposite side.
              '68 M715, Cummins P-pump 5.9, NV4500, NP205, 14 bolt/Dana 60, 20x10 American Racing Mojave's w/12.50R20 Michelin XL's, relentless rust....

Comment

• lobie
                258 I6
                • Feb 25, 2011

Discount Hydraulic Hose covers all your hydraulics needs. Custom Hose Assemblies, Fittings, Adapters, & much more with quality services and support.
                77 Wagoneer | 6.0 | TH400 | NP205 | Sterling 10.5 | Dana 60
                07 6.7 Cummins 2500 4wd

lobie4x4.com
                CFSJC

Comment

• Resbum
                  327 Rambler
                  • Jun 16, 2010

Originally posted by lobie
                  Excellent website. Thanks for sharing. Just added it to my desktop.

This thread has some good info. I'm almost done painting my cab. Once I mount it I'm going to need this info.
                  "What year is my truck?... Which part?" Build thread- http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/view...p=18290#p18290

Comment

• ross80truck
                    232 I6
                    • Oct 17, 2011

Does anyone have a hose routing diagram? Needs to include hydroboost, power steering pump, oil cooler, steering gearbox and optional steering assist cylinder and optional filter.
                    Last edited by ross80truck; 03-08-2013, 02:51 PM.
                    Life Priorities:
                    1. God
                    2. Wife
                    3. Children ( Lane )
                    4. Work
                    5. Wagoneer

Man it is hard to keep them in the right order!

Comment

• lobie
                      258 I6
                      • Feb 25, 2011

Excellent website. Thanks for sharing. Just added it to my desktop.

This thread has some good info. I'm almost done painting my cab. Once I mount it I'm going to need this info.
                      I used the "field" fittings. They are reusable and you can do them yourself.
                      Use only with SAE 100R5 General Purpose/Truck Hose, including: Weatherhead H069, Parker 266 PKR, Gates C5C, and Aeroquip 1503. Recommended for air brake, fuel, grease lines, high temperature petroleum oils and medium pressure hydraulic applications.
                      07 6.7 Cummins 2500 4wd

lobie4x4.com
                      CFSJC

Comment

• lobie
                        258 I6
                        • Feb 25, 2011

Originally posted by ross80truck
                        Does anyone have a hose routing diagram? Needs to include hydroboost, power steering pump, oil cooler, steering gearbox and optional steering assist cylinder and optional filter.
                        Don't have a diagram but this is the route:
                        PS pressure to hydro boost
                        Hydro boost to gear box (hydro return to tank)
                        Gear box to cooler
                        Cooler to filter
                        Filter to tank
                        Tank to PS inlet (unless tank is attached to pump)

For the hydro assist, both lines run to an from the gear box. Not sure which but you could look at a gear box flow diagram.

That's how I ran my setup. I tapped the gear box for future use and put plugs in the holes. I tapped it when I rebuilt the box. Some do it when its together but I don't see how they get all the shavings out. I guess blow them out???
                        07 6.7 Cummins 2500 4wd

lobie4x4.com
                        CFSJC

Comment

• Resbum
                          327 Rambler
                          • Jun 16, 2010

Originally posted by ross80truck
                          This is a really low quality picture I just found buried in a folder, in the "Jeep build notes" section of my computer. Hope you can view it. If I remember correctly it's a GM diagram.
                          Last edited by Resbum; 03-11-2013, 05:58 AM.

Comment

• loosewrenchcowboy
                            232 I6
                            • Oct 08, 2008

why?

Ok so i gotta ask-why in the world does everybody doing a cummins swap switch to hydroboost? Dodge cummins trucks 1989-1998 all used vaccumm assist brakes. 1999 and up i have no idea. Heck if it works for a crew cab 4x4 dually.....? Unless ur running rockwell 2 1/2 ton axles and 44 inch tires, or swapped on huge 4 wheel discs, i'm clueless why you'd spend another $1,000 to stop ur jeep. I've heard complaints about the stock jeep stuff being weak, but after replacing my rubber brake lines with braided stainless, & running the stock brakes and master, with the factory cummins power steering pump/vaccumm pump i almost skipped my daughters head off the dash in a panic stop-man i got an ear-full for that.
                            And if u swap to hydroboost, how do u run the climate control system that is vaccumm powered?
                            i'm at a loss.
                            Ok, now somebody take me to school, lol
                            Last edited by loosewrenchcowboy; 03-28-2013, 09:03 PM.

Comment

• Iceman0502
                              232 I6
                              • Oct 27, 2010

The last post says it the best. Why spend so much on hydroboost.

My reason is for towing pruposes.

As far as paying 1000 dollars, no thanks. Its funny that you can buy the unit on ebay from elliot for 400 and bj so the same unit for 600.

Anyone try to use a junkyard unit. it looks as though everyone else is doing it. A used unit cost 50 - 100 bucks.

I was thinking of buying one from a 95 astro and it should bolt right to the stock aluminum block. The astro MC will be used as well.

My big question is..... Why do people install a spacer between the hydroboost and aluminum block. Is this to set the proper rod length to the pedal? Coudl I just cut/sleeve/weld the stock rod to shorten it?
                              1982 Wagoneer - 12V Cummins - In Progress

Comment

Working...
                              X